News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bob_Huntley

MPCC Shore Opening.....
« on: June 13, 2004, 11:41:15 PM »
Last Friday evening, we had an opening celebration at the club, I was unable to attend, but my good friend, Bill Brown was there and sent me this message of the evening and his subsequent playing of the course. I thought I would post it in full.

"The course is a treasure.  It is though you took a Scottish or Irish links course and merged it with the best of Northern California scenery.  This combination makes it unique.  There are 13 holes along the ocean or with an ocean view.  The reorientation of play makes one actually feel as if he is
surrounded by the sea when on the course.

I do not know how to play this course yet, but I will learn.  When I do, I will be a better golfer.  Knowing how to play both the Dunes and Shore courses will make MPCC members some of the most capable and best-rounded club golfers in the world.

The course is fair; the fairways are ample--some would say wide; the ball rolls mostly in the direction in which it was hit - an event which favors the straight hitter over the long hitter.  There are no bunkers to prevent your rolling the ball onto the green but you may have a 150 ft putt when you
get there.  The greens are subtle and quite mature for their age - they will quickly separate the good putter from the ordinary or poor one.  The rough is naturally beautiful but penal.  Pars will be straightforward and birdies will require taking a chance - a characteristic I find and like in several
of the classic golf course designs such as the San Francisco Club.  There is a tee to suit any level of game at the Club.  The women with whom I have spoken who have played it like it because of its playability.  The scratch golfers who have played it think #7 and #9, both par 3s, are the most
difficult holes from the gold tees.  Number 8 and number 15, both dogleg left par 4s, seem to be the consensus for the "best" holes.  Number 18 seems to get the vote as the least favorite though this is damning with great praise when comparing it to the other 17 holes.

Each shot is framed with something, be it a rock in the ocean or a bunker put there for no other purpose than aiming.  The bunkers are strategically placed and are fair (i.e., you can actually get a flat lie).  The rough and the wind are the course's teeth.  Like the great links courses, the scores
will vary greatly depending on whether or not she is employing these defenses at the time of play.

I have heard no negatives yet though I do expect there to be an outcry to cut the rough in order to assist in the finding of stray shots.

The reception for the ribbon cutting on Friday night was well attended (I'm guessing 300+) and the sense of anticipation and excitement was palpable.
Mike Strantz actually made a speech during which he was interrupted 4 times with applause and given a standing ovation at the end.  His wife and small son were there beaming with pride.  His parents sat against the wall and
took in all the adulation.  Forest Fezler spoke after Mike and broke down when he described Mike and all he had overcome to complete this project.

Tears of joy were shared by all.

You will be proud of the course and you will love playing it.  MPCC has added something good to the world."

WLB

In addition, I would add that I met Mike and Heidi as I made my way to the tee at 10.30am on Saturday for my first round on the new course. I introduced myself and he recognised that I had presented him with the wishes of the members from GCA. Both Mike and Heidi were visibly moved that a disparate group of of enthusiasts were concerned of his well being. Gentlemen, you have no idea what your messages of support meant to this marvellous couple. Thank you all.

Bob Huntley

A_Clay_Man

Re:MPCC Shore Opening.....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:47:08 PM »
No sir, Thank you!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 08:21:39 AM »
Bob, thank you for creating the opportunity for us.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:58:03 AM »
Bob- It's been about a year, or so, since the whisper on the new Shore Course came-out. That whisper was that it will be the best on the peninsula. Realizing time, will be the test, do you believe it has a chance? If the Shore Couse were an IPO, Should we buy the stock directly or just play for the 10-1 shot with the leaps?

Is there a pool yet, on when the first member wants the dunes to be more like the shore? ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:04:03 AM by Adam Clayman »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:17:03 AM »
Mr. Huntley,

What are your insights on the course?  Are the greens a lot better than what they replaced?   Might there be some openings at CPC as a result of a number of their members voting with their feet and moving over to MPCC?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:23:19 AM »
Mr. Huntley,

What are your insights on the course?  Are the greens a lot better than what they replaced?   Might there be some openings at CPC as a result of a number of their members voting with their feet and moving over to MPCC?

Lou,

I really hope people won't take this as an opportunity to just make comparisons to the old Shore course or the Dunes course.  It would be like comparing Pinehurst #4 to #2, or old #4 to the new #4 (same land, different routing & architect).  

And would you EVER actually consider leaving CPC?   ???

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 10:30:07 AM »
Aw heck, it's only natural to expect that the new Shore will be compared to the Old Shore, and to all the other great courses around.  Sure it should be allowed to just stand on its own merits and be enjoyed - but if that was how things worked, would this web site exist?
 ;)

Can't wait to see the course in its entirety - so many drive bys lately, but that only gets you so much.   ;)

And yes, thank YOU, Mr. Huntley, for allowing us to participate in the well-wishes.

I doubt there's gonna be much clamor to make the Dunes like the new Shore, btw.  It's pretty damn great as it is.  If anything, take heed of Mr. Brown's words regarding the rough...

TH

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 11:07:40 AM »
Brian Gracely,

It seems only natural that the first point of comparison would be the "old" Shore, followed by one relative to the Dunes, then the other penninsula courses.  Hopefully, the Strantz course is unique and a fine test of golf.  Personally, I thought that the original Shore greens were very challenging and interesting, so if the "New" has a superior set, then all the better.  

Re:  CPC- I was being facetious.  I've played several courses that are a better test of golf than CPC, but never a greater golf course.  It is possible that someone would resign a CPC membership, though only death comes readily to mind.  Funny, in earlier times a few friends confided in me that they sometimes fantasized about being great actors, rock stars or professional golfers.  My fantasies were less heady and a bit more pedestrian than that, but I must admit that having the run of CPC often came to mind.  Not that even if 200 members at CPC would just move over to MPCC overnight, that I would have a snowball's chance in hell.

Bob Huntley,

I really would like to know your thoughts on the new Shore course.  Remember, I do not mind homers at all, and it ain't braggin' if it is that good.  

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 11:16:26 AM »
I don't presume Mr. Strantz has a PC (or MAC), and I would guess that no one would be more welcome in the treehouse...
cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back