News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

One of many interesting sentences from an interesting piece …… “The greens weren’t greens at all, they were just fairways that had been cut shorter.”
Plenty of other interesting comments herein - https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/club/greenkeeping/ken-brown-greenkeeping-memories/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nationalclubgolfer
Well worth a read.
Atb
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 05:20:57 AM by Thomas Dai »

Charlie Goerges

One of many interesting sentences from an interesting piece …… “The greens weren’t greens at all, they were just fairways that had been cut shorter.”
Plenty of other interesting comments herein - https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/club/greenkeeping/ken-brown-greenkeeping-memories/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nationalclubgolfer
Well worth a read.
Atb

I had to skim the article a bit, but he talked about cutting costs, which will probably be a good thing, but his example below:

We can’t go on with glamorous golf because it’s unaffordable. So, from a design point of view, you have to make a challenge out of a hole without plastering bunkers everywhere.

...leaves me with questions. Is he saying not having bunkers everywhere because they must be maintained at a high level? Not sure I would agree with that. I'd be fine with a lot of bunkers maintained to a lower standard, if that's what was intended. No need to eliminate bunkers...before or after the fact. They are hazards after all.

I'm curious what is the bigger issue (cost-wise and/or labor-wise) for maintenance: pristine turf conditions everywhere or having a lot of bunkers?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back