News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Hendren

Jerry Pate - Golf Course Architect
« on: June 08, 2005, 10:18:17 AM »
Kiva Dunes and Limestone Springs are very good golf courses and Jeff Stettner was impressed by Old Colony.   Pate's Steelwood is generally ranked above those three.  Anyone familiar with his work in Alabama or elsewhere?  Is he (or associates) underrated?

http:www.jerrypate.com/golfdesign/
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Jerry Pate - Golf Course Architect
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:25:09 AM »
Shadow Isle, a big bucks private course, in Matt Ward's bailiwick is getting good reviews:

www.shadowisle.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:32:02 AM »
Mike, Jerry is a local boy from Pensacola and a longtime member of Pensacola Country Club.  The course has been budget-neglected for years and the effects of Hurricane Ivan -- 2,000 lost trees, drainage screwed up badly, lots of foreign grasses introduced by the high winds -- have caused the membership to move ahead with a remodeling project which Jerry will design for us.

Kiva Dunes, Old Waverly and Steelwood are all good solid courses although Kiva has a few weak holes and Steelwood has too many forced carries over wetlands for enjoyable member play.  I've heard good things about the Tuscaloosa municipal course -- is that Old Colony? -- and Dancing Rabbit.   I've been in Jerry's design offices and he has staff designers and the whole nine yards.  He is a golf pro, now active on the senior tour, who is actually an architect as well.   He seemed surprised I know what a "Redan" is, and has promised me one on the remodeled PCC.  We'll see!  ;)

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »
Jerry actually did the original routing of Four Streams in Maryland. Steve Smyers ultimately designed the golf course.

Jerry also worked with Ron Garl on several courses along the Florida panhandle. Jerry and his brother Jeff worked together for quite a while, however I thought I heard they parted company. They were involved with the remodeling of Tiger Point in Gulf Breeze after Jerry bought the course in the late 1980's. I do not know if he is involved with the renovation following the hurricane last year.

Jerry also remodeled Scenic Hills in Pensacola. Jerry was always very "hands on". It was not unusual to see him jump on a D-9 and start pushing earth.

Gerry B

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »
he also co-designed Indianwood (New) outside of detroit - heard it is a challenge - will stick to Indianwood old - good enough for me - and the raters seem to have voted the same way.

Heard good things about dancing rabbit

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
Jerry was always very "hands on". It was not unusual to see him jump on a D-9 and start pushing earth.

What a pity.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 09:59:01 PM »
Rob, Jerry's brother is Scott Pate, owner of Seaside Golf Construction.  He bids Jerry's construction work and does a very good job.  While courses here like Tiger Point and Scenic Hills are still closed nine months after Hurricane Ivan, Scott Pate had our course cleaned up and open in six weeks.  

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 10:47:08 AM »
I rather enjoyed Jerry Pate's Indianwood New course.  It provides a decent "compliment" course to the classic Old course.  There is even a couple holes that cross-over each other.  Both holes play to a double green.  A par 5 plays down the left side and the pin is on the right half of the green.  A par 3 starts on the right side and plays to the left half of the green.  You can call it a piece of manufactured "quirkiness" but I call it fun and memorable.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
I second Bill's comments. I am not a big Kiva Dunes fan either but do like Steelewood. The forced carries are an issue as Bill noted. I think Jerry is one of the better non classical designers. He has done some very good work and like most some very average work as well.

William King

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
I have played the Dancing Rabbit courses about 10 times, 6 rounds on the Oaks course and 4 on the Azaleas. Although I have not played many "big name" courses these are to this day two of the most memorable. The setting is pure nature with the clubhouse being the only sign of civilization in view on 2 holes of the 36 (1 Oaks and 18 Azaleas). Routing is such that only the hole in play is visible with a few exceptions. Challenging, yet fair. Memorable par 3s and some good short par 4s, along with one of my favorite par 5s anywhere (17 Azaleas).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 11:23:45 PM »
William King, I guess my only question about Dancing Rabbit is how much of the actual design work is Pate and how much is Tom Fazio or another architect.  I know he is the only credited architect on such courses as Kiva Dunes and Steelwood, but I think Tom Fazio is also credited at Dancing Rabbit.  Glad to hear you enjoyed them, I hope to get up there next fall.

William King

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 11:41:52 PM »
I have heard that the Oaks may reflect more Fazio and Azaleas Pate...the accuracy of these rumours is unknown. Having said that the two courses are distinctive so it is possible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back