News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

Winter Weekend in SW Ireland
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:38:02 PM »
As a way to get through the doldrums of winter, I am thinking about a trip to SW Ireland in Jan or Feb.  Never having been there, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thurs - Depart NC
Fri - Arrive in Shannon 7AM; drive to and play Waterville; stay night in Tralee
Sat- 36 at Ballybunion; stay night in Tralee
Sun- Doonbeg; stay night in Lahinch
Mon - 36 at Lahinch; stay night at Lahinch
Tues- Depart Shannon 12PM

Thoughts on itinerary, lodging, courses...

Thanks,

Scott

Bill Gayne

Re:Winter Weekend in SW Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:03:44 PM »
The days will be short and the weather will be spotty but besides that it's an outstanding plan. Go expecting the worst and you may be surprised on the bright side. I'm sure you can find a warm pub if need be.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 01:17:14 PM »
Sounds good, but Tralee isn't the nicest spot in Co Kerry. It's ok, though.

John Marr(inan)

michael j fay

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 03:21:17 PM »
Arrive Shannon drive to Waterville, play Waterville and return to Tralee is a tall order, nearly 7 hours in the car on the worst roads in Ireland. Give yourself a break, drive to Waterville, play and spend the night at the Butler Arms Hotel, have dinner at the Huntsman. Get up early and drive to Ballybunion and play 18 (if you play 36 you end up playing the second 18 on the other course). After golf take the ferry across the Shannon and spend the night in Lahinch. There are numerous B&Bs in town as well as restaurants. Spend the rest of your time in Lahinch. Leave about 7:30 AM for a noon flight back.

Have fun!!

MJF

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 08:49:04 PM »
Scott,

I'm a big fan of winter visits to Ireland and have done it several times. Go with low expectations regarding weather and you may get lucky. I spent an enjoyable day walking Inch this past December and it was as nice as any day in summer.

Best part: no crowds.....great opportunty to meet locals. So don't rush around too much.
Tim Weiman

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 09:25:03 PM »
I spent an enjoyable day walking Inch this past December and it was as nice as any day in summer.

Best part: no crowds.....great opportunty to meet locals. So don't rush around too much.

i'll say you didnt rush around too much...next time challenge yourself and trying walking foot or even walking yard.  stop and rest every now and then if need be.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 11:08:06 PM »
Alex,

Actually, walking Inch can be quite a workout...it would take a week to cover it all.

Tim Weiman

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 10:46:42 AM »
i would not bother playing the second course at ballybunion. it is not worth the effort

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 11:11:27 AM »
M Fay is so right especially in the winter. That is a beautiful but tough drive. I would rather do it in th daytime and enjoy the sites than at night.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 11:20:12 AM »
Phillip,

Why is it not worth the effort? I also prefer the Old Course but I've played the Cashen multiple times and I particularily like the back side holes of 13, 16, and 17. If in Ballybunion it's well worth the effort to play the course. It's links golf over some pretty rugged dunes. This leads to some great views but also a fairly strenous walk. Like the Old Course the holes go in every direction so the wind direction is constantly changing.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 11:31:03 AM »
New member, so please forgive me, I too am planning a trip to Ireland but next July.  Any hints would also be appreciated.  Family trip with two golfers and three non golfer, playing early and doing some sight seeing on the side.  Golf:  Doonbeg, Lahnich, Tralee, Waterville, Ballybunion (both...36 holes that day), Old Head, and Portsmarnick.  I look forward to learning a great deal from the knowledgeable members of this site and perhaps giving a different view point on some of your topics.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 12:30:05 PM »
The thing about the Cashen course in Ballybunion is that you might just love it. Then again, you might hate it. It really does divide people.

Driving around the Ring of Kerry is absolutely beautiful, but slow. You will be on the Ring on your travels.

Dooks is worth a visit.

Jason - Killarney, Kenmare, Kinsale are good places for non-golfers to visit too. Lahinch is good fun at night, and the non-golfers can go and explore the Burren during the day. Gus Connors is a famous music pub in Doolin, which is nearby. It's worth a visit. You could also take a boat of plane out to the Arran Islands...

A good time to visit Co Clare is during the Willie Clancy festival, which is early July. Lots and lots of live Irish music in Milltownmalbay.

There's Puc Fair in Kilorglin, Co Kerry, too, where they crown a goat king every year.

Cork hosts the national Jazz festival every year on the October bank holiday weekend...

