News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Pacific Grove (pictures)
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:24:29 PM »
On Wednesday, I had good fortune to enjoy a Monterey sunset on the back 9 at Pacific Grove.  What a lot of fun, and I'm envious of the local residents that get the opportunity to play here on a regular basis.

Local residents enjoy the 11th hole:

An inviting fairway on the 11th, with the cross-wind blowing about 25mph, it provided ample width for an introduction to the ocean-front holes:

The awe begins after climbing the dunes to the Par5 12th tee:

Light from the sunset washes across the 12th fairway and green:

No, those trees weren't planted crooked...Mother Nature's constant whispers are reflected in the angles of their trunks:

Playing back into the wind on the mid-length Par4 13th, which also offers a glimpse of Monterey's famous coastline:

Approaching the 13th green, set back into the dunes:

There are minimal greenside bunkers at Pacific Grove, but Neville built the contours of the surrounding land directly into the greensite:

Looking back from the 16th green towards the double-fairway (16 & 17) and the Pacific Ocean.

Sunset amongst the dunes and on the links around Monterey....it doesn't get any better than this:

ed_getka

Re:Pacific Grove (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »
Brian,
  Thanks for posting the pix. I never tire of seeing the back nine of PG. How were the conditions? The last time I was there it was quite shaggy and soft, which was atypical.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 11:15:01 PM »
The 13th is one great hole. The subtle mound on the front left of the green, along with the gathering valley of sin right, makes this "easy" hole worthy of full concentration and awareness.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 05:28:00 AM »
is pacific grove a public course? where is it in relation to the other name courses?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 07:04:04 AM »
is pacific grove a public course? where is it in relation to the other name courses?

Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course is public.  As you drive along 17 Mile Drive (actually PG Muni entrance is before 17MD), you come to PG, Spanish Bay, MPCC Dunes, MPCC Shore, Spyglass Hill, CPC and Pebble Beach.  

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 07:11:42 AM »
How were the conditions? The last time I was there it was quite shaggy and soft, which was atypical.

Ed,

I don't have anything to compare them with (first round), but the fairways and greens were somewhat shaggy.  I just expected that this was the normal conditioning.  I actually enjoyed it as your ball sat up a little in the fairways.  The greens rolled fairly true, although I did have to putt through some deer tracks on #13 ;)  

The turf was an unusually thick grass.  What type is it?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 10:42:38 PM by Brian_Gracely »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 08:39:40 AM »
Brian- That was the much maligned Double K. Kikuyu grass

HAve they begun with the new clubhouse? What did the construction site look like?

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 09:03:21 AM »
Brian
Beautiful pictures.  You do get around!  ;)
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 09:10:46 AM »
Have they begun with the new clubhouse? What did the construction site look like?

Adam,

I completely forgot about the new clubhouse.  I don't recall seeing much in the way of construction signs, barrels, equipment, etc.

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 12:47:08 PM »
Nicely done Brian ...

Geesh, I need to get out there again, soon !!!
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back