News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

Uninspired Munis with Macdonald/Raynor style potential?
« on: September 27, 2024, 08:07:33 PM »
I'm curious about how many heavily-played munis on average pieces of land have the potential to be transformed into a dynamic Macdonald/Raynor style course with the right budget and creative commitment. Recent playing of Lido and Arcadia South got me thinking about this.

To take the idea out of the theoretical... for any of you that have played Raymond Memorial in Columbus, Ohio - it's a perfectly solid municipal course that gets a ton of play. The land itself is completely ordinary, and while the golf matches the greens fee, the bones of a great course do exist there with the right design and attention to detail.

I've also felt that Columbus is in great need of "better" public golf options - in terms of design and architectural merit. With city ownership it's of course highly unlikely a transformation like this could ever occur. But it seems to me that every golf-crazed city has a solid muni or two with potential to be transformed into something unique that would serve as counter-programming to everything else in the area.

Mike Worth

Re: Uninspired Munis with Macdonald/Raynor style potential?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2024, 09:38:58 PM »
I don’t know the answer to your question about how many additional public courses could be turned into what you describe

I do, however, know that one exists already – – Charleston Municipal. I managed to play 9 holes walking yesterday during the short time when it wasn’t raining.

The renovation occurred during the pandemic. My understanding from speaking with club staff yesterday is they kept the same routing, but the renovation added bunkers and McDonald/Raynor template greens.

I will add the course played very firm and fast, even with a hurricane approaching

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:45:03 AM »
What’s the part that would work? The focus on a few highly meaningful and simply shaped bunkers without the need for giant earthworks?

Joe Zucker

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:27:15 PM »
I assume Mount Prospect outside Chicago would be the template for this.  Redone about 10 years ago with the Raynor style and it is an excellent muni worth a visit if you're in the area.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:01:23 PM »
Uninspired Munis with Macdonald/Raynor style potential?
I'm curious about how many heavily-played munis on average pieces of land have the potential to be transformed into a dynamic Macdonald/Raynor style course with the right budget and creative commitment.
Recent playing of Lido and Arcadia South...
From the two courses you list, all I can think of is sand. Lots and lots of sand. Sand as far as the eye can see. As far as I understand, sand makes great golf become great, cheap, maintenance-friendly golf.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back