News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

Cypress Point article
« on: July 29, 2004, 02:06:12 PM »
Hi all,

I remember reading one of the best articles ever about Cypress Point and the zen experience of walking between 15 and 16.  I just switched computers and lost it.  Anyone know the link so I can resave it or have a copy they could post.

Thanks,

Dave
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Wigler

Re:Cypress Point article
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:24:02 PM »
Never mind, I found it.  It is Wayne Freedman's review at http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/features/wayne_golf_course_review_cypress_point.html
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Dustin Knight

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 07:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the link David, I am currently trying to soak up Cypress Point information like a sponge and that article was
impressive.
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 11:37:12 PM »
David,

I'm surprised you found it. The piece is a couple of years old, and my writing skills are better now than then.

But---thanks for a very nice compliment.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:42:49 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 01:52:38 AM »
Dustin,

Buy Geoff Shackelford's book "Alister Mackenzie's Cypress Point Club". It will definitely satiate your need for information regarding this course. Excellent historical photographs, and a good history of the club's earliest years.

Tyler Kearns
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 01:53:02 AM by Tyler Kearns »

Dustin Knight

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 03:10:55 AM »
Thanks Tyler,

Another of the aussie GCA'ers suggested I get my mits on it as well. I ordered it through addall.com, (thanks for the tip Shane ) should arrive in Oz 21-28 days from now. I cannot wait to receive it :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 03:13:06 AM by Dustin Knight »
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 06:07:48 AM »
For FatBaldyDrummer

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 06:08:50 AM by Mike Sweeney »

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »
Thanks, Mike

But isn't this an obvious poster child for tree removal, even if just from an OSHA perspective?  That guy in the picture seems to be oblvious to the branch in front of him, and if he's more than 1.9 metres tall, I can smell a lawsuit coming!

Wayne

Don't discount your juvenilia.  You were a great slouch when you wrote that CPc review.

David Wigler

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 09:57:18 AM »
Wayne,

Thank you for writing it.  It truly captures the emotions I felt walking down that path.  It's funny, I forgot that you wrote it and were part of GCA.  I have read it 50+ times and never get tired of its ability to bring me back into that moment.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 10:20:21 AM »
A word of caution:

Anyone foolish enough to answer the call of nature between the 15th green and 16th tee runs the risk of going from red numbers to black numbers on the card, as one of GCA's finest can attest.

Don't mess with Texas - and don't mess with "The Walk."

Mike
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 10:34:22 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »
For FatBaldyDrummer

That is Way Cool, Mike,
For the moment I must be content with the walk from 11 to 12 at Kingsbarns (thru a glorious copse of ivy-covered sycamores....)
However, one day Cypress, I will be all yours to do with as you will... :)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back