News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

What happened to Crooked Stick?
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:28:24 PM »
With Daly's succes there and it's Pete Dye lineage I'm supreised it's never mentioned as a possible future major venue?

As I recall it held up to the pro's and that week it really identified the best player. The way JD drove & putted that week, he was the class of the field.

Why does Crooked Stick get no love?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Ken Fry

Re:What happened to Crooked Stick?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:20:17 PM »
John,

My understanding was the logistics.  Spectators had to be bussed in from quite a distance and there's not enough room for the "corporate tent" village that is now so common at the major events.

The Solheim Cup will be played there next summer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 03:21:10 PM by KFry »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:03:13 PM »
John  Foley,

Is not holding a Major now considered a flaw in the design of the golf course ?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 07:09:59 PM »
Geez, Mooch, we haven't heard from you in a while. :'(

I'm trying to find where J. Foley wrote that there is a problem with the design at Crooked Stick but I am having a hard time.

Perhaps it is because HE DIDN'T SAY THAT!!

He asked why doesn't Crooked Stick get a major.

Apparently he thinks it is a nice course too

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mark Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 10:07:18 PM »
I think Crooked Stick is a good example of the penal courses that Dye, Nicklaus, etc. built in the late 70s and 80s with railroad ties, extreme bunkers, water hazards and sharp edges. They have fallen from grace and won't come back.
Other examples Oaktree, Desert Highlands, PGA West, etc.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:05:18 AM »
The US Women's Amateur will be there in 2007.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 08:45:25 AM »
Plus the Solheim Cup next year.  It is still a solid course.  From what I've heard recently, they've been trying hard to get some more events there and they have somewhat succeeded, but I think it might be a better fit for the women and the Champions tours.

It will never host a US Mens Open.

John_Conley

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »
Same reason as Butler, Hazeltine and contemporary homes built in the 70's.  They're just "out" right now.  

Hazeltine is out?  Wow.  Two PGAs (2002 and one in the future) and a Ryder Cup (pretty far off) after the club hitched his hopes to the PGA of America instead of waiting for the USGA to MAYBE grant it another Open.  If this is out, which courses are in?  I presume Pebble Beach, Bethpage, and Pinehurst... but what else?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:25:55 AM »
Wasn't there a Women's Open at Crooked Stick in the mid-90s that some "no-name" American won? Sorry if she was good.

I just remember Helen Alfredsson trying to his the 20-yard chip shot and taking like five minutes to do it. She started yelling at herself because she couldn't get comfortable over the shot.

Am I thinking of the right golf course? I also remember when Daly won the PGA and how the commentators couldn't believe he was hitting wedge into some of the 450 yard holes and cutting the dogleg corners.  Funny game now, huh?

John Foley

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 10:02:12 PM »
2 min in the penalty box on Mucci for Unsportsman like conduct :)

Award to the Oregonian for the quick defence!

My thinking was that alot of this past weeks press coverage (print and TV) was w/ Pete Dye, which I think is great. IMHO he's talented as hell has a great vision and ornery as hell! W/ all of that Pete Dye discussion it got me thinking to the last time that he was involved in a major arena it was Crooked Stick.

So why does Crooked Stick get no love? Never played it, but am a very big fan of Pete Dye's work.

w/ the US Womens Am & Solhiem Cup it's obviously getting some love. W/ the positive buzz around Whistling Straits from last week and new favorites (like Pinehurst & Bethpage @ the USGA & Valhalla @ PGA), I'm wondering how the likes of Crooked Stick will ever get a major again? Maybe it won't.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back