News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Fast play....
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:29:08 PM »
Redanman wrote:

"My opinion is that you can play fast and shoot 150, so the point is moot.  Just bring enough ammo if you spray into the hay.  Just abandon it and play on, you're out of the medal competition anyway at that point. Just bring plenty of cheap balls so you don't care if you lose them.  You don't need to worry about spinning shots on links even when it's raining.  And please, don't be afraid to play the forward tees.  I've seen many a Scot do it.

I have reasonable golf skills, but I can chop it with the best of them (around in 90-something) when my back really sucks or I can shoot 74 on a good day equally fast.  (Play pace is much more dependent on my co-competitors).  Miss 'em quick.  No triple full speed practice swings to foozle the ball (Or stripe it for that matter!, please).

Go play them, but keep moving and have fun. p.s. THE OLD COURSE is made for literally anyone to play, just keep it left."

Bill really does get to the heart of the matter. My question, who is the fastest player in the GCA?

Bob

Brian_Gracely

Re:Fast play....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:33:37 PM »
The one time I played with Huckaby at Cinnabar Hills, he encouraged me to drive the ball into the group in front of us.  Not sure if I was playing too slow for him or he just had zero confidence in my ability to hit fellow golfers.  He may not be the fastest, but he definitely kept it moving along.

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 07:50:14 PM »
I doubt I'm the fastest, but my fastest 18 holes (holing out on every hole) was 1:35 walking, although I didn't pull the flagstick on every green that evening.  If I'm by myself I can usually do about 2:15 playing entirely by the rules.  I have a good friend in Oregon who also takes about 2:15.  When we played together we played in 2:10.  We figure that is because we have the other guy to help find our ball.

All that being said, my ex-wife was just as fast even though she was taking 20 to 40 shots more than me.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:45:34 PM »
I'd probably have a shot at fastest in my class. If there's a category for "Fastest player, walking, taking 90+ strokes" I'd be in the running (pun intended). I don't always keep up with a fast player shooting 81, though.

When I'm playing alone at my my home course, which is hilly, I have to force myself to slow down or I'll end up hitting shots while I'm out of breath. I played back in the spring on a course at the beach with just a 4-iron and a lob wedge (no putter). Dead flat, short distances from green to tee and no golf bag to fiddle with. Shot a million (3-putted almost every hole) but it only took an hour to play 13 holes before I caught up with someone and had to slow down to play in with him.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:14 PM »
One of the fellows in our County Men's league plays almost every morning by himself at about 5:30-6Am.  He carries about 6-8 clubs and jogs to his ball.  He gets around in well under 2 hours... more like 1.5.

I on the other hand like to play fast, but compared to him, I would be halffast.  I would rather do a halffast round (my specialty) in about 3 to 3.25. ;D ;) ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 09:20:14 PM »
I said "In the GCA."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 09:25:09 PM »
OK, OK, I'll take John V in a close race with Mike Golden, Redanman, and Tim Weiman...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
Personal best is, like John V, 1:35, but that was in a cart.  Best walking times are in the 2:15 range.  

Best single day was 54 holes in 7 hours (cart); my wife still gives me grief about that one.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 12:08:55 AM »
A cart's cheating. Dan Kelly and I have several times done 80 holes in 9 hours (8 a.m. -- 5 p.m. on November days in Minnesota when the course is clear and the days are short.)

My wife and I walk 18 holes in about 3:15 if no one is in our way. Why play faster? We're there to enjoy the game and each others' company.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike_Golden

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 02:05:14 AM »
I don't know if I am the fastest on GCA but I can play in under 2 1/2 hours on courses such as Lake Merced, San Jose CC, and Palo Alto Hills GC without feeling like I'm rushing.  I suppose if I was just trying to play quickly I could get it under 2 hours but it has never seemed important.  Now I'm stuck playing muni golf once again and 4 hours seems like a quick round >:(

Michael Moore

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 07:28:02 AM »
I was going to throw my name into the hat, but John V. has clearly lapped the field. He's right, pulling those pins out and replacing them is a huge time killer. I don't see a problem though, just add the penalty strokes and keep movin'.

I will say that I am applying for a grant with the BBGE that will provide some cash for the first person here who sees me make a practice stroke.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

bakerg

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 08:47:26 AM »
I am not sure if I am the fastest but I have to be up there.  The fastest round I have is Bandon Dunes in about 1:30.  This was with a caddy, so tending the flagstick wasn't a problem for me.  I actually played 54 holes a day both days I was there.  This was back in '99 before the world had found out about Bandon.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 09:35:14 AM »
The one time I played with Huckaby at Cinnabar Hills, he encouraged me to drive the ball into the group in front of us.  Not sure if I was playing too slow for him or he just had zero confidence in my ability to hit fellow golfers.  He may not be the fastest, but he definitely kept it moving along.

Ha!  I believe at that point I was just unaware of your prodigious length off the tee.

