News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

George Wright Muni
« on: June 06, 2024, 01:24:01 PM »
Played this gem yesterday.
Wow. Holy terrain-a real shot shaping driving and approach test.
This is not a great muni.
It's a great course.
Shades of The Country Club, Myopia, Whippoorwill,Fishers, Wykagly and frankly a lot of its own unique character to the tumbling fairways.

Further proof that we're doing it wrong, with a $500,000 budget on a $55(non resident)course booked solid 6 AM-7:30 PM every single day.
the funny thing about $500,000 budgets, you get grass to hit and pitch off of, and interesting hanging lies are encountered rather than your ball finding friction in a depression, divot or the rough(rolling out of the fairway)
Also, you get to see interesting greens, using interesting pin placements, rather than putting the pins in the flattest(and same) places on other pimped up speed tests.

The tee shots at GW were wildly varied with ups, downs, varied terrain, doglegs suggested by both terrain and vegetation, and multiple blind tee shots that were surprisingly intuitive and fascinating to figure out and execute.
The combination of tee shots and sloping/tilted terrain, coupled with actual grass to keep the ball on the slope, made for some of the most interesting tee shots and approaches I've played in a long time.
For context, I played Fishers the day before, which has many of the same great qualities, so the bar was pretty high for trip.
Shennecossett, one of my favorite courses and places, was the third course of the trip.

Bethpage Black isn't even in the same conversation as GW with its ordinary, demanding rinse and repeat diet of narrow driving setups and flat greens.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 02:31:33 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Gavrich

Re: George Wright Muni
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 01:43:17 PM »
Jeff, have you been to Keney Park in Hartford yet, by chance? I haven't been to GW but having heard how great it is from your post and others I'd be curious to see how it is thought of relative to KP by people who have played both.

Courses like GW show that GCA is truly disruptive because great architecture and cost to play or maintain a golf course aren't nearly as directly linked as people have assumed for years. Love to see it.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 02:14:46 PM »
I've played both GW and Keney many times. GW has more interesting terrain, in my opinion. Having said that, I'd be happy to play Keney every day ... the restoration is outstanding. But if GW was a private course with reduced play and a higher maintenance budget, it would be in the conversation of best courses in New England. Given the amount of traffic that place gets, it's amazing there is any grass at all. GW is the best muni I've ever played, and it isn't close (I have not played Bethpage or Torrey).

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 02:16:32 PM »
Love George Wright!
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 02:18:35 PM »
I've played both GW and Keney many times. GW has more interesting terrain, in my opinion. Having said that, I'd be happy to play Keney every day ... the restoration is outstanding. But if GW was a private course with reduced play and a higher maintenance budget, it would be in the conversation of best courses in New England. Given the amount of traffic that place gets, it's amazing there is any grass at all. GW is the best muni I've ever played, and it isn't close (I have not played Bethpage or Torrey).

I'd argue more in the budget would make it worse.(unless they just wanted to direct it to the talented Super who makes a lot with a little)
There'd be no fairway grass to hold ball on slopes or pitch off of.(due to lower HOC)
It would be end of interesting pins.(due to higher stimp mandated by a higher budget)
Then the tree police would come in, followed by "what "native" grass do we plant that's attractive and playable with just the right amount of maintenance/no maintenance"...lol.

To make matters worse, then there'd be a $20 million renovation to make the  greens "fair" and "get rid of the goat hill sidehill lies" that the(new) fast turf(generated by the big budget) would have caused  the ball to run into divots and rough.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 02:30:15 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 02:21:30 PM »
I went to the golf reddit and ask them for the most interesting municipal courses to add to the wiki, and their clear answer was George Wright.  I haven't played the course, but I've mapped and annotated it with course notes on the site. Obviously anyone can leave their own notes for others to benefit from: George Wright GC, Hyde Park, MA
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 03:40:59 PM »

Dan-I agree that GW has more interesting terrain but the set of greens at Keney Park wins the day. I love both courses so it’s not a slight.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 03:57:03 PM »
Tim, do you feel like Keney gets cramped in spots? There are a couple of places where the holes feel very much wedged in to me. On a crowded day, you need to keep your head on a swivel or you're going to get sniped. That's my biggest complaint about Keney, even though I love it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 04:21:27 PM »
Tim, do you feel like Keney gets cramped in spots? There are a couple of places where the holes feel very much wedged in to me. On a crowded day, you need to keep your head on a swivel or you're going to get sniped. That's my biggest complaint about Keney, even though I love it.

Dan-I think it has more to do with greens being close to tees versus holes wedged in. That said there are some parallel holes on both sides so I see where you are coming from.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 06:32:45 PM »
The New England Donald Ross triumvirate of GW, Triggs, Shennecosett is hard to beat.  All 3 are excellent.  I would probably rank them GW, Shenny, Triggs.  But that is arbitrary as all 3 are tremendous values and golf courses. The highest compliment I can pay to GW is that the terrain is the biggest ' hazard' on the course, not bunkers or water. BTW have played Keney a couple of times.  Love the front but the back is not as strong to me...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 06:38:48 PM by Cliff Hamm »

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 06:37:19 PM »
The New England Donald Ross triumverate of GW, Triggs, Shennecosett is hard to beat.  All 3 are excellent.  I would probably rank them GW, Shenny, Triggs.  But that is arbitrary as all 3 are tremendous values and golf courses.  BTW have played Keney a couple of times.  Love the front but the back is not as strong to me...

Couldn't get a tee time at Triggs so had to sub in Fishers... ;D
Just kidding

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 06:45:07 PM »
But what is the better value😎

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 07:19:29 PM »
But what is the better value😎

Lol.
Speaking of value, I booked GW online, gave a CC,then we showed up and they wouldn't let us pay.(noticed we all had on same shirt logos and asked if we worked in golf)
Pretty sure we made it up in bar sales....
Could not have been treated nicer-quite a bit different experience than a NY State muni.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2024, 07:47:04 PM »
The New England Donald Ross triumvirate of GW, Triggs, Shennecosett is hard to beat.  All 3 are excellent.  I would probably rank them GW, Shenny, Triggs.  But that is arbitrary as all 3 are tremendous values and golf courses. The highest compliment I can pay to GW is that the terrain is the biggest ' hazard' on the course, not bunkers or water. BTW have played Keney a couple of times.  Love the front but the back is not as strong to me...

Cliff-I can’t think of many courses that tip out at 6000 yards which are more fun than Franklin Park. Ross hit two home runs in Boston.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2024, 08:22:23 PM »
Never played Franklin Park. Assume it is worth it?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2024, 09:11:26 PM »
I would be happy to play either Keney or GW everyday. Great courses for sure!
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2024, 09:26:24 PM »

Cliff-Check it out. I would be interested in what you thought and am confident you will be a fan.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2024, 10:14:53 AM »

It's been a while but it's OK. I like GW much better between the two.
H.P.S.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2024, 01:23:16 PM »
George Wright is a fantastic course and exceptional value.  Fantastic movement in the land, and the course is draped over it very nicely.

Tyler

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back