News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

"Stupid Tree" Match-Play: ANGC vs. CPC
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:18:33 AM »
Surprisingly, after a hole-by-hole analysis, I have it a push.  What sayeth you who dwell not in flyover country?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

THuckaby2

Re:"Stupid Tree" Match-Play: ANGC vs. CPC
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:22:42 AM »
Mike:  please clarify the question.  Is it just hole-by-hole normal match play or are you somehow trying to determine which trees are stupid?

BTW, I saw what you wrote re 14 at CPC - in what way is that a chute?  Man, there are trees on both sides, but it's not THAT tight.. it must be 40 yards from side to side.  The chute effect kinda happens on the approach, but then again there's a lot of room to the right of the green...

If you think that's a chute, God help you if you ever play Bayonet up the road.   ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 11:30:22 AM »
Tom,

Remember, not all of us his that lovely high iron shot that floats like a butterly and stings like a bee.

Your tree county methodology suffers from America's stroke play obsession.  My question is essentially "which course has the most holes where trees necessarily encroach on play?"

Let me confess up front that I am more than slightly peeved about the bashing Augusta National Golf Club continues to receive notwithstanding the numerous back-handed compliments posted in the past few days.  

Mike

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:37:47 AM »
Mike:

OK, you've completely lost me.  I love both courses and would kill to play either.  I believe I have no dog in this hunt.

I am particularly clueless about:

"Your tree county methodology suffers from America's stroke play obsession."

But that's ok, I'm clueless about a lot of things.

;D  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 11:46:15 AM »
Mike:
 I believe I have no dog in this hunt.

Tom, with apologies to Tammy, "sometimes it's hard to be a woman."

Mike

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 11:57:45 AM »
It must be.  ;D

I just truly have no idea what you want here, nor do I have any clue what you meant by that quote:

"Your tree county methodology suffers from America's stroke play obsession."

I have to be one of the least stroke-play obsessed golfers in the world.  

So OK, with that in mind...

Both courses have lots of trees that come into play.  I've never seen Augusta in person, so I really can't guess which are necessary and which are unnecessary - it's really hard to tell on TV.

I also don't know what you mean by "necessarily encroach on play."  Does that mean they are meant to be there, and they are good things?  

See, that's what I'd call the trees on 14 at CPC... they make for a very tough golf hole, and without them, you would add the intriguing angle coming from the right, but you'd also put the lives of countless tourists in jeopardy.  I kinda LIKE the precision required on that tee shot... I also like how damn tough the approach is... I really believe that's one of the hardest "short" par 4's on the planet, and thus I like it just as it is.  Take the trees out and there's no reason to ever go left... Straight at the hole would be all that's ever necessary, given the length.  

So you see, Chip Oat please forgive me, but I don't think many trees are "stupid."  Oh, I prefer links golf and courses without them, but I also think they work damn well in very many places.

So do you want me to assess which holes have trees that are bad and need to be removed, or which holes have trees that are good and make the hole better, or both, or what?

Told you I was clueless.

TH
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 11:59:04 AM by Tom Huckaby »

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »
Wait a second - I just figured this out - it does take me awhile, I am slow to attribute things like this to friends.  But what's going on here is you're not pleased with people taking potshots at one of your'n, so you figure you'll redirect it at one of our'n.

Well... I think I'll go back to I have no dog in this hunt.  I consider both of them to be MY'N.

You'll read no potshots at Augusta from me.  I love it and think it's just fine as it is.  Same goes for Cypress.  Both have trees that come into play.  Maybe Cypress has more.  If it does, I sure can live with it.  I've given this some thought and I can only think of one hole at CPC that would have a net positive with tree removal - #18 - that is a bit much even for me.  The only one I can think of at Augusta that would be a net positive is #17 - I'm with Ike on that one.  So it is a tie after all!

TH
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:14:34 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back