News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Agman

Veeeeery private courses
« on: April 25, 2004, 12:55:53 PM »
Ring Lardner wrote a wonderful short story called "Mr. Frisbie," about a very wealthy man and the personal golf course in his backyard. I know Walter Anenberg had his own course in Palm Springs, and Bob Hope had three holes. I understand Wayne Huizenga has one as does shopping mall magnate Mel Simon. I also know there are several that no longer exist -- like Ocean Links in Newport. Any others you know about -- from full 18 holers to just a hole or two? Where are they? Who owns them? Who designed them? Has anyone played any of these? Are there any good anecdotes out there about these? (I seem to have once heard one about a course owned by a Dupont. His nephew supposedly called out one day to ask if he could play, and his uncle tole him it was all booked up. When asked who was playing, the uncle said, "Me.")
      Thanks...

js

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Veeeeery private courses
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 01:05:05 PM »
Oh Grounded One,

Currently, out in the desert is this lush playground called Porcupine Creek, and its so exclusive that the owner does not want anyone there period, yet, is so bold enough to make sure its listed in the SCGS/SCPGA Courses Guide with the name of the head professional, but no address.

Apparently the owner designed the course himself, and I don't care about playing it, I just want to see it because its supposedly he did a really good job and its unlike anything else in the Coachella Valley.

That is reason enough alone to celebrate!

Tom and Wayne can tell you about the Rockefeller Estate William Flynn Course that is reverseable.

Then there is Jamie Perenchio who happens to own te property closest to Surfrider Beach in Malibu where he has a set-up for his wife that features like 6 greens and a bunch of tees that can be played to make an 18 hole course with no hole alike.

Didn't Willie Hearst have a nine-holer on castle property?

ROSEBUDDDDDD!

Death comes to Charles Foster Kane"

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 01:12:24 PM »
Dont know the exact specifics, but I have driven by and seen, and seen the aerial view of a course in north Atlanta (near CC of South area I think) that is in some guys yard.  Albiet a very large yard.

As I recall the course has 6 greens and multiple tee locations and fairway combinations that make it play like 18 different holes.

Anyone who knows more about who owns this place can jump in and give some more details.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 01:27:29 PM »
Sanctuary in Colordao is owned by the head of Remax.  You can read some stories about it through a google search.  
Cherokee Plantation is also very private, although they do have a website.

Jeff

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 02:13:23 PM »

Robert_Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 02:28:36 PM »
Asherwood

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »
I can think of 2 others:

There is a private island off the cost of Washington with an 18 hole course and

There is a private course next to Bandon Dunes done by Tom Doak.

Anyone know the names?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 03:18:49 PM »
"The institute" in Gilroy ca. has been discussed here before. 8,000 yards long and the last I had heard was in a spot of trouble for skipping a few permits in the process. ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 03:27:53 PM »
Hominy Hills, a Robert Trent Jones-designed course in Colts Neck NJ, was built as a private course in the 1960's. The owner was a gentlemen in the shipping business who belonged to one of the more "blue-blooded" country clubs in Monmouth County.

In the course of his business, the gentlemen had  frequent occasion to entertain Asian clients and business contacts. At some point, he was advised that his guests were not especially welcome at the club where he belonged. The story goes that he built Hominy Hills solely to use for entertaining business clients.

I grew up not too far from the course and drove by it often. I don't think I ever saw anyone actually playing on the course.

At some point after the owner's death, the course was gifted to Monmouth County and has been operated as a public course ever since. I believe it is one of the very few courses to host both the USGA Men's and Women's Public Links.  

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 04:59:32 PM »
Agmaniac,

Don't forget JD Rockefeller wasn't the only member of the family with a private course.  His older brother, William, had an 18-hole course on his nearby estate, Rockwood Hall.  Dan Wexler wrote about it in his second book on lost courses, "Lost Links."  Rockwood Hall was a 5800 yard par 70 by Devereux Emmet built in 1926.

