News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JakaB

Odd forms of GolfClubAtlas Generosity...
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »
I remember at the Kings Putter in San Diego me, JB and Wigler going out for dinner one night at a nice restaurant and me and JB ordering the full menu while all Wigs had was a salad...I think we had a bottle of wine or something and when the bill came Wigs insisted on splitting it three equal ways...God I love this stuff..

Later that night or maybe the next day we drank loads and loads of Pete's home made beer and three bottles of Dan Kings scotch...Pete then let me stay at his house until I had some business to do and then drove me to the airport..

I love generous people..note: I've got a million of these and its only been three or four years so don't think you are forgot if I fail to mention one of the kind acts bestowed on me...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:02:53 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

THuckaby2

Re:Odd forms of GolfClubAtlas Generosity...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 05:03:30 PM »
JK - thankfully this kinda stuff happens a lot.  I've had way too many people NOT take my money for beers, wine, food, etc. when offered, with the thought that when it becomes my turn I do the same.  I hope to God I do reciprocate properly; I do try.  Some guy sent me a very cool bagtag that I keep on my bag to this day, which he had made himself and sent at his own expense, just because he thought it would be fun.  A nice author sent me back a signed book all the way from Scotland at his own expense also, just because I wanted him to sign it.  A really good egg sent me the coolest hat I own, also from Scotland, just because I mentioned in here my fondness for the brew it designates.... So many people have set up golf for me and/or hosted me, making my golf dreams come true, just because they thought it would be a nice thing to do...

All of these people, and many others I am foolishly leaving out now due to faulty memory, have my unending gratitude.

I love generous people also.  I try to be one whenever I can.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:05:47 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 05:05:01 PM »
Peachman brought a bottle of Cask Strength Scotch to Cuscowilla....Somebody would have been proud of me for getting a glass of ice from the bar for free and drinking the good stuff...Thanks Peaches..

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:07:10 PM »
Peachman brought a bottle of Cask Strength Scotch to Cuscowilla....Somebody would have been proud of me for getting a glass of ice from the bar for free and drinking the good stuff...Thanks Peaches..

Damn straight.. and damn that was good... hell yes, thanks Joe!
(I thought it was Joe Perches who brought that... if it was Peaches, than thanks Peach!)

Many beers were shared during that hickory round also...

Jeez I don't want to get maudlin (again), but does golf get better than that?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:07:59 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JakaB

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »
I did bum alot of rides from guys in San Diego so I wouldn't have to spend $189 on a rental...

JakaB

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:11:29 PM »
Just to note:  I'm staying away from the free golf we have all gotten in the form of the ultimate generosity (golf wise that is) and just talking about the odd little things...

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 05:14:11 PM »
Let me ask a dumb question....

Beyond the obvious stuff like paying for greens-fees and meals/drinks, conveying thankfulness before, during and after  activities and follow-up thank-you's....

....What are good suggestions for ways to let others know that you appreciate their generosity?  Especially when you're given an opportunity that you can't put a price on, and you don't possess the means or intellect/creativity to come up with something that might come close to convey that appreciation?  

For example, if somebody arranged a foursome for Huckaby, Hendren, Carlyle and...ok, I can't think of another GCA'er besides me that loves ANGC but I don't want to include myself in the example...but let's say they got a chance to hang at ANGC for a few days....lifelong dream stuff.....what could you possible send as a thank you?  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:16:32 PM by Brian_Gracely »

JakaB

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »
At one Kings Putter...Pete Galea let me use the most beautiful set of Tony Penna blonde persimmons I had ever seen...when I told him I putted well with the putter I used he told me to keep it....I didn't but his offer was genuine.   Gotta love Pete..

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »
JK:  gotcha re the free golf/access set up/etc.  I just found it hard NOT to mention that, you know?  America's Guest and all.... but it is way more fun to focus on the odd stuff, good call.

BG:  I think sincere thanks in some written form works well (as you say), added to some unique bauble or the like. Or at least I hope that's appropriate... Nothing could ever be "enough"... IN any case sincerity does carry the day in situations like this, methinks.  If you do all the minimum that you say, well... the hosts tend to get a kick out of the sincere joy they see in us guests.  Express that in written form, and try to come up with something unique and appropriate to send them, and that's all guys like us can do.  I think....

TH

TH

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 05:19:48 PM »
even this newwbie has already experienced this -- our generous hosts at the Mark Rowlinson Chicago dinner -- thanks again to them for a great night
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JakaB

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »
Paul,

How did you divide the bill up that night...Isn't Illinois a nice place to live now that Sammy is gone..

