News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Wikipedia Golf Project
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
All,

I am considering the start of an article in the online, open-ended encyclopedia Wikipedia. Right now, there is a fairly comprehensive entry on golf itself, however, the architecture portion is bad, at best. I'd like to author a significantly more in-depth entry regarding architecture's history and influence on the game. Naturally, and contributions from contributors here would be welcome, as well as suggestions.

Here is the link to the current entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf#Golf_course_architecture_and_design

Kyle Harris

Re:Wikipedia Golf Project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 11:52:12 AM »
Bump for JES II

JESII

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 12:29:37 PM »
Thanks Kyle,

Took a quick look without getting a full understanding of its usefullness. In your opinion is that format the right one for compiling data from thousands of sources? I ask that assuming you spend some time there.

Jim

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 01:07:45 PM »
Yes, I feel it is perfect for multiple and even thousands of sources. The cross-referencing feature allows for links to other articles and sources.

From the main page: www.wikipedia.org one can search for a specific article, say "Golf Course Architecture" and get an article with cross-references ties to say, "CB MacDonald" or "Huntingdon Valley Country Club" if they are contained in the main article and have articles or "stubs" of their own.

A stub could be something like: "Huntingdon Valley Country Club is a club located in Abington, PA with three nine-hole golf courses designed by William Flynn. Each nine is labelled alphabetically and was designed to be progressively harder, with the B-C combination being the most difficult. The C-Nine was restored in 1999 after being abandoned for over 50 years."

In that stub, William Flynn can then by hyperlinked to a seperate article on Flynn, which could contain hyperlinks to similar stubs as the one with Huntingdon Valley for all his other courses, in addition to biographical information.

With a donation, I believe it is possible to take somewhat proprietary owneship over a set of articles, therefore, an administrator can be established to control the flow of data and access.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 01:10:31 PM by Kyle Harris »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 01:12:16 PM »
Here is an already existing stub for Oakmont: Note the cross-references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakmont_Country_Club
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 01:12:37 PM by Kyle Harris »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back