Best,
Wayne

Steve Curry

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 06:33:06 PM »
David,

To add to your story after Henry Mercer died some of the members from the same club, that he had left, came to his wife and asked to buy the course.  She sold Hominy Hill to the county for much less than she could have.

Steve

(I was an assistant at Hominy for awhile.  I had staff that had been there since it had been a farm.  They told stories that they would spend all week mowing and caring for the course only to have maybe 1 or 2 foursomes a week.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:33:39 PM by stephen_curry »

ChipOat

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 08:05:09 PM »
Gordon estate across the road from Atlantic in Bridgehampton, NY; 9 holes or less; supposed to be pretty good; possibly also Rees but not certain.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 08:07:39 PM »
Double Eagle in Ohio?

the "new" Atlantic City CC?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 08:14:33 PM »
There is one in Napa California that I believe is 9 holes.  It was owned by some Hollywood producer who recently sold it to some high tech honcho.  They hold numerous events for fund raising there.

A number of these listed are small pieces of property with multiple tees.  As for full championship 18 holes, Sanctuary in Colorado, The Institute just south of San Jose (owned by Fry's electronics), and The Floridian by Wayne Huzeinga are possibly the only 3 left in the US?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 08:20:13 PM »
Sanctuary in Colordao is owned by the head of Remax.  You can read some stories about it through a google search.  
Cherokee Plantation is also very private, although they do have a website.

Jeff

I think Sanctuary technically has two members, Dave and Gail Lineger (?sp).  Dave started Remax Realty, and he and his wife are the only members.  However before everyone gets on their high and mighty about why any two people would need a course like that all to themselves.  They give the course away quite often to various local charities who are allowed to raise money by selling the ability to play Sanctuary.  Also I beieve the Remax orginization also uses times as perks.

I think Huizenga's course (The Floridian) he is technically the only "Equity Member" if you will, but there are several honarary members that he allows out there to play at their leisure.  I have been in clubhouses where the club championship trophy or interclub trophy is in the trophy case, but that has to be the only clubhouse I have ever seen that had the Superbowl trophy and the World Series trophy in its case.  Wayne might also be the only guy who can name the different tee boxes after his sports teams.  I think the back tees are the Dolphin tees, followed by the Marlins, the Panthers, and the Manatees (whom I understand is a minor league baseball team or something)

Oh yeah and incase you need it the course has places on the intercoastal right behind the clubhouse where you can park your yacht, or a helicopter pad if you need it.

Cherokee Plantation is exclusive, but not in the sense of this thread I dont think.  I dont know that the membership numbers are exactly public knowledge, but I would guess they are closer to 100 than they are to just 1.  If anyone knows otherwise I defer to their knowledge, but that is just the feel that I have gotten from comments I have heard here in SC.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 08:22:39 PM by Daryl K. Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2004, 08:49:48 PM »
There is a 9 hole course in Masters Colorado designed by Rick Phelps for Mr Anschutes of Qwest, LA Kings and the Staples center.

Tommy the course in Palm Springs does it belong to the developer of Yellowstone Tim Blixeth?

Dennis_Harwood

Re:Veeeeery priate courses
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 08:55:47 PM »

Currently, out in the desert is this lush playground called Porcupine Creek, and its so exclusive that the owner does not want anyone there period, yet, is so bold enough to make sure its listed in the SCGS/SCPGA Courses Guide with the name of the head professional, but no address.

Tommy-- Its very, very good--

Clearly among the top 5 in the Coachella Valley-- Kind of a shame no one gets to play it--

To Larry-- Yes, the course is actually identified as the Blixeth Residence.

George Blunt

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 09:11:57 PM »
Kerry Packer has an 18 hole course designed by Greg Norman/Bob Harrison on his farm "Elliston" in NSW.  It is ranked by some magazines in the top 30 in Australia.
George

michael j fay

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2004, 09:20:05 PM »
The Mellon family had Donald Ross build two courses: Rolling Rock in Latrobe PA which was nine-holes until about 7 years ago., the second was in Osterville, MA and is IOyster Harbors. Both now have regular memberships.

