News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Rossi

Re: Your top "underrated"
« Reply #50 on: Today at 12:28:18 PM »
Pine Hills CC in Sheboygan, WI.   To me it’s a top 3 course in golf rich state.  If we’re using magazine rankings as the standard for what’s over-rated, then this is hands down a grossly under-rated course.

Also - I appreciate all the love for my home club (Blue Mound), which is also under-rated, although it’s hard to say anything by Raynor is under rated these days, but again if we’re using the magazine rankings then it qualifies.
Instagram: @putt4dough24

Jeff Schley

« Reply #51 on: Today at 12:58:50 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I always enjoy hearing about places folks have played that may not be in the Top 100 but hold a special place in your personal rankings.

For me, three come to mind:

• Blue Mound - hard to find many places where the architect has done more with less. Just pure fun, playable, and masterful Raynor on an otherwise rather bland piece of property.
  • Brookside (Canton, OH) - Had the pleasure of playing this summer, so maybe some recency bias here. I was floored by the green complexes and incredible elevation changes. The property could use some more tree removal, but I wouldn't get tired of playing this place on a regular basis.
  • Culver Academy - if this place had a locker room with good shower pressure (or whatever else helps rankings) and 9 even mediocre holes, I firmly believe this would be a top 100 contender. I've been lucky enough to play here quite a few times as it's less than an hour from me and absolutely love it every time. The super (Mike Vessley) does an oustanding job and posts incredible pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Will, Darryl, Jeff,
       Thanks for the kind words regarding BMGCC. As you may know we are completing our restoration as we speak. Bruce Hepner has done a terrific job along with our world class Supt Alex. 2025 will be a very special year as the completely restored course is revealed. It's no longer a hidden gem......

Yes love Blue Mound, however I’ll differ from Will in that I think the land is quite notable. You have some uphill/downhill shots. To me another wonderful aspect, while not overly long, it has some brutal long par 4’s. I can’t recall which one on the back goes uphill like 450 or something and that day into a wind.

So yes any Raynor that is living right now is probably notable, but I have Blue Mound a solid 8.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Brent Carlson

« Reply #52 on: Today at 01:35:10 PM »
Chambers Bay and The Addington

Bill Crane

« Reply #53 on: Today at 01:57:12 PM »
Folks:   In New Jersey - I would include ~

Essex County -   very underrated - extremely good back nine.  Have to go see it again since work has been done on it.
Manasquan River - very diverse set of holes and topography - despite Mike Cirba's comments about this course on this forum.

Others:    Hearing super comments about restoration at North Jersey CC.    Morris County is probably a good call, noted by someone earlier.     Hollywood is awesome - per Mr Rudolfsky's comment.   At 49 Classic at Golfweek, not sure it is greatly underrated any longer.

New Jersey - look before you laugh !!

ALSO ~   Having played over 40 rounds at CHECHESSEE CREEK CLUB, I am convinced it is underrated.   Many folks play once and just don't get the full effect of the thoughtful layout and greens.   Always a bit more going than it appears - the angles and features are so well designed.    This is an indictment of ratings in general since it takes many rounds to reveal the true interest and challenge of an extremely well designed layout - especially if some aspects are subtle.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #54 on: Today at 02:40:17 PM »
My weak memory dredged up how good a course I remember Blackwolf Run River being. It probably would be way too difficult for me 30 years later. But good players would fight it strategic, beautiful, varied, and challenging. To this day, number 5 is one of my favorite holes.

Will Thrasher

« Reply #55 on: Today at 03:10:04 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I always enjoy hearing about places folks have played that may not be in the Top 100 but hold a special place in your personal rankings.

For me, three come to mind:

• Blue Mound - hard to find many places where the architect has done more with less. Just pure fun, playable, and masterful Raynor on an otherwise rather bland piece of property.
  • Brookside (Canton, OH) - Had the pleasure of playing this summer, so maybe some recency bias here. I was floored by the green complexes and incredible elevation changes. The property could use some more tree removal, but I wouldn't get tired of playing this place on a regular basis.
  • Culver Academy - if this place had a locker room with good shower pressure (or whatever else helps rankings) and 9 even mediocre holes, I firmly believe this would be a top 100 contender. I've been lucky enough to play here quite a few times as it's less than an hour from me and absolutely love it every time. The super (Mike Vessley) does an oustanding job and posts incredible pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Will, Darryl, Jeff,
       Thanks for the kind words regarding BMGCC. As you may know we are completing our restoration as we speak. Bruce Hepner has done a terrific job along with our world class Supt Alex. 2025 will be a very special year as the completely restored course is revealed. It's no longer a hidden gem......

Yes love Blue Mound, however I’ll differ from Will in that I think the land is quite notable. You have some uphill/downhill shots. To me another wonderful aspect, while not overly long, it has some brutal long par 4’s. I can’t recall which one on the back goes uphill like 450 or something and that day into a wind.

So yes any Raynor that is living right now is probably notable, but I have Blue Mound a solid 8.

Fair point and don't necessarily disagree with that at all. I think it's less dramatic than other Raynors (or McRaynors) in comparison, and that's not a knock whatsoever. More of the opposite, with how much variety/fun shots the course has on comparatively bland property. I can't think of many places where I've had more fun.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back