News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:Best Matchplay Courses
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2004, 08:02:11 PM »
Paul Turner, given the ambitious agenda laid out by Mr. Goodale, we will definitely contest some match play over the hallowed grounds of Painswick!

James Edwards

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2004, 08:27:16 PM »
Looking forward to that!
@EDI__ADI

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2004, 09:00:35 PM »
Of course you gentlemen also know that a wonderful match play course is Rustic Canyon... and that will be the only form of play approved for The King's Putter in a month or so...

Bill, you're gonna be match-played to death. ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2004, 11:05:23 PM »
Not for the first time!  :P

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 11:35:01 PM »

You may recall Greg Norman hit a drive and a 4-iron into that green the year he pushed it right and lost the Masters.  A few years later, players were hitting sand wedges into that green, a green not designed to accept sand wedges.  

Norman used a 3 wood off the 18th tee that day.

And a balata ball ...

Not so, Mr. B.  He used the two-piece Spalding Tour Edition in 1986.  The thing was a real spinner...spun more than balata.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2004, 01:11:28 AM »

You may recall Greg Norman hit a drive and a 4-iron into that green the year he pushed it right and lost the Masters.  A few years later, players were hitting sand wedges into that green, a green not designed to accept sand wedges.  

Norman used a 3 wood off the 18th tee that day.

And a balata ball ...

Not so, Mr. B.  He used the two-piece Spalding Tour Edition in 1986.  The thing was a real spinner...spun more than balata.

OK I'll buy that (can't slip anything past you ...) but it definetly wasn't a hot ball like today ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ForkaB

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2004, 02:38:58 AM »
I think that the discussion re: 17 and 18 at ANGC is very revealing.  Given the evidence of the past 40 years of stroke play competition, I think that these two holes would be SUPERB in match play.  Both holes are relatively "simple" on paper, but in the heat of competition they have proved their worth, and have often been pivotal in Masters which were close run affairs.  I can't remember too many situations where the tournament was on the line and all the contenders had ho-hum 4-4 finishes.  More the reverse.  17 is a hole where a par is expected, but a birdie can really close the deal.  I remember PLayer and Watson and Nicklaus (86) doing so.  18 is more of a gut check can I make the par I need to win the Masters sort of hole.  The quality of the players who have failed this gut check (Palmer, Norman, Watson come to mind) attests to its value in match play.

This all, of course, just goes to prove my theory that any great stroke play course will also be a great match play course and vice versa.

And then there's Painswick..............

Playing Painswick is an adventure.  Playing matches there will be an exhilerating challenge.  However, anyone who would ever wished to play that course with a card and pencil in their hands should be committed.

EAF

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2004, 09:14:45 AM »
I think the best matchplay courses have a good mixture of holes with varying length and hazards. When poor shots are penalized and the "anything can happen, on any hole" danger lurks; that is a good matchplay course.

I nominate Bethpage Black as the best public course for matchplay. Birdies are rare, pars are tough, and bogeys are not easy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back