News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Not getting to spend as much time as I used to - or as I'd like! - around here these days due to the necessities of salaried employment, I thought I'd at least post these shots from a WORK-RELATED survey I was doing yesterday.

In reply to these threads about lousy views, etc, for my money, these are among the best views in Scottish Golf. And, at about £18, some of the best value too!

This is glorious Kinghorn. An Old Tom gem, much damaged by the need for wartime food production, but still the most fun you can have on 75 acres of raised beach linksland and fine fescue.

Let's try it out together the next time you're in Bonnie Scotland!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

George Pazin

Re:How Great is Scotland? (rhetorically speaking, of Course!)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
Some obvious problems with this course.

Not getting to spend as much time as I used to - or as I'd like! - around here these days due to the necessities of salaried employment, I thought I'd at least post these shots from a WORK-RELATED survey I was doing yesterday.

In reply to these threads about lousy views, etc, for my money, these are among the best views in Scottish Golf. And, at about £18, some of the best value too!

What, no mounding to echo the mountains in the background? What was Old Tom thinking?

Just another housing track.

See comments on first photo.

This is glorious Kinghorn. An Old Tom gem, much damaged by the need for wartime food production, but still the most fun you can have on 75 acres of raised beach linksland and fine fescue.

Let's try it out together the next time you're in Bonnie Scotland!

FBD.

;D ;D ;D

Is this heaven?

No, it's Scotland....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 02:59:01 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 05:18:38 AM »
Whats that blue thing in the backdrop?  I thought the sky was either black (night), grey (raining) or white (cloudy) at this time of year. :)  Anybody sunbaking in Scotland that day?
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:28:22 AM »
FBD, how far from St Andrews?  I'm sure we'll be looking for a morning round one day during the Open.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »
Bill

Kinghorn is about 25-30 miles from St. Andrews. Much as I am fond of the place for its funkiness, and agree with FBD about the quality of (at least some) of the grass, in July some of the fairways stimp out at about 13, and you can get "infinite wedging" on a few holes (80-yard pitches that keep rolling back to your feet!).  There are a number of better alternatives in West Fife.

As I've said a few times before on this site, if somebody could re-acquire the land lost during WWII and restore Kinghorn to it's original design, you could have one helluva golf course.  However, as Kinghorn is owned by Fife Council, this sort of creative thinking is probably not in the cards...... :'(

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »
Martin, How clever of you to get the entire British Navy in one photo!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 02:14:27 PM »

As I've said a few times before on this site, if somebody could re-acquire the land lost during WWII and restore Kinghorn to it's original design, you could have one helluva golf course.  However, as Kinghorn is owned by Fife Council, this sort of creative thinking is probably not in the cards...... :'(

Rich,
I was discussing the very topic with the head greenkeeper on tuesday. He lamented that he believed the land was sold off for about £3000. Probably now worth in the region of £3,000,000. I will try to divert as much Council money as I can, but it may take me some time!!!

Bill,
You'd have an absolute HOOT here. Amazing topography given the location and some stupendous greensites. As Rich says, there's loads to criticise, but I definitely think it's one to add to your 'Played it, loved it' list rather than the 'Played it, can't wait to play it again' one!

James/George,
Tuesday was just the most fabulous day in Scotland so far this Spring! Those bumpy bits you see are Arthur's Seat and the Pentland Hills. Edinburgh is somewhere in the HEAT-HAZE!! ;D

Mark,
As usual, they're Oil Supply ships. Apart from occasional visits by QEII and QMII, all we normally get is the Rosyth - Zeebrugge Ferry!!

FBD
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:51:01 PM »
Martin

What's this "employment" thing you talk about?  Sounds sinister.......

Vis a vis Kinghorn, I think you posted a picture of the 18th tee a while back.  If you can re-post it, McBride might see the Painswickean element which that course possesses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back