News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Who You Guys Are - To me.
« on: May 06, 2005, 11:20:53 PM »
Have you ever though about how weird this is?

Have you ever stopped to think about how CRAZY it is that freaks like us, who can eat, sleep and drink something as frigging ODD as golf course architecture - EVEN when most of us haven't got a damned thing to do with it - beyond the fact that it dictates the stage for our obsession?

Well if you haven't, let me tell you - it IS.

I got to thinking about who you guys are. Who are the people behind these little notes that have me laughing, dreaming, looking at maps of far away places, checking their weather stats, and pacing the floor thinking of something smart enough to reply?

And it's even crazier how two-dimensional you all are!

I have so little to go on. What's a human being when seen only through the portal of a single one of his obsessions?

Well, I'll tell you. (Please forgive me if I miss you - I only have so much energy to write. You are ALL important to this fantasy world of cyber-philosophical-golf-related-discourse) I hope I don't offend anyone. This is all fiction and just me rambling on about people I don't really know - but who still affect my everyday life.

Note: I have never met, listened to, or seen (in real life) a single one of you. All of my experience has come from this board or some other form of written material.

Brad Klein:

Tall, thin, interesting and interested. Intellectual and a bit offside - the Frank Zappa of the golf realm.

Tommy Nacarrato:

Heavy-set, Dark, a nerd as a kid. Super smart, with a mind that can go anywhere - as can his mouth. He knows a little about an awful lot. He's fun, and kind, creative and intense. He's somewhere between David Lean, Tony Saprano and Lee Trevino. He has a deep voice and a soft heart.

Tom Doak

Tom was a dork as a kid too. He didn't discover girls until the tenth grade. Not because he didn't like them, but because he didn't think they liked him. He's a kind one - but he's careful about opening himself to injury. His opinions sometimes override his kindness because he's driven by a deep - almost religious sense of right and wrong - forgive him if he's pissed you off. He can't help it, because he's driven by a deep belief in what's best. That's the best any man can do.

JakaB
A pain in the ass. But one who knows that a pain in the ass can be the difference between never opening your eyes and seeing the light of day. He's a warm-hearted guy who is actually a lot softer than anyone might know. And he's afraid that you don't like him.

Tom Macwood

Tom is tall and thin and upright in appearance. He loves a library and tea in the evening. He trusts history more than innovation. He was close to his mother - maybe still is. He loves a warm kitchen. He's smart - but never smart enough to satisfy his own standards. But everyone else thinks he's one sharp cat.

TE Paul:

Tom is an older gentleman. I picture him in tweed - a jacket he always thought looked like something Old Tom Morris might have worn. He used to smoke a pipe - and never did throw it away after he quit. He's a sweet man - sharp and full of wit and warmth. He's a little bit elite - but he can't help it. He is impressed by a man who knows how to tie a good knot. Tom Paul is the living spirit of what we're losing in our world. I hope he's contagious.

Kyle Harris:

Is young and competitive and bright. He's alive and moving. He's connected to his roots and wants to keep it that way. He's got a lot to say, but he's only half-sure that it's worth hearing. He's here to find out. He's good. Better than he knows.

Lou Duran:

Short, strong and dark-haired. Lou works hard to appear as if he's a fortress unto himself. But he's not. He's as unsure as anyone, but hopes so hard that he's a good man that he seems to be a stone foundation of security. He's tough - but fair. He's honest and true and bull-headed and stubborn. And why not?

Jeff Mingay

Jeff is an up-and-comer. He wants to play with the big boys and respects all of those who have come before him in his obsession. He's hoping to be worthy of your respect. He's sharp and quick - he studies hard and consumes information at an incredible rate. He's articulate and eager to share. He's the future of this art - reach out to him, if you can - he'll appreciate it and remember it.

Ran Morrissett:

Is younger than you'd think. You'd imagine him as an older British Gentleman, but he's not. He's much younger than you think. Mild mannered, intelligent and thoughtful. Ran is a thinker and a doer. A natural leader - level for the most part, but has a streak of danger in him that can get him into tricky places - and has over the years now and then...

Maybe I'll add some more. Maybe I'll delete this. It just seems interesting to think about. Who ARE we to each other, anyway?

Maybe I shouldn't drink and post...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:27:19 PM by Adam_Foster_Collins »

John Kirk

Re:Who You Guys Are - To me.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:43:03 PM »
Aw, shucks...

Adam, it's nice to see unbridled optimism here every now and then.  Thanks for the nice post.

JK

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 12:23:15 AM »
Adam,

Great!  It's good to remember that most of us are here for the diversity of opinions and backgrounds that brought them forth.

Eric
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 12:24:20 AM by Eric Pevoto »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:18:01 AM »
Do you do horoscopes as well?

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 06:41:02 AM »
Adam:

That's great, and pretty funny too. You're pretty danged accurate about most and just a little off on some.

