News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Carhu/Single-Malt Update
« on: December 30, 2003, 05:08:58 PM »
Today's Wall Street Journal (12-30-03) has an article about the state of the single-malt whisky business, which covers the situation at Carhu.  The article is on the bottom of the front page of the B-section ("Marketplace").

Consumption of single-malt was up 37% in the decade from 1992 to 2002 and production has not been able to keep pace.
It is not easy to "ramp up" production when your product must be aged 10 years before it can be sold. Anyone here in the U.S. looking to add a bottle or two to their single-malt inventory should think about doing it sooner rather than latter. Between increased demand and the pound up at $1.78, it is pretty obvious that prices certainly will not be going down any time soon.  

cary lichtenstein

Re:Carhu/Single-Malt Update
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 05:12:56 PM »
Looks like this website is turning into a wine and single malt scotch site.

Any info on great Margaritas?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 05:25:15 PM »
It is not easy to "ramp up" production when your product must be aged 10 years before it can be sold.

Tying this into Golf Course Architecture, the Single Malt Scotch industry (SMS) would be wise to increase production wisely (and slowly).  Let the supply side control the price (increase it) will help curb the demand and keep the distillaries profitable.  

Try not to follow the path of 2 other industries; cigars and CCFAD's ... both of these industries increased supply with inferior products, the demand (novelty) of the product wained (coupled with a downturn in the economy) and most manufacturers are now scrambling to remain in business.

Mike

Ps:  Quassi - have I got a 'rita receipe for you ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 06:47:33 PM »
Mike,
Surely you wouldn't dare to challenge the king of all Margs, El Cholo's Award Winning Margarita would you?

Buy here the award winning El Cholo Margarita Mix

My tip here Quassi is serve it on the rocks in a pint glass, with or without salt. I'm going there tonight for dinner to have one!

“There was a time when a state of mind could be defined or cured by a good martini. It was a benchmark for a good time, a good lunch, a good date, a great place....No more. Now, more often than not, in more places than most, that American measuring stick has given way to the new king: The Margarita. I don’t know where or when or even how this started. I just know it’s here.” --Robert Redford, Actor, Director, Film Producer and Loyal El Cholo customer

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 05:14:20 PM »
 "Mixed drinks are for poodle boys and virgins."  Unk
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 03:34:12 AM »
Who you callin' a poodle boy? >:(

allysmith

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 06:25:55 AM »
Lads Lads Lads

If you are going to comment on Scotlands other national drink PLEASE get it right.

Its CARDHU not Carhu.
Anyway its a moot point Glenfarclas 118 and The Macallan are the Daddys.

grandwazo

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 12:08:12 PM »
Best source for single malt in the US is a good friend of mine in NYC, Park Avenue Liquor.  On trips to Scotland and Ireland he was kind enough to arrange some very interesting tours of distilleries.

Check out

http://www.parkaveliquor.com/parkave/html/home.asp

I recommend them highly.

Jeff

grandwazo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »
My favorite bottle from his inventory.......
Category/Region: Speyside
Producer: Macallan
Description: Speyside
Price: $5,600.00
Size: 750ml
Vintage Year: 1946
Proof: 88.6
sku number: 20841
bin: back
Bottler: Distillery
Bottle Age, in Years: 56

Ramon T. Hernandez

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 01:18:33 PM »
jeff/grandwazo,

just looked in the cabinet and i am out. holiday rush and all i let things get away. i need to borrow a bottle and a cup of sugar, neighbor. mighty kind of ya. pay ya back next time i go to the grocery.

happy new year.

ps try the glenrothes, closest to macallan i have tasted (my gold standard too)

;D

Jack_Marr

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 04:45:00 AM »
The Cardhu "pure malt" is very good by all accounts. I'll certainly be picking up a bottle when I can. I don't know how it's priced compared to the single malt.

Glen Grant built a second distillery beside the site of their first one as the demand was so high. They replicated everything in the new plant, yet the whisky was much different. The eventually closed Glen Grant 2 (I think). It would be amazing if Cardhu could replicate the single malt with the pure malt, but as long as the result is good...

Lagavulin is a good example of the difficulties of inventory management. There supply of 16 is down to a trickle at the moment and it's selling for way over the odds. Still worth it if you can get it though.
John Marr(inan)

Emil_Miller

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 09:30:19 AM »
My favorite is Highland Park 12 YO. Certainly not the most expensive, but a light, clean scotch with just a touch of sweet finish. It's the northernmost Scotch distillery in the world, located in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands.

For those of you into unblended, cask strength (120 proof or so) Scotch, try the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society of America (smwsa.com). They visit distilleries all over Scotland, buying a cask of their best product (300 bottles/cask) and make it available to members. Additionally, their headquarters are in Leith (near Edinbourough) and you can visit when in Scotland. It includes a club, bar and flats for members.

The SMWSA also hosts tastings around the country from time to time to introduce new and different Scotch's to the membership.

Emil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back