Double Eagle is privately owned and has a membership of 50. Fred Smith built the Golf Club in Columbus.

The Rockerfellers had a course at Pontico Hills and another at Overhills Estate outside of Fayetteville, C (now owned by the Army).

Seems that Raynor built a lot of private (one-owner) courses but most are NLE.

There is a 9 holer in Millerton, NY with two sets of tees. Stephen Kaye built it. I think the name is Boston Corners.

IMHO, the Golf Club in Columbus is the best of the one-owner creations.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2004, 09:34:11 PM »
The land across the road from Atlantic CC in Bridgehampton, NY features an estate course, which I imagine is private. It was designed by Rees Jones, and from aerial photography looks similar in style to it's neighbour. The course features something like 4 greens and many tee options to create many different holes.

Tyler Kearns

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2004, 09:42:31 PM »
Rick Dees has a 9 hole course called "Sweetbriar" on his property somewhere close to Louisville.  A Matt Dye design.

A "good friend" got to play there after meeting Rick Dees at his course.  He said they were the only ones out there and a greenskeeper followed them around and changed hole locations so the 2nd time played differently.  He said his host was very nice as was the entire experience.
Steve Pozaric

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2004, 09:52:28 PM »
Rick Dees, a nationwide DJ, has a farm in Danville Ky, between Louisville and Lexington.  He has a nine hole course designed by one of the Dye family called Sweetbriar Golf Club.  Myself and a few others had the priveledge of playing it two yrs ago.  We were the only 5 people to play there the entire week.  The course was fun and in perfect shape.  We dipped our shoes in chlorine when we arrived, he is very cautious about poa.  Everything from the ProV range balls to the Zero Restriction Range suits in his clubhouse for guests in case of rain was incredible.  Since it is only 9 holes the super went behind us and changed the pins for the back side.  I could go on and on, it was awesome. The super gave us prizes for long score and high, I had a 75 and he gave me a set of headcovers.  We all also received a hat, sleave of logo balls of our choice, and a logo glove. The logo for the club has EPLURUBUS PUTTUM on it, In God we putt. Here is Rick Dees page for those who dont know him.   http://www.rick.com/main.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 09:55:30 PM by Nick Pozaric »

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »
I didnt even see your post till after I posted mine, oops:)

Rick Dees has a 9 hole course called "Sweetbriar" on his property somewhere close to Louisville.  A Matt Dye design.

A "good friend" got to play there after meeting Rick Dees at his course.  He said they were the only ones out there and a greenskeeper followed them around and changed hole locations so the 2nd time played differently.  He said his host was very nice as was the entire experience.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2004, 09:57:35 PM »
One of our members  has 3 practice greens in his back yard with multiple tees, fairways, bunkers etc.  All designed by Crenshaw/Core. How about that!  I have not been out there but it is supposedly manicured better than Augusta.  The same person also has the land and routing done by Crenshaw/Core for a full 18 holes very exclusive private club.  The member is waiting for his house to be finished and his company to settle down before they start construction.  During the process they had several of the TOP guys come in to look at the land.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 10:18:27 PM by Nick Pozaric »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2004, 09:58:33 PM »
Charlottesville, VA a town of 110,000 has 2 of these courses both 9 holes.

Just south of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello is Albermare House the home of Patricia Kluge.  I actually played it for the first time last weekend, as the guest of one of her key people.  We did not have a card and was more interested in enjoying the day and being social than the focusing on the golf, but the course is clearly over 3000 yards but not by a lot.  There are a few holes with double fairways or alternate tees that change the angle of approach.  Story is that the team from Seay/Palmer did the design when they redid another course in town.

To the west of town is another 9 hole course on the estate of the Seagrams family.  Don't know much but from driving by looks like it would be 3000 yards +.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back