News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Bulging convex irons? Why not just bring back concave wedges for more spin too?
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: OT – what do folks think of the approval of Bryson’s clubs?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 05:33:28 PM »
Not sure why you're asking: hybrids, woods, and drivers have bulge and roll. Concave ≠ convex.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 06:34:28 PM »
The rules are there and the people who enforce them are not going to approve something that isn’t allowed.  If there is something that they don’t like, they may change the rules at the next revision, but for now they are certainly legal.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 08:22:11 PM »
On a related note, just read this about Bryson:

"He said he struggled with controlling his speed on the greens, contributing that to not being able to use his Foresight launch monitor on the practice green this week. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bryson-dechambeau-now-a-masters-chaser-after-horrific-break-at-15/ar-BB1lzLmg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d0dfe987ff384cb08e0cd8bdcf554ed6&ei=16

I thought aids were allowed in practice areas?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 09:40:52 PM »
On a related note, just read this about Bryson:

"He said he struggled with controlling his speed on the greens, contributing that to not being able to use his Foresight launch monitor on the practice green this week. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bryson-dechambeau-now-a-masters-chaser-after-horrific-break-at-15/ar-BB1lzLmg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d0dfe987ff384cb08e0cd8bdcf554ed6&ei=16

I thought aids were allowed in practice areas?
He has a unique approach for sure.  Talent for sure and when he puts well typically scores in majors.  I don't know how iron stats compared to say scheffler or McElroy, but with how one length irons he is longer I would assume.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 01:37:32 AM »
Bulging convex irons? Why not just bring back concave wedges for more spin too?

The rationale behind banning those was that there could be multiple impacts on the face if it was concave.  With a convex face, like that of a wood, that isn't an issue. 

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 02:37:40 AM »
With all that's happened since to make the game easier it's comical to look back at the massive fuss everyone made over an infinitesimal measurement on the mid-1980s Ping Eye 2 irons.

Looking back it was the beginning of the equipment problem. The administration burned by the case let manufacturers expand drivers to  a ridiculous size- one consequence being the elimination of both the duck-hook and the fear of the duck hook.

Simon Barrington

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 04:38:21 AM »
With all that's happened since to make the game easier it's comical to look back at the massive fuss everyone made over an infinitesimal measurement on the mid-1980s Ping Eye 2 irons.

Looking back it was the beginning of the equipment problem. The administration burned by the case let manufacturers expand drivers to  a ridiculous size- one consequence being the elimination of both the duck-hook and the fear of the duck hook.
Absolutely, and at the end of the tortuous legal case it was more than ironic that the only company able at that time to resolve the situation from an engineering angle to adjust clubs already sold, were PING themselves.
I still have my laminated credit card sized certificate for the conforming adjustment of my Eye 2 grooves on my 1-iron!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:00:21 AM by Simon Barrington »

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 05:01:06 AM »

Personally I was too pre-occupied with trying to control my wild slice to worry about a duck hook.

Niall

ps. I still play with Ping Eye 2's

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 05:31:18 AM »

Personally I was too pre-occupied with trying to control my wild slice to worry about a duck hook.

Niall

ps. I still play with Ping Eye 2's

Better go to Gainsborough to get your Ping Eye 2's fitted properly! I liked the Beryllium Copper version of the Ping Eye 2s but opted for the Lynx Parallax irons of the early 1990s which were great clubs!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 09:40:54 AM »

Interesting, I must have a defective driver. I still can hit a duck-hook........
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 12:17:08 PM »
"The Science Behind Bryson's Irons" (22-minute video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8H-1L5Zvo

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 07:44:40 PM »
No problem with it.  I do have a hard time wrapping my head around the numbers on iron lofts. I read that Bryson's 5 iron has a loft of 17 degrees. Back in the 60s and 70s that was a one iron.  Trevino should rethink hoisting it up in a thunderstorm if a mortal can hit it, certainly God would be able to do so.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 08:01:47 PM »
No problem with it.  I do have a hard time wrapping my head around the numbers on iron lofts. I read that Bryson's 5 iron has a loft of 17 degrees. Back in the 60s and 70s that was a one iron.  Trevino should rethink hoisting it up in a thunderstorm if a mortal can hit it, certainly God would be able to do so.

Claude Harmon told me a few years ago that when old-timer players would come to watch Dustin Johnson or Brooks Koepka practice, they were bewildered at first, because they couldn't see where the ball was going.  He would have to point to the sky and mouth "higher" to clue them in!  With today's swing speeds, a 17-degree loft goes a lot higher than it used to.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 08:39:26 PM »
He's a new guy, I love him

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

archie_struthers

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2024, 02:08:34 PM »
 ;D

When those eye-2 irons came out I immediately put the 1-5 in my bag and got rid of my gorgeous Wilson Staff forged blades that corresponded. Kept the 6-9 irons > course my bag was now looking like a grab bag from hell.  There were the ping irons mixed with Staff 6-9 and two Cleveland wedges
A driver of course (beautiful persimmon MacGregor Eye o Matic and a really neat Cobra Baffler three wood (with the rails) Ping Anser but of course

Man o man thought I was way ahead of the curve ! 8)

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2024, 02:31:29 PM »
;D

When those eye-2 irons came out I immediately put the 1-5 in my bag and got rid of my gorgeous Wilson Staff forged blades that corresponded. Kept the 6-9 irons > course my bag was now looking like a grab bag from hell.  There were the ping irons mixed with Staff 6-9 and two Cleveland wedges
A driver of course (beautiful persimmon MacGregor Eye o Matic and a really neat Cobra Baffler three wood (with the rails) Ping Anser but of course

Archie-I remember the switch from blades to Ping Eye 2+ irons fondly. I played them forever and the only reason I ditched them was because I couldn’t swing stiff shafts any longer. That was a common setup where guys used Pings for the long irons and forged for the scoring clubs. I’ve been a lifelong devotee of the Ping brand and of the twelve clubs I carry only two hybrids are not Pings.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 02:34:16 PM by Tim Martin »

Ken Moum

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2024, 03:44:46 PM »

I have a set of PXG 0211 irons, and a set of 1980s Haig Ultra blades, and there is an almost perfect two-club difference in loft.  The 6 and 8 irons are identical @ 32*  and the 3 and 5 irons a 20* and 21*.  They're closer at the bottom, The PXG G wedge is 48 and the Haig P wedge is 50

As a result, I currently only carry the 8,9, W, G, and 52*, 54* and 59*.

I can't imagine how Bryson manages wedges that are both strong, and way overlength.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

DFarron

Re: OT – what do folks think of the approval of Bryson’s clubs? New
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2024, 05:26:55 PM »
;D

In the '80's that was common in a lot of pro's bags (tour and club).

A lot of the pros in the late 80’s and early 90’s had that set up.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 07:11:17 AM by DFarron »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back