News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Last Two Women's Majors
« on: June 27, 2005, 07:11:40 AM »
Many times around Cherry Hills over the years (I may have missed some tree growth since last visit) and recent attendance at Bulle Rock (And experience with clubs in hand) lead me to believe that Bulle Rock was far more interesting than Cherry Hills both as a golf course and as a major venue.

Bulle Rock has 4 times the elevation change as CHCC and will indeed fit may more person's view of "great golf land".  If they'd tricked up BR as much as they did CH, they'd jsut be finishing right now (metaphorically, of course).

Which provided a more worthy champion or interesting championship?  Depends on your definition as always, but to me BR was more interesting.

wsmorrison

Re:Last Two Women's Majors
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 07:22:44 AM »
Bill V,

Did you miss how exciting the finish of the Women's Open was?  Don't you think the 18th hole was set up perfectly for the finish?  One of the all time great shots in US Open history (men's or women's) to win the title on the hardest hole of the tournament?

Bot were majors, though there's only one Open.  It was an Open set-up, thankfully not as constricted as the men's, but it is intended to be something different and it was.

I know you like to consider the course as it is, but I think there is room to think of it as it was and just maybe how it will be.

Any track that has Annika shooting +12 or whatever and amateurs shooting +4 and +5 isn't necessarily tricked up.  Those Flynn greens are not easy to putt.  The players that hit fairways and enabled themselves to hit close irons and putted well (or recovered out of the sand) were the ones at the top of the leaderboard.  I think the course showed who was playing best.

You and Mike Malone can get together and talk about how elevation requirements are necessary for more interesting golf.  I thought that was a great tournament.  Maybe they should have put the course in those mountains off in the distance.  What a dope that Flynn was for letting the club buy such a boring site  ;)

Ooops, I was reminded by Paul Thomas's reflection on another thread.  Tom Watson's shot on 17 was the greatest shot in US Open history.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 07:25:40 AM by Wayne Morrison »

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:34:44 AM »
as for Annika, I think the lady simply had a bad week and yes, the pressure may have gotten to her some

man, she's in a slump, isn't she??? ;)

Greg Couch in today's CHicago SUn-Times said she was the biggest disappointment there..

what a stupid he is....the lady wins the first two majors of the year, has won 6 of 9 events this year, and he writes that
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »
"Wayne
The elevation was used very cleverly - 9 and 18 severely uphill. (Very common in CO, BTW.)"

If you want the clubhouse at the top of an elevation and you want returning nines, that's what you get.

Again, I've not yet been to Cherry Hills CC and from this distant vantage I don't think it is one of the best Flynn courses.  But is it really as average as you let on?  

Please tell me in what ways it was tricked up.  Not having been there it is difficult to appreciate what was specifically altered to get it tricked up?  I liked the way the greens received approach shots and feel there was some decidedly poor decision making in terms of shot and club selection.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »
as for Annika, I think the lady simply had a bad week and yes, the pressure may have gotten to her some

man, she's in a slump, isn't she??? ;)

Greg Couch in today's CHicago SUn-Times said she was the biggest disappointment there..

what a stupid he is....the lady wins the first two majors of the year, has won 6 of 9 events this year, and he writes that

He was probably referring to the expectations everyone had but he is a clown to write that. ;) ;D
Best
Dave

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:37:45 AM »
I known he probably meant that Dave, but he should have definitely phrased it better

after all, he is a professional writer -- isn't he!?!?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 06:47:36 PM »
Redanman-

Does Bulle Rock really have 4x the elevation change as CHCC?

I find that statement hard to swallow.

Also, I think you really enjoy using the Reserved symbol (®). You seem to use it gratuitously. What's up with that?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 08:53:09 PM »
BillV,
You've been away from Colorado too long.  What do you think the elevation change is at Cherry Hills?  Have you forgotten about #5 and #10, and #11 and #12 and #14 and #16,... All these holes have wonderful elevation change.  You must be crazy if you think #18 is not a great finishing hole.  You probably don't like #18 at Riviera either.  Too tough for you I bet :)

Bulle Rock is a good course but it is not in the same league designwise as Cherry Hills.

Cherry Hills was not tricked up.  It was just set up hard because of the rough.  Again, the club championship set up for the members is harder.  

I don't advocate the narrow fairways at Cherry Hills one bit.  Read our article in Golf Tips Magazine for July, it is titled "Wide Open - A New Angle On Width".  You'll see what I think of narrow fairways.  

That was an extremely exciting Open and if you were there you would have seen what I mean.  Kim played great golf similar to Campbell.  Both were just not noticed much till the final round.  

I listened to Lang's interview in the media center and she was not phased one bit by the toughness of the golf course.  She said she was playing well and mentally very relaxed.  That seems to be a good combination.  Frankly, I didn't think Annika managed the course very well at all.  Hitting iron off the tee at #5 when Wie is hitting driver 5I onto the green doesn't make sense.  Her club selection on many other holes was very suspect.  She just didn't putt real well which definitely pressured the rest of her game.  If you don't think you can get up and down at an Open, you're dead.  

Tricked up is when the greens are hard and the approaches are soft or vice versa or when the pins are put in ridiculous places.  They were not.  They could have made it much harder especially on Sunday.  Early in the week, the greens were so soft balls were spinning back.  At altitude, the course was only supposedly playing 6000 yards long.

Let's not forget about Ochoa who was four under on the back nine and three under for the day untill she choked on the tee shot on #18.  

I know you like to debate but you need to back up your position much better then you have so far  ;)

Mark
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:48:42 PM by Mark_Fine »

tonyt

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 06:48:10 PM »
Given I just had more enjoyment watching three and a bit days play of the Womens' Open on TV as I have had watching any other golf event this year, I refuse to decry the course, whatever the setup.

Great event. It was compelling all the way.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »
Bill,
Regarding the par threes; I'm looking more at what will be there vs. what is there now so I can see how you are taking that position.  When completed, #6 and #15 will be outstanding.  #8 will be much improved as well.

Wie's comments just show lack of experience.  If you were there it was pretty darn obvious the golf course was firming up.  
Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back