News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Larry_Keltto

Your favorite holes at Bandon
« on: February 29, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »
I will be playing at Bandon in three weeks. It's my first trip there, and I wanted to get opinions on your favorite holes -- and why -- at Bandon and Pacific.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Your favorite holes at Bandon
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 08:07:01 PM »
Bandon Dunes, 3, 4, 5 great hole,11,12, 14 great hole.
Pacific Dunes all of them.

blasbe1

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »
Bandon's #4 and Pacific's #11 if I had to choose only two ;)  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 10:14:50 PM »
Tiger, not #16 Bandon?  Most controversial if not most playable!  It all depends on the wind direction!  

I've played 3 rounds at Pacific and one at Bandon and can honestly say there's not a bad hole there of the 36.  The entire experience is outstanding, from lodging to food to bar to walking only.  Great practice area.  

Some have complained about #18 Bandon as not too great a finishing hole, but I liked it.  The green site on the par 5 is so big that the approach angle is critical.  The second cannot just be blasted out there willynilly but needs to be accurately placed for a decent third.

I'll be out there in September, can't wait!  Bandon Dunes and Cuscowilla are my two favorite reasonably affordable golf resorts in America.

golf54

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 07:12:42 AM »
If I only had to pick two, they would be

4 at Bandon, the first ocean hole, turning the corner to see the green sitting above the ocean.  Strategic off the tee, more distance brings the bunker into a play but a shorter approach shot.  An aggressive drive over the corner can get close to the green....plus the approach into the green allows for creativity using the bank on the right side of the green....

6 at Pacific.  Driver leaves a short approach, to a very long but narrow green, but pull it left and you face a very steep approach with the narrow angle to the green.  Laying up off the tee leaves a longer approach, but push it right and the deep bunker comes into play....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 12:10:02 PM »
Bill, I do like 16 into the winter wind. However I feel 17 is poorly served by the current 16 as well as 15 to an extent. I feel the 16th hurts the whole back nine. 13 is the other weak hole there. It is really a poor poor hole 80% of the time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 12:30:27 PM »
I have to agree re #13 and #15 because I can't really remember either one.  Which par 3 hole has the deep deep bunker?  Is that #14?

I disagree about #17, think that was a good hole.  The angle is better the closer you can make yourself hit it toward the gunge.  Of course that is based on my time around the course.  I hit a very good 4 iron on that green and completely ignored the caddy's advice about line, wound up 5' off line and 3 putted!

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 12:40:12 PM »
Bill, 15 is the par 3 you are thinking of.  #13 is the par 5 with the wild fairway and green and no bunkers.  It also has the only water hazard that is not on the edges of the course.  I like 13.  When it is downwind you have to think about the tee shot.  Playing left definitely gives a better angle, but that hazard is in play.  Playing right frequently means ending up behind the ridge and having to get the ball up pretty quickly.   Hitting the green in 2 really requires a ball bouncing in from the left unless the wind is so strong you can fly it on. Then there is the green, which may be one of the more interesting greens around with the large mound in the middle.  I have a good friend who thinks that both 13 and 17 should have their greens blown up, but I really enjoy both of them.

As for my favorites, I'll take 7 on Bandon and 13 on Pacific.  I love the blind tee shot on 7 to a fairway that is wider than you think even if you've played it 20 times like I have.  Then the second is scary regardless of the direction of the wind.  When it is from the left you don't know if it will blow it over to the drop off and when it is from the right, you have aim over the drop off and hope.

13 on Pacific is just a wonderful natural hole that has the width required for the winds and lovely bunkering.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 05:03:54 PM »
Larry - One piece of advice - take a disposable camera to remember your journey!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back