News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

NC Golf Tour (#3 Durness GC)
« on: May 29, 2024, 05:33:18 PM »
On Monday morning we drove to Durness GC. I am not quite sure what I was expecting and I am not quite sure what we saw there. I am sure of the following:

1) The scenery on the drive there approaching from the east is stunning. The scenery on the drive from there heading west from Durness is spectacular.
2) The condition of the course was far better than I was expecting.
3) The green sites and the green surfaces/slopes/contours were surprisingly good for a course built by three amateurs in 1988.

The course itself is pretty wild, with several steep climbs and aiming poles over the 9 holes. We only went around the course once, but it looked like the tee boxes for playing the 9 holes a second time created a different experience on a number of the holes.

The couple who run the club were very helpful. I can't say I am in a hurry to return, but I am very glad to have gone there and played it once.     
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 05:44:10 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve Wilson

Re: NC Golf Tour (#3 Durness GC)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 05:59:12 PM »
David,
Your reaction to Durness is much like mine.  Glad to have done it, glad I got a blindingly white golf shirt with the puffin logo on it, but I'm not likely to seek out again. 

I played with a former member, John Avison, and my introduction to the course was when the brake on his cart failed on the first fairway and John had to chase it several yards as it was making its merry way back towards the golf shop.

Later on in the round I holed out a seventy five yard wedge because it hit the flagstick on one hop and dropped straight down into the hole.  I believe that was on the par five 6th.  John was not best pleased.

We try to make the drive to Durness at least once each time we are over because it is spectacular and the beach is Durness is popular with holiday makers.

Also, I believe John Lennon's aunt who had a great deal to do with raising him is buried in the cemetery you pass just before reaching the golf course. 

Durness could be described like my home state of West Virginia, "Wild and Wonderful."

I glad you guys have widened your golfing circle even if you don't return to them, all of these courses are worth the trip.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 06:51:08 AM »
Lennon spent a fair bit of time in Durness with Mimi’s sister, Elizabeth and family. There’s a memorial garden to him in the village too.
Peace,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 07:32:53 AM »
Twenty years ago Mike Keiser stopped in Durness and became fascinated with the idea of building a low-budget course in the big dunes beyond the existing course.  Bill Coore went over to look at it but told him there was no way to do it on a shoestring, that it would not be that easy to stabilize the dunes.  I’ve always wanted to see if I agreed with that, but I’ve still yet to get up there.

Pierre_C

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 09:38:28 AM »
David,

Thank you for the comments on Durness GC. Always in suspense to see where you are playing golf in Scotland and your comments.

Drone video of Durness GC. Audio is not great.. https://youtu.be/PcsktvRmbgA?si=XG0ZO_PXAf-u-TAv
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back