News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ran Morrissett

Pacific Grove by Adam Clayman is posted under...
« on: December 15, 2004, 07:53:44 PM »
... the My Home Course section of this web site.

Nothing beats posting a well written article on a course that a) we can all play and b) we can all afford to play. In addition, great photos are always most welcome as they seemingly whisk one away to special places and without doubt, some of the most stunning photos you'll ever see can be found within Adam's piece on Pacific Grove.

Adam, presently a Paul Bunyanesque  :D figure in New Mexico golf,  understands that golf is more than X's and O's, with his line re: the 3rd hole "Here's a rare chance to learn something about oneself" being a prime example.

Can there be a nicer way to introduce a course than Adam's when he writes, " I will attempt to introduce you to my former home course, and if my speculating is correct, once you've golfed there, you will feel it your home course, away from home, too."

We all need to get here.

Cheers,

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Pacific Grove by Adam Clayman is posted under...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 08:48:49 AM »
I have been lucky to play some great courses, but that picture of Neil's (see http://www.golfclubatlas.com/pacificgrove.html) from Pacific Grove #12 is the one that hangs in the home office.

Corrected ****Here is a picture of #16

The course was crowded the day we played !
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 09:41:26 AM by Mike Sweeney »

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 08:51:48 AM »
 Mike,
 If you had not broken your damn camera, we could have the pictures of those NGLA deer.
AKA Mayday

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 09:22:59 AM »
Mike_Sweeney,

That's a picture (top) of #16 green.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 09:32:51 AM »
One of my few regrets in life. Not playing Pacific Grove when I was in Monterey during the summer of 2002. Driving down there from the north, it was the first course we ran into and if I hadn't of seen another on it would have been ok.

Thanks, Adam, for taking me back. I hope to get their again someday.

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
Adam
Thanks for sharing your course...I hope to play some day....well done.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 03:10:06 PM »
A very nice read Adam...makes me want to hop a plane for Cali right now!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 03:34:59 PM »
Evan, looking out the window of my office makes me want to hop a plane to California right now.

Pacific Grove has to have one of the quirkiest order of par for the first 10 holes:  3-3-4-4-5-5-4-4-3-3.

It really is a fun place to play.  My thanks to Ron Reed of the USGA for telling me to go there.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 03:45:47 PM »
Great read - kinda like Darwin if he grew up in Chicago. :)

One of my new golf goals is to get to play some of the "My Home Course" profiles with the poster. It's always fun seeing someone else's passion first hand.

Another poster completes his homework assignment - who's next?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 04:14:26 PM »
Evan, looking out the window of my office makes me want to hop a plane to California right now.

Pacific Grove has to have one of the quirkiest order of par for the first 10 holes:  3-3-4-4-5-5-4-4-3-3.

It really is a fun place to play.  My thanks to Ron Reed of the USGA for telling me to go there.

You guys got snow?  I think my MIL does...she is in the secondary snowbelt East of Cleveland.  None here yet in Dubuque, but highs of 11 degrees this weekend do not bode well for golf. :(
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 09:24:55 PM »
Adam, thanks for a great read on Pac Grove.  When we gonna go there? ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 10:01:20 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments. I must confess I have an excellent editor. My goal was to attempt to make the piece on par with our administrators writtings, but gave that up as soon as I realized it impossible.

Having just returned from a whirlwind road trip which included meeting the real paradox, JakaB, I was fortunate to golf both Victoria and Dallas nat'ls within days of each other. Golfed my first Jeff Brauer course (kind of), Cowboys and had a religious experience on a dormant canvas at The Rawls.

Hopefully I'll compose my thoughts and share.

Thanks again.

Evan_Green

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 10:07:48 PM »
The back nine at Pacific Grove may be the best "bang for your buck" in Monterey. It is a thrill to play everytime.

#12 is my favorite hole and is pretty hard to beat for a seaside par 5. One of the best around.

I only wish the front nine was set on the same kind of land as the back !

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 08:23:55 AM »
Evan, the frontnine is a Chandler Egan design.

One of the fascinating things that happened, to me, was that after feeling that the front was just 'anticipation for the back', I started to gain greater appreciation for the front.
It may not be wide open, and that style may not be my cup o' tea, the small undulating greens do gain your respect over time.

So many great stories about the people, and the golf. It really is the Kingdom of Golf, here in the states.

JohnV, Ron Reed plays in our member guest. He usually brings other big wigs, like Grant Spaeth and others. Have you seen his NCGA number?
It's 00000001
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:26:19 AM by Adam Clayman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back