Now, if you can come within an entire zip code of describing what Patrick Mucci is really like we're gonna make you our resident psychistrist and seer on here and boot that, that, that, faker, louse and phony Dr Katz off this website and clear out of the treehouse.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »
Adam,

The only one I didn't agree with is Tom Paul, he would not be seen dead in a tweed jacket.  Tom is one of these annoying people that looks just about good in anything.  He is the Jose Morinnho of GCA, he always looks trendy no matter what he wears.  He doesn't smoke a pipe but he still looks good smoking his cigarettes!

I like your take on Tommy.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 08:55:42 AM »
Thats pretty frightening. When I first read Adam's description I was sitting in the library drinking tea with my mother, discussing why none of my clothes fit.

She said I should shop at Harry's Big and Tall.

Why couldn't come up with that. Idiot!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 08:56:20 AM by Tom MacWood »

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 08:56:07 AM »
Tom Paul has to be color-blind if you can judge by his clothing combinations.  Honestly, his wife should lay out his clothes every morning.  He also has the worst taste in shoes, unless you like clogs.  But he's one of the best persons I've ever had the pleasure to meet and I thank this site for bringing us together.  He sure makes long drives (like Miami to Philadelphia) fly by.  One, he drives fast and two, he tells the best stories.  What's more, they're all true!  And to his credit, he's starting to appreciate wine for being more than just red.  You can teach and old dog new tricks.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 09:28:12 AM »
Wayne,

Real wine is white, not red...  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 09:45:20 AM »
Kyle,

Now your youth is showing.  

I love red Burgundy wines and the wines of Bernard Dugat-Py and the Rion family (Daniel and Patrice) of which Tom is getting acquainted are absolutely great.  Also the Cepparello and Cabernet from Isole e Olena are wonderful Italian reds.

However I do like white wines, especially white Burgundies.  My favorite whites are by the late, great Robert Ampeau.  He made some of the very best white Burgundies produced in my lifetime out of his small vineyards; especially his Meursaults and Montrachets.

The Fleur de Passion and other Champagnes from Diebolt-Vallois blow away Champagnes at many times their price.

You've got a lot to learn, Kyle.  I didn't notice the wine appreciation merit badge on your uniform last time we played  ;D
I suggest going to Greg Moore's shops and you'll learn from one of the best.  For you New Yawkers, he just opened a shop in Manhattan besides his Delaware and NJ shops.  In Pennsylvania, we're under the thumb of the Liquor Control Board and their State Store system  :P

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:50:26 AM »
Wayne,

I was with a Rabbi's daughter for three years, my exposure to red wines has been somewhat syrupy. Thankfully, I didn't see Manischiewitz on your list of favorites, so you can probably sway me.

Talamore serves an excellent Merlot.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 09:54:38 AM »
Wayne and Kyle -

Regarding whites, I recommend looking at the Rieslings from Rheingau, Germany. Trouble is, the Germans export their sweetish (yuck) Rieslings to the US and keep the best (dry, fragrant, crisp wines) for themselves. It takes some looking to find a good Riesling here, but it's worth it.

We're still On Topic, guys, because Adam did mention drinking and posting at the start of this thread. ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 09:59:43 AM »
Voytek,

I hardly know anything about German white wines (never saw a red).  What I do know is, except for dessert wines, the drier the better and we rarely have access to the best.  Once I got a Bernkasteller (sp?) Doktor that was fantastic.  I haven't seen one since and would like to know more about these wines.  Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.  I know Greg Moore carries several wines from Rheingau and I think I'll give some a try.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 10:33:30 AM »
Wayne:

Try Schloss Johannisberg Kabinett Rieslings. Kabinett means that the wines are made to a higher standard (acid to sugar ratio, aging, certification, etc). Kabinett mit Praedikat is even a better grade. Ask your supplier for dry vintages/grades, however.

Careful with Spaetlese or Auslese - they could be sweeter, but are also more complex.

Cool wines are Trockenbeeren Auslese - the grapes are picked late, when they have already shriveled on the vines - sugar content is tremendous, and so is the complexity.

Eiswein is just that (Icewine) - the grapes are picked so late that icicles are hanging from them - strictly a desert wine.

If it sounds like I am a Riesling connoiseur - I really am not. I just like it. But that's what 3 years of living in the Rheingau area will do to ya - wine is all they talk about... ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 10:34:03 AM »
I think you described Ran pretty well. He's a charmer, too.

You didn't describe Paul Turner, but I'd bet he's nothing like what you'd guess a practicing physicist with a passion for Colt would look like. :)

I like Brian Phillips description of Tom P. Others had noted similarities to Andy Williams and Ben Crenshaw, but I never saw that. Brian's description is much more accurate.

Lou's not short. I recall being relatively close to the same height as him & I'm about 5'9"-5'10".

I played a couple weeks ago with another poster for the first time & he was quite surprised at how different I looked from what he pictured. So keep that in mind as you read my post.

If you could ever make a get together, Adam, I know you'd have a great time.

P.S. It's my bias showing, but I'm expecting Tom D to be 10 feet tall when I finally meet him someday. Same thing with Bill Coore at the HC outing. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:38:38 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 10:44:43 AM »

I played a couple weeks ago with another poster for the first time & he was quite surprised at how different I looked from what he pictured. So keep that in mind as you read my post.