But yes, I do like to go as fast as possible anyway.  And I think my routine hitting the ball is pretty simple and quick.  ;)

So yeah, I'd guess I can keep up with anyone... that being said, I have to really try to do so when I play with Mike Golden.  Now that man does not dawdle.  Neither does John V or redanman or Dave Moriarty or shivas, come to think of it.  In fact there's your play in 2 hours fivesome....

TH

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 10:16:37 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has yet claimed they can play faster walking than riding.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

THuckaby2

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has yet claimed they can play faster walking than riding.

I too was waiting for that.  Assuming carts can go anywhere, there is just plain no way that that can be true.  A cart gets you to the next shot so much faster, it's just silly to even make the claim.  I've done rounds in carts in stupid fast times, like an hour for 18 holes.  I don't think I've ever gotten under 2 hours walking, even actively TRYING to go fast.  There's just too much distance to cover.

Now if the carts have to stay on the path, it might be close.  But even then I think the cart player is gonna win.  But it would depend on the course and where the paths go.  In a horrid extreme, I can see the walker winning.  But it would take one hell of an extreme.

On a crowded course and assuming good conscientious walkers and silly dawdling riders, then walkers do go faster in the end.  But make all things equal, and well... one doesn't walk as fast as a cart goes.

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 10:41:20 AM »
The notion that walkers can play faster than riders is even bigger hogwash than the notion that guys can play fast shooting 100.  Fast players play faster in carts.  Slow players play faster in carts.  Slow players play slower walking.  And fast players play slower walking.  It's that simple.  But carts aren't for speed for most people.  They're for laziness and ease.  So they're attractive to the slow player who is just out there for yuks anyway.  

Perfectly said.  And the bottom line remains this:  if you have an hour to be home, and you want to get in 9 quick holes, you do not walk.  Period.  End of story.

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 11:19:21 AM »
Tom, How right you are. The key as you noted was going straight to your ball. A cart makes the round go oh so much faster. I however love a fast round alone with bag on shoulder. The tempo you get is so beautiful.

THuckaby2

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 11:21:48 AM »
Tom, How right you are. The key as you noted was going straight to your ball. A cart makes the round go oh so much faster. I however love a fast round alone with bag on shoulder. The tempo you get is so beautiful.

Oh you and me both brother.  In terms of pure soulful enjoyment, there is nothing like a quick walk, either alone or with good friends.  But if speed is the issue, oh yes, you need the motor.   ;)

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 11:26:17 AM »
What would you say the biggest time-wasters are?

My vote is hitting when it's "your turn".  I say you should be reasonably courteous but hit when ready and finish putting out.  These two alone would save quite a bit of time.  

The thing is, these time-savers are meaningless unless everyone on the course is doing it.

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 11:28:47 AM »
Gary:  Agreed - those are both big ones.  But I think redanman and shivas are on to something also.  LONG routines featuring multiple practice swings make things go glacial also.  And yes, my hero Nicklaus didn't help matters as a role model.  Oh if we could all just follow Lanny Wadkins or John Daly in this area....

TH

Mike_Golden

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 12:03:30 PM »
Huck,

Thanks for the mention about my speed of play.  My secret isn't that I hit the ball so quickly (my preshot routine is probably slower than some) but that I walk fast and mostly keep it in play-hitting it straight and knowing the golf course probably makes it much easier.  

There's no question being able to take carts anywhere makes everyone play faster except for the morons who share a cart and are too freaking lazy to get out of the cart and walk 20 yards to their ball while their partner is getting ready.  I've even seen a whole group in 2 carts all drive to each ball and wait until that shot is hit before going to the next one.  What a bunch of morons.  And don't even talk to me about carts on paths only-that undeniably slows up play for everyone, particularly bad players who have to walk back and forth to the cart after every crappy shot.

THuckaby2

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 12:06:43 PM »
Mike, I'm with you on all of this.  And there is something to be said for walking fast and knowing where to go, that's for sure.  Even the fastest routine won't make up for dawdling along.

Did I mention how much I hate carts on path?  Oh I know I've said many times in here I can have fun playing golf no matter what, but let's just say if I am forced into a carts on path situation, I have to work very hard to find the fun.

TH

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 12:51:40 PM »
Back to the original question at hand posed by Mr. Huntley...

I'll take our fivesome round at Mid-Pines back in the TraditionalGolf.Com days of 1999 as the fastest GCA'rs of all time...it was pure poetry in motion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 12:51:54 PM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

THuckaby2

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2004, 12:55:42 PM »

I'll take our fivesome round at Mid-Pines back in the TraditionalGolf.Com days of 1999 as the fastest GCA'rs of all time...it was pure poetry in motion.

That was legendary.  Who were the participants, again?

TH

JohnV

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 01:29:32 PM »

Evan I was thinking of that as I was reading down to here.  As I recall, it was you, me, Craig Edgmand and I've forgotten who else (its hell getting old).

We played in around 3 hours as I recall (after taking over 5 to play Tobacco Road earlier in the day.)  Of course, we weren't real serious about putting as they had just punched the greens and they were real bumpy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back