News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Allen

The Ultimate Golf Vacation - USA
« on: February 29, 2004, 09:07:12 AM »
Myself and some friends are thinking about a golf vacation to the USA in a couple of years - call it the ultimate golf vacation. It's either the East Coast or West Coast. Already, I've checked out Golf Magazine's Top 100 You Can Play list.

However, we were wondering if anybody is aware of ways & means of playing some of the Classic Courses e.g. Winged Foot, Maidstone, Baltusrol, Cypress, Los Angeles CC etc...

Many of the (Golf Digest) Top 100 are private and similar to Muirfield, Rye, Loch Lomond etc.. on our shores. So I know it's a long shot but any help would be much appreciated.

Ben

A_Clay_Man

Re:The Ultimate Golf Vacation - USA
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 09:16:46 AM »
Ben, Access is a touchy issue around here. As well it should be. There have been stories of abuses in the past, so finding help may be a little difficult, here. Not that people don't want to help, they love meeting new people from all over the world. With that said, hopefully I can be wrong and you will get the access you need on the east coast. If not, I'd recommend the west coast. More public access course, better weather.

Perhaps if you describe what it is you like about golf architecture, people can mold their recommendations to your interests If however, you just want to play "name" courses, it may be problematic.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 10:16:04 AM »
 8)

In a couple of Years??  How long will you take and what form of travel do you have? Lear Jet or rental car?

Forget the east or west coasts completely, i.e., within 100 miles of them.  They talk too fast and since many of the classics are from "old world masters" do you really need to see them or play them?  

If time is limited, you could spend a week in almost any locale.  If you really want to see the US, go for the heartland of it all, perhpas from Cleveland/Pittsburg diagonally to Santa Fe, NM..  Now that would show you some real americana..

Regards

8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 10:16:49 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Moore

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 11:56:24 AM »
However, we were wondering if anybody is aware of ways & means of playing some of the Classic Courses e.g. Winged Foot, Maidstone, Baltusrol, Cypress, Los Angeles CC etc...

I am aware of at least one way to play these courses, which is to become a member.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »
Michael Moore,

There's a second way, you could be the guest of a member ;D

Dave_Miller

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 03:55:25 PM »
Michael Moore,

There's a second way, you could be the guest of a member ;D

Ben:
Just get in touch with Pat.  He belongs to just about every club in the east that makes the list.  He even ignores the 14 club limit ;D ;D
Best
Dave

Ben Allen

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
Okay, my suspicions confirmed. Not sure it's that easy for a middle class englishman (employed in a working class industry, greenkeeping) to get member status at (dare I say it) upper class, super rich country clubs such as Pine Valley, Winged Foot, Shinnecock etc...

And I thought golf courses were built to be played. Ah well, there's always the muni's for those of us with only nickels and dimes in our pockets!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
Ben:

If you want to play a good mixture of high quality golf courses that won't cause you to be bankrupt or need blue blood to play them I suggest visiting New Mexico. You have a range of courses that stretch very close to each other -- primarily in Albuquerque and Santa Fe and the others of note -- Pinon Hills -- are not that far away to play.

The state has plenty of historic significance and your family can enjoy a wde range of events and activities.

On the golf side you can play ...

Black Mesa (Santa Fe area)
Twin Warriors (Tamaya Resort - Albuquerque area)
Paa-Ko Ridge
Pinon Hills (Farmington)
University of New Mexico / Championship (Albuquerque area)
You also have second tier layouts with Taos CC, Isleta and Towa Resort, to name just a few.

Clearly, other areas of the country are also consideration (e.g. Grand Strand, Vegas, Palm Springs, etc, etc).

I've always found NM to be an area that provides ease of movement (little traffic nightmares), reasonable costs and a wide spectrum of people and acitivities to keep everyone happy. The golf is also improving vastly with each passing year. Enjoy ...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »
Ben- The depth and breath of affordable golf, in the states, is large. The details are all chronicled within this cyber realm. One needs to seperate the wheat from the chaff and combine that with what you want to experience. You want to play a Pine Valley, try, world woods pine barrens or southern dunes, both in florida.

Many brits come here, and want the americanized version of golf. Probably because it so different. If so I'd recommend the southwest. Mesquite, Santa Fe, Vegas. It really is dependant on your middle class englishmans preferences.

what are they?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 04:37:06 PM by A_Clay_Man »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »
With all due respect - the best affordable golf holiday, playing world class courses, private or public, can be had pretty much anywhere in the world outside the USA.
I just returned from Australia where only 2 courses worth visiting were not available to the uninvited visitor. All you need is a little planning, a handicap certificate and email the secretary's office to make arrangements. As T Doak writes - any of the top ten courses around Melbourne would be best in state over here (US).
To boot, I also made several friends who have invited me back as their guest next time I'm down under.
In the UK and Ireland there are only 2 or 3 courses we can't play using the same method. Half the best courses in the world are there.
And, wherever you go, you will never be asked to ride a cart unless you want to.

Good luck

LC

Rick

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »
I've got another thought! Rather than go to the U.S., come to Canada. Lot's of good courses that you can access on a reciprocal basis so long you belong to a club back home. The currency exchange will work in your favor as well.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 07:18:47 PM by Rick »

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 08:20:43 PM »
Ben:

The depth of courses in North America is quite vast; there is no need to be dissapointed if you cannot gain access to the exclusive clubs that headline a top 100 list.  There are many fine courses that you can access for reasonable fees if you keep an open mind.  Others have mentioned some so far.  You can concentrate on a couple of areas and get some very good public golf.  I second A Clayman's suggestion:  for every course on the top list, you can find a suitable substitute that you will enjoy (such as Bethpage Black for Winged Foot).  Some other locales, such as Cabo San Lucas, Canadian Rockies, and Casa de Campo, are not in Top 100 lists but are stunning venues worth seeking out.

Pete

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back