News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Erdmann

Bandon Trails photo tour
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:02:55 AM »
With a number of comments being posted on Bandon Trails, I thought it might be helpful to post some photos taken last week (two or three of these are from last fall).

#1 - par 4, 392 yards:

approach to #1:

#2 - par 3, 214 yards:

#3 - par 5, 549 yards:

#4 - par 4, 408 yards:

approach to #4:

#5 - par 3, 133 yards:

#6 - par 4, 395 yards:

approach to #6:

#7 - par 4, 440 yards:

#8 - par 4, 321 yards:

approach to #8:

#9 - par 5, 567 yards:

fairway on #9:

approach on far left side of #9:

#10 - par 4, 418 yards:

#11 - par 4, 445 yards:

approach to #11:

#12 - par 3, 242 yards:

#13 - par 4, 401 yards:

approach to #13:

#14 - par 4, 325 yards:

approach to #14:

#15 - par 4, 406 yards:

approach to #15:

#16 - par 5, 530 yards:

fairway on #16:

#17 - par 3, 180 yards:

#18 - par 4, 399 yards:

approach on #18:

back up the 18th fairway from 1st fairway (hole plays right to left in photo):

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:03:52 AM by Mike Erdmann »

Mike_Cirba

Re:Bandon Trails photo tour
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »
Mike,

THANKS!!  

It frankly looks great.  I'm quite surprised that a few of the comments from those who've played it seem pretty reserved.

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:21:41 AM »
Mike E - VERY cool - many thanks - as if my appetite weren't whetted enough.. this is the first full pictorial I've seen of all 18 holes.  Looks fantastic to me... I share Mike C.'s confusion over the reserved comments from some.

But I shall see for myself, in three short days.

So Mike E - how do you place Trails overall?  Do the 10 round question for me, my friend... how many go to each of the three courses?

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:36:36 AM »
Mike,

Great pics.  How far is the carry to the fairway on #16 from
the tees the pic was taken?  Also, how much farther to the
bunker on the far side of the fairway?

It appears that any drive on the left half of the fairway (or
one on right side with a draw given the slope), your drive
would go through the fairway.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 09:36:53 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 09:46:15 AM »
The bunkering on this course is just beautiful. Gorgeous. Particularly in the image of the approach to #12.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 09:51:23 AM by Adam_Foster_Collins »

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 09:47:16 AM »
GREAT pics Mike, thanks!!

having played neither, it appears as if one gets to experience real solitude/isolation , even from the other holes at BT ala Pine Valley
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »
Thanks Mike...love the photos!

I would love to hear your comments about what you like and don't like about the course.  Is it better to compare it with other C&C courses or with its famous neighbors?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 11:56:41 AM by Pete Buczkowski »

james soper

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »
thanks for the great photos. ready to jump on a plane and play all three and the sheep ranch.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 04:48:50 PM »
Is it better to compare it with other C&C courses or with its famous neighbors?

The problem is comparing it with either, you are comparing it with some of the best courses in the country which isn't fair.  Tom Doak said it was in C&C top 5.  Of the C&C courses I have played I would place it behind Friars Head and Sand Hills and ahead of Cuscowilla.

Probably my reason for a muted response on this course is that it has a number of emotional ups and downs.  IMHO, the first 5 holes are great and then the course lets down a little until the 11th, 12th and 13th.  Fourteen is very suspect and then you have a great 15th followed by a suspect 16th and then a very pretty 17th in the trees and then a so-so closing hole the 18th.   I'm sure not everyone will agree with me on a hole by hole case but each hole is very different and in a different terrain which leads to these ups and downs.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 09:23:23 PM »
Great pics Mike.
Thanks for the tour.

I don't know about you other guys, but I think it's great to see photos on this website. Pictures really do tell the story, and besides, they're usually much, much different (i.e. better) than a course's website (i.e. "overhead" shots...who the heck plays golf from a helicopter?), if they even do have any photos of their course.
I was introduced to this website through reading the course reviews, and viewing Ran's photos of each course. I can't imagine a better visual aid to a written description.

Keep 'em comin' guys.

JJ

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:19:32 PM »
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  Some of us actually feel the obligation to stay productive during the work day though   ;D  I'm quite surprised at some of the comments on Bandon Trails as well.  I thought it was excellent.  Very much a Pine Valley feel, as others have commented.  I've wondered for some time if it would suffer in some people's mind because it lacks the ocean views, or the dramatic topography of the dunes on the other two courses.  Part of the charm is the distinct environments that you play through...starting in the dunes, moving into the meadow, through the forest, and culminating back in the dunes.

So Mike E - how do you place Trails overall?  Do the 10 round question for me, my friend... how many go to each of the three courses?

Tom, that's a good question, and I'm not sure I can give you a decent answer right now.  I've played 30+ rounds at BD, and 20+ rounds at PD.  Having only one full round now at Bandon Trails, I want to play it many more times to better appreciate it.  But, answering your question, I think I'd settle into a 5 Pacific Dunes, 4 Bandon Trails, 1 Bandon Dunes rota.  And yes, you really do need to work in a round at the Sheep Ranch!  When I went down last week, I went with three buddies who could care less about architecture (they insisted on stopping at Sandpines on the way) and they absolutely loved the Sheep Ranch.

How far is the carry to the fairway on #16 from
the tees the pic was taken?  Also, how much farther to the
bunker on the far side of the fairway?

It appears that any drive on the left half of the fairway (or
one on right side with a draw given the slope), your drive
would go through the fairway.

Scott, we played the back tees, and from there it's about 200+ yards to the fairway on 16, and nearly 320 to the far bunker on the left side of the fairway.   I think there's plenty of fairway on the left side to keep a ball from going through.  Don't ask me where I hit my drive though.  Let's just say I didn't get a chance to see if it ran through the fairway.   ;)

If anyone else built this course what would be said of the tree inside the fairway bunker line on #9?  ::)

Mike, the photo of #16 reminds me of # 14 at Quintero, is it similar in feel?

Bill, that's a fair comment about the tree on #9, but the photo is somewhat misleading in making it appear that the tree blocks shots from that bunker.  At most, it might interfere with a shot from the far left edge of the bunker.  I was actually thinking about the tree management issue the other day, and I can't think of another course anywhere that plays through a forest with less tree intrusion than Bandon Trails.

Does 16 have the same feel as 14 at Quintero?  Not really, other than the fact that they're both uphill par 5's with a bunker left some 300 yards plus or minus off the tee.  BT has much more width due to the prevailing headwind and plenty of fairway sideslope and undulation, while Quintero is pretty flat laterally as it slopes up the hill.   At Quintero you just have to keep it straight and avoid the bunkers left and right, while at BT the challenge is dealing with the slopes and the wind.

Haven't played Sherwood, so can't make the comparison.

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 05:29:07 PM »
Mike - muchas gracias - 5-4-1 - gotcha. What this tells me is that BT must really be something, if you find it to be that close to PD and that much better than BD.

As for Sheep Ranch, oh hell I am gonna find a way, and some compatriots.  It's just a matter of when.  Hopefully this time tomorrow will find me traversing it's fairways.. that is if there are such things there.   ;)

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
Mike -- so just how disappointed were your friends at Sandpines?  

man, was I pissed I decided to play there >:( >:( >:(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 11:20:49 PM »
Paul, they love Sandpines.  All those pretty containment mounds framing the holes!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back