News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Three new Mike Miller original oil paintings...
« on: April 20, 2004, 08:59:45 PM »
...are added under the Art & Architecture section.

They are of the 16th at CPC, the 18th at Pebble, and a rarely done angle of the 9th and 10th at Pebble from near the 8th tee.

All three are found on the second page of the Art & Architecture section. The one of the 18th at Pebble particularly shocked me as it features the Del Monte Lodge (this from an artist who originally never included flagsticks in his earlier paintings!).

We now have approximately thirty of Mike's paintings posted. Many of them cost five figures (he sold one here in Pinehurst for $20,000), so you REALLY need to be nice to your girlfriend/wife if you want one for Christmas. However, suppose she was tuning in - which of the thirty paintings do you wish was hanging in your library?

I think my vote would go to the one of the 5th at Sunningdale New, with maybe the runner-up being the one of the 13th at CPC that is on the front page of this web site.

Cheers,

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Three new Mike Miller original oil paintings...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 09:07:55 PM »
It's wonderful that you expose Mike's work to lovers of golf architecture here at GCA, Ran. (Wish I could affordable to support his efforts financially! Maybe someday?)

I particularly like that rarely done angle, looking toward the 9th and 10th at Pebble Beach from the 8th tee. Brilliant.

I admire your work, Mike.  
jeffmingay.com

ChipOat

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 09:42:10 PM »
Ran:

Interesting point re: #18 at Pebble as the vista includes no green complex and no close-up of any important bunkering.

If you're going to paint that view, it's tough to "airbrush" (oilbrush?) the Lodge away!

Did it used to be called the Del Monte Lodge back then?  I have the history book but not close by.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 09:57:20 PM by chipoat »

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 09:44:22 PM »
Ran - This is such a terrific part of the site, thanks for diligently continuing to add more of these.

I agree with you about Sunningdale New 5th, the i like the misty effect employed. I also enjoy PV #5. Mr. Miller clearly has an appreciable talent for capturing the sublimity of Colt holes numbered #5. Coincidence?

Others that I like are the 10th at WF, 17th at Cypress and the series from Riviera. I think he captures the Thomas bunkering perfectly.  

Now where did I put that $11,000...its around here somewhere...

By the way, I prefer Miller's other painting of the 13th which I think better conveys the depth and size of the surrounding dune - which can be found and purchased at www.scottsdalecollection.com.

*here is a link to Scottsdale Collection's copyright/use policy. If Mike or anybody else objects to me copying this picture into GCA, just say the word and I'll take it down.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:23:22 AM by SPDB »

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 09:54:43 PM »
I think I'd learn to paint before I spent $20,000 on a painting. :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:17:23 AM »
I think the 17th at Sand Hills has GG's name on it! ;) ;D

Mike seems to have a special affinity for the Riv.  I love'em all 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 02:23:48 AM »
Mike seems to have a special affinity for the Riv.

Hmmm, I wonder why.... :)

All the site contrarians will of course call me cliche, but I prefer almost all of the historical photos to the newer vintage ones.

I think I like the Cape Hole at NGLA best. Tough to beat the 5th at either Sunningdale or Pine Valley paintings, though.

I wish they'd commission Mike to do one of the holes at Barnbougle. Maybe someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

brad_miller

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 05:22:15 AM »
Mike's work can be in anyones hands via his signed copies. I have the old 7th at PB, the 16th at CPC which has just been posted and the 13th at CPC which both I and Sean like. They make great gifts to golf hosts when the number of players gets above 3-4.

Am partial to the 2nd at Prairie Dunes, although given the bunker work going on, I may have to send mine back to Mike for a touch up!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back