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »
Careful, John, or folks will start talking about you picked up somebody's guest fee. Of course you don't seem to have trouble receiving high stakes wins over 54-hole matches.

JakaB

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 05:32:34 PM »
I don't want to say who so to protect them from the ticket hounds that might be out there....but....when Auburn made the Sugar Bowl a prolific poster on this site sent me an IM out of the blue wanting to know if I needed tickets...the guy doesn't live there, didn't go to Auburn...he just remembered my Hillbilly tours to see them play....unbeliveable...15th row 35yd line face value...I can be bought.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 05:33:12 PM »
I played a round with John Stiles at Holston Hills last fall.  John is on the board of the DRS and incredibly knowledgeable about the history at HH and Ross.  After the round we went up the locker-room and he pulls out this envelope.  In it, he had prepared a thank-you note to me for visiting HH, and a set of Ross' hole-by-hole drawings from HH.  It was great to see somebody so passionate about something they hold dear, and the contents of the envelope were a nice surprise to an already enjoyable day.    

JakaB

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 05:34:35 PM »
Jeff,

The greatest gift someone can give me is their time...and you gave me two days my friend..

JakaB

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 05:38:18 PM »
Brian,

That stuff is great...you should hear the questions I get for having a layout of Fairyland on my desk...

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 05:40:36 PM »
I was recently short the requisite $900 to purchase a copy of Doak's Confidential Guide.  While having an IM conversation with another GCAer, he mentioned that he had come into possession of several copies and was willing to loan me one for a period of time. I've yet to send him some $$ to cover the postage, but I'm appreciative of his offer to enlighten me on the ways of 31 Flavors.  

JakaB

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 05:41:31 PM »
This has gotten so gay I'm gonna listen to XM channel 28 on the ride home...I just didn't want the world to think we were a bunch of appetizer counters....

JakaB

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 05:46:55 PM »
Yes Brian...Its just after I have seen the value of a signed copy skyrocket I'm a little queezy about sending it out....You see...Doak sent me one as a favor to my brother before he had ever heard of Barney...It's signed:

For JB Kavanaugh

With apologies that none of your brother's work is reviewed here, and with pity on a hot summer's day in Evansville!

Tom Doak
July 2001

The damn thing must be priceless with the popularity of my blog skyrocketing....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:47:44 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

ian

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 06:08:26 PM »
Brian,

A donation to an form of junior golf, in the person's name, will be warmly appreciated.

Jeff Mingay sent me a personalized thank-you card with a picture of Essex quite a while back when we first met. I thought that was wonderful, because it was personal.

Dinner out with the person that night usually is best since it cements a friendship with an appropriate thank-you.

Some thoughts,

Ian

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 06:16:32 PM »
I have been sent pictures.

I have cooked dinner.

I have learned.......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
One thing about this group is that it is very generous.  I'll forever be thankful for my first private club experience ever at RCC, a Maryland pro's warm welcome to the GCA group, and to a certain gentlemen for spending an afternoon educating me about golf architecture and writing at Old Town, among many others.  I always feel my thank-yous are insufficient.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 07:36:24 PM »
There have been many, but the roughly 44 GCA related people attending my son's golf outing at The Creek has helped in many ways beyond the money that went to the school.

Thank-you

PS. Jaka it is nice to see you turn a lemon into lemonade !
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 07:38:12 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »
After reading these posts--I  feel really disappointed.  I was at Cuscowilla trying to give my drinks away and couldn't do it.  Maybe I should have brought some good scotch to impress.  

Seriously though, while I don't know nearly the people most on here do, I am amazed by the kindness of the members I have met.

Dan King

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 09:51:57 PM »
John B. Kavanaugh writes:
Later that night or maybe the next day we drank loads and loads of Pete's home made beer and three bottles of Dan Kings scotch

As much as I'd like to take credit, and John, you can be sure I would give you the shirt off my back if you didn't mind seeing my ugly self shirtless, it wasn't my scotch. It may have seemed as if it was mine as much as I was drinking, but it was America's host, Pete L's scotch and I was drinking lots of it because the challenge was trying to guess the origin of the un-labeled Scotch. I also remember guessing one correctly, and guessed the correct island but wrong distillery for the other but was clueless on the third.

Dan King
"Set up another case bartender! The best thing for a case of nerves is a case of Scotch."
 --W.C. Fields
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 09:52:54 PM by Dan King »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back