News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Erin Hills
« on: June 17, 2005, 11:03:32 AM »
Came across this surprising quote in an article about the USGA's interest in Wisconsin for future sites:

Erin Hills, a highly anticipated course under construction just west of Holy Hill, also is on the USGA's radar.

Already, Tim Moraghan, the director of championships agronomy, and Mike Davis, the senior director of competitions, have visited Erin Hills.

"We were blown away by it," said Moraghan, who likened his visit to "how people felt when they first envisioned the National Golf Links and Shinnecock Hills on Long Island."

- Can anyone priovide more info about Erin Hills?

George Pazin

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re:Erin Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:33:20 AM »
Thanks for the link George.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »
Due to Ron Whitten's involvement in the design, Erin Hills will not be eligible for any Golf Digest awards.

David Fay is scheduled to visit the course on the week of August 8th.

Hurdzan/Fry "borrowing" from C&C again: they are using Rod Whitman to help shape the course (they used Jeff Bradley on 2004's Shelter Harbor).

"The course will have fescue fairways and a modest double-row irrigation system. Minimal watering will create a firm, fast turf that will provide bounce and roll. Although Erin Hills can be stretched to nearly 8,000 yards, it will play shorter than advertised.

Some of the design features are right out of the 1800s, including punch-bowl greens, drivable par-4s with tiny plateau greens and back-to-back par-3s, one of which requires a blind tee shot. The greens range in size from 3,000 to 12,000 square feet and the putting surface on No. 10 is 72 yards deep, which brings into play the dreaded 200-foot putt.

It will be all about golf at Erin Hills. No tennis courts or swimming pool, no home sites, no power lines, no holes bordering roads. Walking won't be mandatory but will be encouraged, perhaps by limiting use of motorized carts to a couple tee times per hour."

-Gary D'Amato, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

http://www.jsonline.com/golfplus/jun05/331991.asp

Chris Munoz

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:18:57 PM »
The only draw back I see with Erin Hills is that they are building California greens....pure sand...That will take some time for the those greens to firm up to play like a true links course.....I dealt with California greens at Shelter Harbor GC...I can say that the bunkers there are awesome.....It also depends on what they grass the greens with.....

Chris
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 08:58:38 PM »
Hey Scott,

Whitman's not a borrow from Coore and Crenshaw. Rod Whitman's Rod Whitman  :)
jeffmingay.com

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 10:51:26 PM »
Hey Scott,

Whitman's not a borrow from Coore and Crenshaw. Rod Whitman's Rod Whitman  :)

Jeff,

I know that (hence my quotes above).  Jeff Bradley's his own guy, too, but they've both worked with them enough that if someone else uses them, it seems like "borrowing".   ;)

The article I linked above mentions the C&C "use" of Whitman.

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 12:31:26 AM »

"The course will have fescue fairways and a modest double-row irrigation system. Minimal watering will create a firm, fast turf that will provide bounce and roll. Although Erin Hills can be stretched to nearly 8,000 yards, it will play shorter than advertised.

Some of the design features are right out of the 1800s, including punch-bowl greens, drivable par-4s with tiny plateau greens and back-to-back par-3s, one of which requires a blind tee shot. The greens range in size from 3,000 to 12,000 square feet and the putting surface on No. 10 is 72 yards deep, which brings into play the dreaded 200-foot putt.

When I read this, I can't help but believe that Mr. Hurdzan and Mr. Fry are greatly influenced by the recent work of other modern neo-classical architects.  It's great to see.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:51 AM »
I recently went on a 2 hour tour with the owner Bob Lang. Bob does not want to toot his own horn so I will. His vision and commitment to creating a world class golf course is inspirering.

In my opinion Erin Hills will turn out to be the best course in Wisconsin. It will be so much fun to play. How about back to back par threes with the second a Dell that you get a look at when you play the first par three. Or a split faiway par 5 with a natural biarritz green. Or a natural esker tee bording one of the largest tamarack stands around.It is simply an incredible site.

The golf course sits on 300 acres so it is Lawsonia like in its expanse. The whole site is around 500 acres. The owner is a homebuilder yet NO houses will be built or visable from any hole.

I am hoping to host a GCA.com event late next year. I believe they are starting to seed soon with a summer 2006 opening.

I have photos I will try to post tommorrow.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:47:27 AM »
Take a look:

www.erinhills.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
Good find, Steve.  I'd looked a few times in the past....

Based solely on pictures, I don't see anything more impressive here than at either Ballyneal or Prairie Club.   But that's just pictures.  I wonder if Fry's or Whitten's statement on the land would change if they saw the other two's land and routing so far.

There seem to be a few too many trees at Erin Hills.... ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back