News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Lawsonia, stymies and other coolness
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:00:41 PM »
On day three of a whirlwind golf architecture appreciation junket, Mike DeVries and I roll into the parking lot at Lawsonia. It's late fall, so a bite is in the air. The pro is there to greet us, but not another soul to be seen. After an exchange of pleasantries, Mike and I go to the first tee. It is then that we decided: Match Play with Stymies. While being blown away with the vastness and boldness of Lawsonia, the experience is even greater because of the way we are playing the game. What a phenominal day. We literally had the course to ourselves. I'm sure Mike will add to this, as he had the coolest putt of the day, and he kicked my....well, he beat me 3 and 2.

We went to Marquette to see Greywalls. What a dramatic place that is. Unfortunately, it was 40 degrees and blustery, so we didn't get the clubs out. Tuesday was also at Greywalls, then south to Oshkosh for the night. Wednesday was Lawsonia in the morning, then another Langford/ Moreau course in the afternoon.

Today was a walk of all 18 holes at Shoreacres, then a brief visit of Old Elm, a Donald Ross on the north side of Chicago.

I saw so much in the past four days I can't process it all. What a great way to experience golf despite the lateness of the season.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ed_getka

Re:Lawsonia, stymies and other coolness
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:16:43 PM »
Joe,
   Thanks for the post. What did you think of Lawsonia? Shoreacres? I await details my friend.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 09:37:01 AM »
Joe, After reading on here about Raynor, didn't you think Lawsonia was more Raynoresque than Shoreacres? ;)

Thanks for sharing, just the thought of having that, all to ourselves feeling, at Lawsonia makes me yearn for her.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 03:42:18 PM »
I'm sure Mike will add to this, as he had the coolest putt of the day, and he kicked my....well, he beat me 3 and 2.

Joe,

Ah, yes, THE PUTT.  I was up 2 and lying 4 on the 9th (par 5).  Joe has a 6 foot birdie putt on the opposite side of the cup from my 2.5 footer for par.  He misses, leaving it 5 inches on my side of the cup, right in line on the high side of the hole!  It really looks like I am dead, but I firmly cut the putt around the bottom of his ball into the cup -- I still can't believe I did it!  Joe seemed to be unfazed by it, though, as he ripped a 3-metal to 10 feet on the brutally long par 3 tenth!

Stymies are a blast to play, especially when you have a course like Lawsonia that asks you to constantly try different shots all day.  

If you are a real golf aficianado, you should play stymies every once in a while -- I know that Joe and I probably always will from now on when we get the chance.

Cheers,

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back