I think it's amazing how human brain tries to adapt and find something that it is familiar with when given insufficient information. When I see George Pazin on GCA, I think Corey Pavin. Meaning a smaller guy.

Or is it just my brain???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:46:26 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »
Adam:  Remind me to never play poker with you.  ;)

JBergan

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 11:26:13 AM »
Voytek,

I hardly know anything about German white wines (never saw a red).  What I do know is, except for dessert wines, the drier the better and we rarely have access to the best.  Once I got a Bernkasteller (sp?) Doktor that was fantastic.  I haven't seen one since and would like to know more about these wines.  Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.  I know Greg Moore carries several wines from Rheingau and I think I'll give some a try.

Wayne,

Moore Bros has some great Rieslings.  I usually ask for recommendations depending on what I'm going to eat with it.  IMO, Riesling is probably the most versatile of all wines (I've had 'em super weet and bone dry), and the most suited for food/wine matching.

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 11:43:03 AM »
Vis a vis red wine, I have always agreed with Hillaire Belloc:

"The first duty of a wine is to be red.  The second is that it be a Burgundy."

PS--German whites are the most underrated wines in the world now, if you choose carefully, as Woytak has said.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 11:53:06 AM »
I think it's amazing how human brain tries to adapt and find something that it is familiar with when given insufficient information. When I see George Pazin on GCA, I think Corey Pavin. Meaning a smaller guy.

Or is it just my brain???

I was always a Corey fan, given the similarity in our names. As for physical similarity, not really. As I stated, I'm between 5'9" and 5'10", a (too) solid in the torso 190 lbs. I'm not sure others would agree, but if you saw The Golf Channel recap of last year's US Open with Retief giving his thoughts, he's pretty much what I look like, 'cept he's taller and fitter. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
Tom MacW:

On post #6---are you serious?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 12:36:56 PM »
AFC,

You really missed the mark on this one.
[/color]

Ran Morrissett:

Is younger than you'd think.

It's called immmaturity.
Ran wasn't a dork or nerd in his youth, but became one as he aged.
[/color]

You'd imagine him as an older British Gentleman, but he's not.

The only reason one could ilmagine him as a british gentleman is because, irrespective of the weather, he's always wearing a trench coat, especially where women seem to congregate.
The number of flashing and streaking complaints has risen dramatically in the Pinehurst area since he moved there several years ago.  

Local authorities and FBI profilers believe it's the work of a dual or tri personality disorder, someone who moved into the area to get closer to golf, yet is frustrated that they don't understand the game, how to play it and its architecture.  

They feel that this individual is attempting to compensate for his lack of length by distracting golfers from their pursuit of par, a frustrating score beyond his reach.

Most victims have been frightened because the raincoat flasher gets so close to them.  Authorities believe it's due to the fact that intitial flashing incidents caused little alarm due to the victims indicating that they couldn't tell the individuals gender from 20 feet.  
[/color]

He's much younger than you think.

Not really, it's called immaturity.
[/color]

Mild mannered,

It's called "Milk Toast"
[/color]

intelligent and thoughtful.

You must be confusing him with his brother, John.
[/color]

Ran is a thinker and a doer.

Ran's thinking is confined to anticipating when the mailman will deliver his latest edition of "Playboy",
his doing .... is limited to committing acts against nature within four hours of delivery.
[/color]

A natural leader

AFC, another typo ?  It's spelled,  "Au Naturel"
[/color]

- level for the most part,

The man hasn't been level par in his entire life.
The closest he came was a fluke round at Innescrone, followed by another near miss at Hidden Creek.
[/color]

but has a streak of danger in him that can get him into tricky places - and has over the years now and then...
The trickiest place he's ever been to is a steak house in south Florida with some interesting vistas.  The dangerous part was explaining the totals on his charge card.
Now, that was tricky.
[/color]

SPDB

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 12:53:22 PM »

I was always a Corey fan, given the similarity in our names.

George, I was wondering about this recently. Does your name rhyme with Pavin's?

I was never sure if it was 'p&-"zEn (rhyming somewhat with "magazine") or 'pA-'zin (rhyming with "Amazin'", as in those "Amazin' Mets"   :D )
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 12:53:45 PM by SPDB »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 02:41:51 PM »
Adam,

The only one I didn't agree with is Tom Paul, he would not be seen dead in a tweed jacket.  Tom is one of these annoying people that looks just about good in anything.  He is the Jose Morinnho of GCA, he always looks trendy no matter what he wears.  He doesn't smoke a pipe but he still looks good smoking his cigarettes!

I like your take on Tommy.

Brian

Tom Paul!  Have you ever seen Andy Williams ;D ;D ;D Just ask Ed Baker ;)
Best
Dave

wsmorrison

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 05:25:35 PM »
John,

Sounds like we should get together for some golf and wine sometime!  You're in NJ and I'm just west of Philadelphia.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back