News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

World Woods greens?/other Florida advice
« on: February 03, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »
 :) planning on playing Pine Barrens as my final round in Florida :( on Feb 14...anybody know if the greens are in good shape these days?

also planning on playing El Diablo on the 10th --anyone been there?

of course if better suggestions in that area pls let me know

thanks Paul ;D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

Re:World Woods greens?/other Florida advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:28:55 PM »
Paul,

I'm playing Pine Barrens on Saturday after we (you included) play Avila on Friday. I could give you a call immediately after the round with as fresh a report as you could want!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »
Paul,
I played there last week and the course was in marvelous shape, the greens in particular were great.

Enjoy!

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:34:08 PM »
thanks guys!

Joe -- don't forget to let me know what time Friday -- and thanks!

I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

pt

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 10:50:40 PM »
No John, not going to the show and not in the business...just happened to be going the same week as the show

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »
Paul, As Ben has already told you, the conditions at WWPB are much improved from when the maintenance management company ran things a few years ago.

The El Diablo is another matter. While the architecture is top-notch, the conditions are not as pristine as some require. Most of the greens look good from far, and they roll very well. But, a little tree trimming would do wonders for them. They all seem to have very thin amounts of grass on their tree side perimeter.

As for other advice, I was impressed with the Smeyers re-do at Grande Pines. The greens were all exciting and the bunkering was extremely bold for a daily fee course. The steep walled greenside bunkers were only part of the excitment, the fairway bunkers were all well placed and had a gathering effect that will make most of the pamperred set squeal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:07:13 AM by Adam Clayman »

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »
As for other advice, I was impressed with the Smeyers re-do at Grande Pines. The greens were all exciting and the bunkering was extremely bold for a daily fee course. The steep walled greenside bunkers were only part of the excitment, the fairway bunkers were all well placed and had a gathering effect that will make most of the pamperred set squeal.

Adam,

Did the routing at Grand Pines make you feel a little claustrophobic?  I enjoyed the greens and bunkering but there is just no room for recovery from off the fairway.  Some really interesting short holes too, I have no idea how I should play holes 3 or 8, and IMHO 17 is a great par 3.

BTW didn't you know you are supposed to bash the Orlando golf landscape?  ;)  Sorry I did not get to attend the dinner & meet you last week.

Pete

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 09:53:15 AM »
Pete, As it turned out, you were fortunate to save your meeting for a different resturant.  ;)

I only had one problem with the course, the blind water hazards. I kept thinking of Weiskopfs use of a single boulder to give me a clue that a reparian awaits. But here there was nothing. I attributed it to the inhereted routing.

I played somewhat forward, so I didn't feel any claustrophobia. And I was able to recover from the pine straw, or wherever my ball bounced to, save for the bottom of the lake. With  Holes of that length, 320ish, provide enough options, that driver is only the club of choice for excitment purposes, and removed the feeling of too narrow.

I also really enjoyed the short two-shotter.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 11:44:09 AM »
Greens at Pine Barrens were in fine shape three weeks ago when I was there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back