News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

Hackett Before & Steel After - Enniscrone # 18
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:46:49 AM »
In my recent post about Donald Steel, I saw his newsletter via Scott's link and saw that they have completed the renovations to Enniscrone's 18th hole.

The 18th at Enniscrone was always a letdown, IMHO. It was a blind tee shot to a 400 yard par 4 landing area that was flat and boring. Visually the course is stunning except for the 18th hole where houses touch the course on the left side from the outskirts of town. When Steel came in a few years ago to reroute a number of holes, he did not touch the 18th hole, as funds probably ran short. Now Steel  has completed the 18th hole. Here is the before of the Eddie Hackett 18th hole.

And here is the new 18th, which I hope to see in person next summer. If you ever play at Enniscrone, there is not a more welcoming couple than Aidan & Mrs Gallagher who run the B&B seen just beyond the top of the 18th green out on the road to town.

Personally, I really like the look of the new hole, as it looks similar to the rest of Enniscrone dunes holes. The drive from the 18th hole is out of the dunes to what used to be farmland, and is now faux dunes. It looks like the dunes hide some of the housing on the left and the entrance road on the right. To me the hole looks more interesting, and it is a nice blending of real and faux dunes. It also looks like the green has been raised and is more precise to hit for a hole that typically plays downwind/crosswind at 400 yards.

Here are some real dunes at Enniscrone's 16th via Larry Lambrecht:  :o

Full disclosure, I am an International Member at Enniscrone. and these pictures were sent to me by Chris Huggett of Donald Steel & Company and were posted with his permission. Thanks Chris.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 08:15:25 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Hendren

Re:Hackett Before & Steel After - Enniscrone # 18
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 09:47:29 AM »
Mike,

I'm guessing I would have liked the new hole - had I not seen the photograph of the original.  

I really like the open expanse of the original - it has a "playing field" quality to it.  There's plenty or room to golf the ball from the tee (which I favor only because I typically need every inch I can get) with the option to play the tee ball right of the two bunkers at the risk of having to play a blind second, though ostensibly from a pretty good angle in.   Don't know how far out those two fairway bunkers are, but I also like the thought of working a fade (for me, an educated slice) off the fairway's cant around them.  That cant looks to have disappeared in the second photo.  

In summary, the hole appears to have been taken from strategic to penal, at least from the tee.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Also, with apologies to Joyce Kilmer:
GCA posts are made by loons,
But only God can make great dunes.

Thank you for posting the before/after.  I have no doubt I would really like Enniscrone.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 10:20:46 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 10:11:03 AM »
The 18th hole used to be like the reverse of the 1st hole. Here, you started on flat land and drove into the dunes. The 18th was a blind tee shot out of the dunes. Obviously, the first was a lot better. I prefer the look of the new 18th to the old version.

Does look quite penal as the tee shot is still probably still blind.

By the way, another Eddie Hackett course, Carne, has received planning permission for an extra nine holes. These will be designed by Jim Engh. They will be more like the back nine than the front nine. There won't be any ocean frontage. I expect eventually there will be another 18 holes.
John Marr(inan)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:56:59 AM »
Mike:

The "after" photo has the appearance of looking like the tee-pee mounding you find at such gems like Loxahatchee! ::)

Since I have not played the course I have to wonder if the style of the "before" 18th (more open / playing field type) is used in other areas of the course.

Was the decision for the "after" really about enhancing the hole from a "difficulty perspective?"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 12:56:59 PM »
It seems to me that the faux dunes may have tried to mimic what may have already been there in style and context from what appears in the foreground of the first "old' picture.  I think what happens is that once the architect and shapers get into the project, they go overboard.  What I see in the second picture is simply too much work.  It isn't subtle enough.  I think they missed the chance to add visual yet blend in better with reality.  The result is what one sees at Whistling Straits...too many piles after piles of framing.  I can understand that they probably wanted to block out the visual of the car park and beyond.  

And, they probably like that aspect from golfer's eye level which may be more desirable than this aerial oblique view.  Perhaps the higher up view is unflattering in that it is so much more obvious what was done than what one sees at eyelevel.  But, none the less, it appears like about 50% overkill... :-\

I do like the shoring up and shining up of the bunkering, yet maintaining the strategic positioning and playing degree of difficulty based on style and depth.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 01:15:18 PM »
Mike:

The "after" photo has the appearance of looking like the tee-pee mounding you find at such gems like Loxahatchee! ::)

Since I have not played the course I have to wonder if the style of the "before" 18th (more open / playing field type) is used in other areas of the course.

Was the decision for the "after" really about enhancing the hole from a "difficulty perspective?"

"It concerns me when people make comments -- Tom Doak or anyone else for that matter -- even the indirect kind -- without having played the course(s) in question."

Well Matt, at least you keep good company in your new club with Tom Doak !  ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 01:31:12 PM »
Mike:

Mike:

It's nice to be placed in such "elite" company, however, let me help your understanding -- I am simply commenting on two pictures you posted -- I never made any defnitive comments on the quality of the hole or course because I have not played it. Please re-read my comments in my first sentence -- the "appearance" is used for particular reasons.

I also stated in the next sentence that I had not played the course and asked two questions -- which you or no else who has played the course have answered yet.

Why would Steele include such mounds -- was it done to enhance the penal aspect versus the open style there previously? ;)

I also asked another question concerning the nature of the mounds on the "new" 18th and whether

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back