News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnVDB

Re: Helene Golf Course Damage
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2024, 02:52:01 PM »
My girlfriend’s daughter lives in Spruce Pine (you might have seen stories about it as it is source of the purest quartz for semiconductor production ). They had over 24 inches of rain.  The devastation up there is incredible. Fortunately the damage to her house was limited to one tree crushed the balcony and minor roof damage. They’ve been able to get generators to get some electricity for the house and their well.  They’ve heard it may be a month or more to get electricity back up.

The quarries up there also produce the white quartz “sand” used in the bunkers at Augusta and many other courses.

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 12:11:48 AM »
My father-in-law lived for some years at Little Switzerland just above Spruce Pine. Did not seem like a potential flood area.

I understand Mountain Park of the Cliffs group was damaged .

Carl Johnson

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 12:08:52 PM »
My girlfriend’s daughter lives in Spruce Pine (you might have seen stories about it as it is source of the purest quartz for semiconductor production ). They had over 24 inches of rain.  The devastation up there is incredible. Fortunately the damage to her house was limited to one tree crushed the balcony and minor roof damage. They’ve been able to get generators to get some electricity for the house and their well.  They’ve heard it may be a month or more to get electricity back up.

The quarries up there also produce the white quartz “sand” used in the bunkers at Augusta and many other courses.

We're getting a little off topic, but what the heck.  The Spruce Pine quartz mines, one in particular, are the source of the quartz used to make the quartz crucibles in which the chips are made. I used to think their quartz was used in the chips themselves, which is not so, but without the crucibles, no chips, and this is the major source world-wide.  The "sand" is made from waste quartz I'd assume.  I'd like to get up there from Charlotte in a week or so to check my second home at the Mt. Mitchell Golf Course, but as of now the shortest route is dead (bridge damage of some sort) until next year, and the next best route, through Spruce Pine, appears to be closed too.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 02:38:36 PM »
Folks in the areas affected by Helene should be aware of the newly formed tropical storm (and soon-to-be hurricane) Milton: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/150217.shtml?cone#contents
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 03:26:06 PM »
Folks in the areas affected by Helene should be aware of the newly formed tropical storm (and soon-to-be hurricane) Milton: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/150217.shtml?cone#contents

Yup, I was planning on starting my drive to Naples/Marco area on Tuesday morning. Looks like that plan is changing. If this continues on the path shown I'm going to be in the middle of another one.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Cronan

« Reply #31 on: Today at 08:27:27 AM »

It’s simply brutal. A temperature reading of the water in the Gulf yesterday revealed it was 91 degrees.

We’re bracing for another catastrophe.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:05:31 PM »
Good luck David!
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back