News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted_Sturges

Charleston, SC area golf
« on: July 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I just returned from a trip to the Charleston area and had time to visit Wild Dunes (Links) and the newly restored Yeamans Hall Club.  As the brothers Morrissett know, I am a big Raynor fan, but the contrast these 2 courses present is interesting to analyze.  One is on a fine piece of property, and is burdened with too many unnatural features which lose for the course the overall natural feel the property was begging for.  Except for a great finish, the course is underwhelming.  Can you guess which one I describe?The other course, which is written up quite well on this site, is a balanced golf course from start to finish.  Unlike the other course I mention, this one was laid out with the land dictating the routing and the features, with the cross bunkers dictating much of the strategy.  With the restoration to the greens, this one is an absolute ball to play, and one that should not be missed.  Care to guess which one I describe here?

Clark

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I assume Wild Dunes is the bad and Yeamans Hall the good.  I have not played either in quite some time (both pre-Hugo), but that is exactly how I remembered them.  The back at Wild Dunes was excellent, esp. 10-13 and 17-18, but the front just didn't do it.  Yeamans, though, is very good from the 1st to the 18th.  If anything, I understand that Yeamans is better after the recent work by Tom Doak.Have you played Secession?  I haven't, but it sounds like a neat, neat place.

Ted_Sturges

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Clark, you are correct.  And yes, the Doak re-do at Yeamans brings it to another level (clearly top 100 in the US).As for Secession, yes I have been there.  Your description of Secession as a "neat place" is on the mark.  Indeed, it is somehow a better "place" (clubhouse, club setting, walking only etc.) than it is a good golf course.  It has some good holes and some bad holes.  I'm not sure I would recommend going too far out of your way to play it, but if you're in Beufort, it's worth visiting.Yeamans, on the other hand, is worth going out of your way to see.  The greens as a set are as good as any golf course in the states.  A must see for Raynor fans!

Clark

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ted: Thanks for the report.  I do need to re-think my Charleston strategy -- since it opened I have gone every second or third year to play two rounds on the Ocean course at Kiawah Island, without even giving a thought to doing anything else.  I should branch out more -- it sounds like a revisit to YHC is well worth the time.  Also, I should actually see the town of Charleston itself one of these days -- it must be a winner.

Clark

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ted: Thanks for the report.  I do need to re-think my Charleston strategy -- since it opened I have gone every second or third year to play two rounds on the Ocean course at Kiawah Island, without even giving a thought to doing anything else.  I should branch out more -- it sounds like a revisit to YHC is well worth the time.  Also, I should actually see the town of Charleston itself one of these days -- it must be a winner.

Curious_George

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ted, why don't you tell us the best round you have ever seen played at Yeamans Hall? A hole by hole description is warranted.

Ted_Sturges

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
To "Curious George",All I will say is that the best round I ever saw played at Yeamans would have been an ugly 80-something had the guy who shot the good round not had a much needed lesson from a very knowlegable instructor prior to teeing off.

Ted_Sturges

Charleston, SC area golf
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the new Strantz course in the Charleston area.  Where is it?  What is it called?  When will it open?  Is it any good?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back