News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Turf Type Tall Fescue
« on: June 15, 2024, 03:36:12 PM »
We have Turf Type Tall Fescue around our greens where bunkers were either removed or renovated. In fairly high traffic areas it’s pocked and growing sideways. We’re not really sure why this is happening. Any one have any experience with this grass in the northeast?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Cal Carlisle

Re: Turf Type Tall Fescue
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 04:01:44 PM »
How hight traffic is "high traffic"? It's a bunch-type grass so depending on the traffic it could just be a function of compaction. It's a pretty resilient grass. What's the height of cut?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 05:43:48 PM »
How hight traffic is "high traffic"? It's a bunch-type grass so depending on the traffic it could just be a function of compaction. It's a pretty resilient grass. What's the height of cut?

I would say 3”

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 03:51:57 PM »
Bumping this. Any maintenance tips for this grass would be greatly appreciated!

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 06:11:36 PM »
I think there used to be a selective herbicide for Tall Fescue called chlorosulfuron but the google machine tells me that may be illegal now?

Seems best practice may be non-selective herbicide kill and then cut it out and sow or sod the repaired areas with more desirable non-sideways(?) plants.

Or just cultivate it and be cool with some sideways blades.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 06:15:11 PM by Ben Sims »

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 06:33:33 PM »
TTTF is a great turf for roughs but when its beat on it can look like you describe. Generally it needs some aeration, fert and a rest from the traffic and it grows out (although its not an overnight thing). Personally, I'd take it any day over Kentucky bluegrass as it has better drought resistance and generally is harder wearing.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back