News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Lorne Rubinstein on Geoffrey Cornish
« on: August 05, 2004, 11:32:53 AM »
From today's Globe and Mail:

Cornish still a vital part of the game

By LORNE RUBENSTEIN
Thursday, August 5, 2004 -

One of golf's most respected course architects will turn 90 tomorrow, and the distressing truth is that so few people are aware of his contributions. This remarkable gentleman, Geoffrey Cornish, was born in Winnipeg, studied at the University of British Columbia and the University of Massachusetts, worked with the famous architect Stanley Thompson on some of Canada's classic courses and is just about the most decent person anybody could hope to meet.

"I don't know how you could meet a finer person," Brian Silva, Cornish's associate in a course design firm with offices in Whitinsville, Mass., and Uxbridge, Mass., said yesterday while on his way to the airport in Pittsburgh and then home. "Nobody has worked more selflessly for the game."

Cornish lives in Amherst, Mass., and maintains an active role with Silva and Mark Mungeam, gentlemen and course architecture scholars in their own right.

The firm of Cornish, Silva & Mungeam is busy in New England and elsewhere.

That's why Silva was in the hills of western Pennsylvania yesterday.

Cornish, meanwhile, was having a typical day. He walked. And he walked.

Cornish often walks kilometres with a half-dozen dogs or so that he picks up near his home. His nephew Brian, a real-estate lawyer in Montreal, said yesterday that his uncle walks up to 25 kilometres a day with the dogs.

"I'm in great shape," Cornish said from his home. "I ran a mile every day from the time I got out of the [Canadian] army in 1945 until recently. But I still get out and walk at home or when I'm out at courses. I think that constant walking is the answer for a long life."

Constant enthusiasm for one's work, and an interest in the world around and other people, can't hurt either. Cornish is always more interested in asking about somebody else than answering questions about himself.

"He'll have met you and talked to you for 30 seconds, but he won't let you interview him because he wants to know about you," Silva said. "Then you'll get a four-page letter from him two days later."

If Cornish did talk more about himself, he'd be more widely known. He's accomplished so much. Cornish has taught at the University of Massachusetts and at Harvard. He crafted an elegant foreword to Jim Barclay's biography about Thompson, called The Toronto Terror. And he co-wrote The Architects of Golf with Golf Digest's architecture editor, Ron Whitten. This standard reference is full of information and insightful essays.

"I remember talking to the publisher about the first edition of the book," Cornish recalled. "He thought it would have the interest of a telephone book."

"I still refer to it as the book," Silva said. "I don't think the plethora of architecture books since then would have come out had it not been done. And you know, Mr. Cornish isn't one of those architects who's asked for seven-figure fees, there's no self-promoting ego, no saying that he spent $30-million on a course. The result is that so many of his contributions are unknown."

One can go back to 1935 at the beautiful Thompson-designed Capilano course in West Vancouver, where Cornish evaluated soils after graduating in agronomy from UBC. Cornish was the greenkeeper at St. Charles in Winnipeg.

Cornish also worked on Thompson's Highlands Links in Cape Breton in Nova Scotia with Robbie Robinson, who later became a well-known architect. Robinson was the construction superintendent when the Highlands Links was built in the late 1930s.

Robinson went on to supervise the building of the Anne of Green Gables course in Prine Edward Island after a year at the Highlands, so Cornish took over the lead role. He eventually turned to full-time design work in 1952 after serving in the army and working for Thompson and Lawrence Dickinson, a maverick turf-grass scientist at the University of Massachusetts.

Cornish was inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 1996. By then, he'd worked with Toronto-born architect William Robinson on many courses, including York Downs in Unionville, Ont. Legendary Canadian amateur Marlene Streit is a member at York Downs. To chat with Cornish is to appreciate him not only as an architect and educator, but also as a golf historian. He is a significant part of golf history.

"I don't know how I'd have come to appreciate the history of the game without him," Silva said. "I don't like to use the term for a man of his advanced age, but he's a dying breed. He's a unique man."

