News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Grossman

New Bunker on #10 at Rustic Canyon
« on: April 11, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »
I took some pictures of the new cross-bunker on #10 at Rustic Canyon.  Apparently, Jim Wagoner (sp?) of Gil Hanse's crew came out in the last 10 days and built it.  Personally, I think the bunker is fantastic.  While it is much higher profile and "in your face" than most of the bunkers on the golf course, I thought it came out well and adds a lot of interest to a somewhat boring hole.

View from about 100 yds in front of the tee

Two upclose views - NOTE - NOT TAKEN FROM LINE OF PLAY
These pictures look from the left rough at a 45 degree angle to the right rough

View from about 250 yds from the green from the right rough

View back towards the tee

Inhale or EXHALE!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

David Moriarty (featured above) can add some commentary about how he thinks the bunker alters the play of the hole.

I will say (DMoriarty disagrees with me) that the bunker didn't affect the way I played the hole.  I couldn't get it to the bunker off the tee and I always play left on my second shot.  That being said, I think it makes the hole look a whole lot cooler than it did before....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:25:01 PM by Dan Grossman »

Brian_Gracely

Re:New Bunker on #10 at Rustic Canyon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 09:24:19 PM »
Dan,

I'm not able to view the pictures (just an "X").  Are they on a server that requires password privledges?

Dan Grossman

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 09:25:50 PM »
Brian - I just fixed it.  You should be able to see them now.  It usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to get it right.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 09:39:11 PM »
How far off the tee is the new bunker?  

Is that a new mound on the right side of the fairway (in the 1st picture) or something else?  It would seem to be a small hinderance to taking it down the right side and the shorter route.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 09:47:32 PM »
From the back tees, I'm guessing that the left side of the  cross bunker is approximately 280 - 300 yds from the tee.  That "mound" on the right side, is a small bathtub bunker similar to the one on the right side of #2.  I like that, because it is enough of a penalty that it sticks in your mind while you are hitting the tee shot.  Unfortunately, you can't see it from the tee due to a bush about 30yds from the tee.  I think the bush needs to be chopped back or taken out.

From the black tees the cross bunker is pretty tough to get to, however, from the blue tees it is a different story...

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 10:03:49 PM »
From the back tees, I'm guessing that the left side of the  cross bunker is approximately 280 - 300 yds from the tee.  

From the black tees the cross bunker is pretty tough to get to, however, from the blue tees it is a different story...

Doesn't the hole normally play downwind during the summer?  It played into the wind (and up-canyon) in March, but doesn't it become reasonably reachable downwind?

Dan Grossman

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 10:08:07 PM »
You could get into it on the left side, probably, during the summer.  Its tough to know since they just put it in.  

DMoriarty said (and I agree with him) that it is similar to the hazard on #5.  People think they can get to it and will lay back, but probably don't need to.  If you want to flirt w/ the right side, I doubt anyone but the longest of the long could hit it into the bunker from the back tees.

Brian Noser

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 12:46:01 AM »
I played on sat into a normal wind in our face. and played up the right missing the pot bunker 30 yards short of the big bunker. which no one has mentioned,I was about 10 yards short of going into the cross bunker. the bunker looks nice for the shorter hitter it will come into play on the second shot more. Force them to play further left. As for me I can get to the bunker off the tee so it will make me lay off it a bit unlike before where i could just bang away. over all I think it is a pretty good addition to the hole.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 10:43:02 AM »
Brian -

So you can get to the right side of the cross-bunker off the tee??  Wow.  I think the right side of the cross bunker is probably 320 - 340 or so from the black tees.  

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
Brian -

So you can get to the right side of the cross-bunker off the tee??  Wow.  I think the right side of the cross bunker is probably 320 - 340 or so from the black tees.  

Brian hit ball far.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 11:10:22 AM »
Well, I guess that bunker must make the hole much more difficult for him to go for the green in two.  The cross bunker forces the long player to either lay-back out of range or challenge the bathtub bunker to get it close enough to the cross bunker on the right side to have a go.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 11:29:05 AM »
Is the area of the new bunker also a natural drainage area?  So it's possible that all the sand could be washed out during a hard storm and you could have a bunch of areas that are rocks or other "unplayable" lies (read: I'm going to break my club if I attempt this) as opposed to sandy waste areas?  

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 12:16:31 PM »
Well, I guess that bunker must make the hole much more difficult for him to go for the green in two.  The cross bunker forces the long player to either lay-back out of range or challenge the bathtub bunker to get it close enough to the cross bunker on the right side to have a go.

Definitely- seems to force the longer hitter to a tighter area- no more a simple grip it and rip it- fortunately for me, I'd have to jump all over a drive to challenge, so really, if I ever hit it in the bunker, I'll pat myself on the back, say "Well done" and grab a 7 iron to lay up happily.

I'm really eager to get out and see the new work, but with aeration of tees and fairways, I'm staying away for at least another week or two...any word on the most current conditions, and an ETA from those who have recently played on when putting will become more than just a guessing game?

Brian Noser

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 12:32:18 PM »
Ryan,

I would say the greens were a bit bumpy but I can not putt so that did not matter to me.  but I would think that If you and I were to play next weekend the greens would have had enough time to be ok. they were not horriable by any means just a little bumpy. email me if you would like to go. and any one else can come also if you are in town. email me I can try to make a time.

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 12:37:08 PM »
Bri- try to make a time - what time does twilight start now, 2?

I may not be in town- might be going camping, but better to have a time and cancel (ill find out for sure by tues or wed) then to not have a time at all!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back