You might also get some ideas at http://www.ireland.travel.ie/

John Marr(inan)

Scott_Park

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 09:29:46 AM »
Thanks for the input.

In the winter, how strict would Ballybunion be about pushing play onto the Cashen course for a second round of the day?

Getting two rounds at Bally-Old would be enough for me to change my itinerary.

And on B&B, what is a good resource to find lodging in smaller towns?

Thanks,

Scott

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 11:29:33 AM »
John Marr(inan)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 07:00:33 PM »
Just about to impart some wonderful on topic knowledge to Jason and Scott and who should I find giving totally sensible advice but Jack Marr.  How am I going to keep banging on about what a great trip to ireland I had last year if you keep stealing my thunder, Jack. ;D

As I have said before I was not a fan of doonbeg. I'm not saying don't play it, just don't play it on your first visit.  There are many other IMO better options.  

Jason - if you've got time squeeze in Dooks on the Ring of Kerry and County Louth or The Island around Dublin.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 07:33:25 PM »
Scott,

Are you dead-set on SW Ireland?  Have you considered Dublin?  There great courses directly around Dublin (Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, European Club, The Island) and Royal County Down is about a 90 minute drive north.  And if the weather doesn't cooperate, Dublin's a great city to spend some time.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »
Brian/Scott-

Don't forget that Baltray (Country Louth) is also no more than about 45 miles north of Dublin. Another very fine Irish links. There is a newer course near Baltray as well (called Seapoint, I think), but I don't know much about it.

DT

Scott_Park

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »
Brian,  

The main reasons for thinking about the SW part of the island are the direct flights into Shannon and that I figure the SW is more likely to have better weather than the Dublin-Belfast area.

On a seperate note, we have an opening on Fri morning at Lochmere (956am) if you are interested.  

For the rest of the board, Lochmere is just southwest of St. Andrews, about 4000 miles; fact of the matter, its a Club Corp course in Cary, NC.

Scott

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 09:01:37 PM »
Scott,

Re: playing the Old at Ballybunion twice, Saturday might be tough even in the winter. The club obviously doesn't have many visitors that time of year, but club matches are just as popular during winter weekends as during the summer. So, scheduling might be issue.

As for the Cashen, I'm decidely biased. I almost prefer people to bash it.......part of what makes it so nice is that, typically, not many people are on the course.

Truthfully, the best approach is to play it not expecting the architecture to compare to the Old, but just to experience the amazing piece of property......a place so enchanting that during many visits I'm quite happy walking the Cashen even if I don't bother to play either course at all.
Tim Weiman

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 09:52:44 PM »
As for the Cashen, I'm decidely biased. I almost prefer people to bash it.......part of what makes it so nice is that, typically, not many people are on the course.

Tim,

I find this to be one of the great mysteries of GCA. Both Neil and yourself speak in spititual tones about Cashen, and then most seem to bash it. I have never been, but am dying to get back over and make my decsion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:53:15 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 11:25:31 PM »
Mike,

Neil and I could well be the Cashen's two biggest fans, not because either one of us would make a case for architectural greatness, but because we both feel so deeply about the land.

There is no place on earth I would rather be.

Truthfully, I might have even more extreme views than Neil. I don't mind spending a few days in town and not playing the Old Course. But, if I don't at least go out walking on the Cashen I feel a great loss. The place IS spiritual, at least for me.

Nowhere else makes me happier just to be alive.

Tim Weiman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »
Scott, Southwestern Ireland can have some lousy weather in the winter.  You might be better off on the eastern coast and play Portmarnock, Baltray, Island, The European club,et al.   They get less rain.  But if your heart is set on Ballybunion then buy one of those sweaters that is gore tex lined and some of that new underarmour.  It is awsome in keeping you warm.  Good luck.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Neil Regan

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2004, 03:07:50 AM »

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 08:41:42 AM »
 Neil
    That first picture is much appreciated,when i played there it was shrouded in fog.
AKA Mayday

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2004, 11:17:53 AM »
Brian,  

On a seperate note, we have an opening on Fri morning at Lochmere (956am) if you are interested.  

For the rest of the board, Lochmere is just southwest of St. Andrews, about 4000 miles; fact of the matter, its a Club Corp course in Cary, NC.

Scott

Hopefully you guys brought along your waders & muck-boots as I'm sure it'll be soaked after last night's rain. ;)  There's lots of fun places to play around us....I don't put Lochmere on that list.  Nice practice facilities though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back