News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

NC 500 Golf Tour (#1, Wick GC)
« on: May 27, 2024, 02:56:00 PM »
After our first week in Dornoch, with the 3-day bank holiday weekend coming on, we decided to take a little roadtrip. As we had never played golf north of Brora before (despite well over 35 visits to the Highlands), Saturday morning we headed north up the A9 to Wick GC.

https://www.wickgolfclub.org.uk/

The club is located a few miles north of the town. It is an out and back routing that runs parallel to the sea and is separated from the water by one of the longest, steepest, tallest dune-ridges I have ever seen. Although it is interrupted in a few spots, the dune-ridge is at least 2 miles long.

The front 9 heads north and is the furthest inland. It is relatively flat. The turf is more meadow-ish than links-like. The tee boxes are built up a foot or two, but most of the greens are at fairway level. The 5th hole is a 400+ yard par-4 with a burn crossing the fairway about 250 yards out. The burn turns to guard the left side and back of the green. The 9th is angled east towards the water and is an uphill par-3. To me those were the 2 best holes on the front 9.

The back 9 heads south and is closer to the dune-ridge. The turf is much more links-like and the holes have more character. The stretch from 13 in is really pretty good. The 13th green has a swale running thru it. The par-3 14th is played to an elevated green.

The elevated tee boxes on both 17 & 18 are set into areas where the dune-ridge is not as high. You can see the water easily from them. #17 is a nice "Cape" hole.

The problem is most of the dune-ridge is so steep and tall that, aside from the tee boxes in 17 & 18, it does not offer any real opportunities to be incorporated into the course.       

The other problem is the course suffer from a sizable rabbit infestation. There are rabbit scrapes and burrows everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:33:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Pierre_C

Re: NC 500 Golf Tour (#1, Wick GC)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 03:41:59 PM »
Thank you for the review David. Wick looks interesting, I'll definitely need to head up there on my next trip to Dornoch. Hope you enjoy your time in Dornoch.

Here is a brief video with an overview of the course -  https://youtu.be/1lxDJxpKgWM?si=eA6EW1iIvpZm8291

This is a link to a video of fly over of all the holes at Wick - https://www.wickgolfclub.org.uk/the-course/hole-by-hole/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:22:12 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 03:49:29 PM »
(correction made!)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:27:39 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 04:12:46 PM »
I've played it twice.  The first time with hickories and aided by a considerable breeze.
As I recall the course turns at the ninth with an uphill par 3 that plays perpendicular to 8 and 10.  Upon turning I discovered the course was more uphill than I suspected and the breeze was stronger than I had admitted on the way out.  (I thought I was hitting the ball really well!)

I've heard people refer to it as a muddy or boggy, but I didn't find much wrong with the turf on the two occasions I played.  My last round was pre-Covid, and I didn't either rabbits or the evidence of them.  However, rabbits being rabbits I'm presuming the occasional rabbit could become an infestation rather quickly.

I'm glad you're venturing northwards David.  I would recommend both Durness and Reay. I've enjoyed both of them.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Pierre_C

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 04:21:24 PM »

Mistake... autocorrect..

Pierre -
Thanks for the link to the video.
Why do you refer to it as Warwick? The name of the town and the club/course is Wick.
DT
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 04:31:53 PM »
Steve -

As noted in my post, #9 does play east (perpendicular) to #8 & #10, which play north/south.

Yes, Reay and Durness were played (and enjoyed :) ) this weekend. They are #2 and #3. Comments to follow.

When are you coming over this year?

DT
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:34:05 PM by David_Tepper »

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 07:42:03 PM »
Wick is great. Well worth the drive north. I was amazed there was no real buzz about the course. Nice little road trip from Dornach. So glad I took the time.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 09:26:35 AM »
I arrive July 8 and will be in or around Golspie until Sept 28th.  Leaving the 29th to fly home the 30th.  I presume you will be back sometime in August/September.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2024, 09:36:50 AM »
Steve -

Yes, if all goes well we should be back in late August/early September for 3 weeks or so.

Will look forward to seeing you then.

DT

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 11:32:25 AM »
Hope you dropped by Dunnet Bay Distillers and grabbed some Rock Rose Gin!

Hopefully you’re planning on playing the 9-holes Lochcarron Golf Club on the way home from Applecross.  I didn’t stop but it looks like quick fun.

DRIVE SAFELY! 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 12:10:30 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve Wilson

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 05:34:53 PM »
Lochcarron is fun.  We also stopped there on our way either on the way to or returning from Applecross.  I think I walked it with five clubs in under an hour.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that if they will punch holes in the ground I will play it at least once.   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 08:29:28 PM »
David, I get around some but have no idea what NC 500 Golf Tour[/color]NC 500 Golf Tour. Maybe all of us need to be better at explaining.[/size][/color]
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2024, 02:26:12 AM »
Tommy W. -

NC 500 stands for the North Coast 500, a campaign created a few years ago to promote tourism in the Scottish Highlands. If you start & finish in Inverness, the journey driving the perimeter of the Highlands is a little over 500 miles. So far the campaign has been quite successful.

https://www.northcoast500.com/

DT
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 02:29:09 AM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2024, 02:26:57 AM »
deleted

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2024, 03:13:07 PM »
Enjoying these threads thanks David. They are very much on my radar, but sadly not this year.

So I'm going to miss you two again.

Will be in Brora 25th/26th/27th June. Anyone around?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back