He is that. Cornish has been a vital part of the game for 70 years. At 90, his vitality remains, and people who know golf might celebrate his vital contributions and offer a toast to him on his birthday.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

NAF

Re:Lorne Rubinstein on Geoffrey Cornish
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 11:43:58 AM »
I met Mr. Cornish up at Highlands Links with Ran, Ben Dewar and J.Mingay..  The word "gentleman" befits him exactly.  I was amazed at how voluminous his knowledge was and how we later saw him walking around the course.. I hope I'm that zesty at age 90.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 11:44:11 AM by Noel Freeman »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:58:31 PM »
THAT zesty? I hope I am half that zesty.

The best story from that visit was when I straggled in for breakfast, half-awake to find Mr. Cornish dressed to the nines, only to learn he had done the "40-minute" hike to Middlehead in 25 minutes. His stories on Thompson were wonderful to listen to.

He later told me that Capilano, Banff, Jasper and Highlands Links were widely considered four of the best courses in the world when they were built and after this most recent Banff trip, I think that feeling is probably still alive.

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:27:10 PM »
I certainly don't want to spoil Mr. Cornish's 90th, and I don't mean to call into question the enormous impact he has had on golf course architecture, but GC's destruction of many fine classic New England courses is something that rarely, if ever, draws mention.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:36:56 PM »
Nice article, but Sean's view is more often heard when I'm back East.  "That Ross course has been Cornished".

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 08:33:49 PM »
When I was 17 years old and lost at M.I.T., I wrote letters to several golf architects, and only two of them bothered to reply ... Pete Dye and Geoffrey Cornish.

Mr. Cornish said that it was a tough time in the business, but that there was always room for people with real talent.  For me, that was a light at the end of the tunnel that will never be forgotten.

I grew up on a Cornish design in Connecticut, Sterling Farms ... a 3 on the Doak scale, but Mr. Cornish's design fee of $ 2,000 helped make possible an affordable public course where I could learn the game.

SPDB:  Not all of Geoff's consulting advice was long-lived, but I don't know of any courses which he destroyed.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 08:43:37 PM »
I grew up on a Cornish design in Connecticut, Sterling Farms ... a 3 on the Doak scale, but Mr. Cornish's design fee of $ 2,000 helped make possible an affordable public course where I could learn the game.

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Doak's sentiments.  I have the utmost respect for Mr. Cornish and his committment to public golf.  He willingly designed public courses without charging astronomical fees.  There are few upper level architects that today are willingly to design affordable public courses.  Kudos, to Pete Dye on Wintonbury Hills. I have never played a Cornish design that was awful.  Always, enjoyable golf although seldom highly memorable.  I also cannot think of a Cornish course that is over $50 and many of us are not so fortunate as to be able to play the private Ross, Tillinghast, Raynor, Flynn, etc. designs.

Cliff

Robert Thompson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 10:58:02 PM »
Mr. Cornish is a very nice man and a great golf historian, which will likely be his lasting contribution to the game. Let's leave it at that....

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 09:47:58 AM »
Tom D. -
You're right that destroyed is too strong a word. But a large body of his work on New England courses, should receive the same criticism as Fazio's work at Riviera, but, oddly, doesn't.

How about Pt. Judith? Plainfield? Agawam Hunt? CC of F (with some help from RTJ). There are numerous Park, Jr. courses which can no longer be designated as such because of Cornish.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 03:03:19 PM by SPDB »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 09:59:46 AM »
I can't comment on his restoration work, but the Cornish courses I have played on have all been solid if not spectacular. Crestview and Hickory Ridge, both in Mass., are enjoyable courses with a few really good holes (the 18th at Hickory Ridge is a prime example—470-yard par four with a stream that cuts across the fairway at about 280 yards).

Last week I played the Golf Club of Avon, which is a 27-hole layout. I believe the original 18 holes were renovated by Cornish when he added 9 new holes in the mid-80s. The opening four holes were pretty pedestrian (fairways were WAY too close to each other), but once we got away from the clubhouse it was pretty good. The back 9 (the blue course, I think) was significantly better. I would guess those are the new holes that Cornish developed, although I'm not sure.

michael j fay

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:15:05 AM »
Geoffrey Cornish to my knowledge never did any Restoration work. His niche was developed while he was a Professor at the University of Massachusetts where many of the New England Superintendents were trained in the 50's, 60's and 70's. He was a GCA and when one of his former students had a structural problem on his course it was natural to seek advice from GC.

Most of GC's work on classic courses was done prior to any movement toward Restoration. I believe it was his intent to correct maintenece problems by redesign. He may or may not have been successful in solving these problems. Unfortunately, most of the redesign lessened significantly the character of the courses he worked on.

Mr. Cornish has a reputation as a gentleman and has been very important to the history of Golf Course Architecture. I have never heard a bad word spoken about GC personally.

As a lifetime Hartford resident I would take issue with the assessment of Avon Country Club. The original 18 was laid out by a civil engineer Richard Ross. Cornish redid the original and added nine. Of 27 holes I defy anyonyone to name three good ones. It is simply a collection of mediocre holes that has been a maintenence nightmare from day one.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr Cornish for lunch at a GCSAA convo in New Orleans.  Like any design archie fanatic getting to sit with one of the great historians of GCA, I must have picked his brain for 45 minutes.  He was very patient and never let on that I might have been giving him indigestion ;) ::)

He was genuinely interested in courses of my home area of Wisconsin and in one particular Wisconsin based archie that wouldn't send him a bio of his body of work for inclusion in the C&W book.  As it turned out, that archie was a personal acquaintence of mine with whom I had explored some potential land for a course with, and lived only blocks away from me.  Geoff asked me to try to get that fellow to send in his material, which he never did... :-[

That was a memorable lunch. 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
As a lifetime Hartford resident I would take issue with the assessment of Avon Country Club. The original 18 was laid out by a civil engineer Richard Ross. Cornish redid the original and added nine. Of 27 holes I defy anyonyone to name three good ones. It is simply a collection of mediocre holes that has been a maintenence nightmare from day one.

Come on. It isn't THAT bad. The holes around the clubhouse are way too tight with a nasty shooting gallery feel. Across the street, however, there are some much better holes. The fifth hole on the white course (a dogleg left with bunkers protecting the line to the green) was fun, as was the 8th (a straight par four with water on the left), although the 8th green was boring and had OB just behind it. On my back nine (the blue course, I think), there was a fun downhill par 5 and a short, slightly uphill par 4 that was only 317 yards that I liked.

Of course, none of this compares to the other good privates in the area like Hartford, Wampanoag, Tumblebrook, Farmington, etc. But I wouldn't characterize Avon as awful. At the very least, the greens were in good shape and the pace of play was great, so it's got that going for it. :)

Why has it been a maintenance nightmare? It was in pretty good shape when I played there on Saturday.

michael j fay

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 12:05:37 PM »
Dan:

The course has suffered from a long history of disappearing grass, from the fairways, the greens and just about everywhere else. It has also chewed up and spit out a large number of Superintendents over the years, some who have gone on to make a name for themselves elsewhere.

I did not say Avon was awful, just pedestrian and at best mediocre. If you want awful look to Glastonbury Hills, Tower Ridge, Hop Meadow, Century Hills, The Farms, Portland and Pautipaug.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 09:40:04 PM »
I remember a phone call from Geoff when the ASGCA met at Riviera.He invited me as his guest.I also remember there was only one guest at that meeting.What a wonderful man!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 10:01:10 PM »
Geoff is a class act, no doubt about it.

The year I was ASGCA president I had to host our GCSAA presentation. He sat in the front row, and later complimented me on the job I had done, even though I had my doubts. But later, I also got a nice note from him, recalling some of the days items in detail.  

My generation - or at least me - always had a bit of trouble with things like thank you notes!  And he really had no need to send one.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
I first met Geoff Cornish at Highlands Links a few years ago... at an anniversary celebration there.

We talked, and got to know each other a bit. [Imagine how many people he's spoken to, and briefly "gotten to know" over the years?!?!] Not more than two weeks later I received a letter from him politely asking for a copy of my first book [on the history of Essex G&CC], as well as copies of various articles I've written over the years.

Knowing that I've been working with Rod Whitman, Mr. Cornish has sent me subsequent notes simply asking what I'm up to in the field of golf course architecture, and writing. It's amazing that he'd find the time to be curious about me [nuts, actually!]... but again, it's an example of his continued, genuine interest in people in golf.

Amazing.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back