News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gholz

Alison's Timber Point damage?
« on: January 14, 2024, 11:23:45 AM »
To All:
On the ABC national news Tuesday or Wednesday they showed the coastline near Babylon on Long Island.  Houses destroyed and areas underwater etc.  I looked at mu GE map and saw how close, to my eye, that Alison's Timber Point was located.  I have no knowledge of tides and ocean flow etc, but I wondered if the famous Volcano Hole which is right on the POINT of TP has been damaged.
Does anyone have on-site knowledge of this?
By the way, I do understand that the 18-hole course Alison designed has been rearranged into 27 holes, but I still call it Alison because more than 9 playing corridors of his original 18 are still there.

Thanks in advance.Anthony

Cal Seifert

Re: Alison's Timber Point damage?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 12:43:31 PM »
I'm sure the course is mostly underwater since that area of LI had bad flooding this week and most of the blue course sits basically at sea level. Although, I doubt much damage occurred on the Gibraltar hole as that green is very elevated.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 12:55:35 PM »
Usually it's the 6th and 7th holes at Timber Point Blue that absorb the brunt of these storms and the flooding that follows.  Gibraltar is #5 and sits up high above the adjacent fairways.  Timber Point's Blue nine (the bayfront nine) was out of commission for a while after Hurricane Irene in 2011, followed up by Sandy in 2012, and I'm pretty sure they've done some work since then to mitigate some level of storm damage.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 10:44:11 AM »
Cal/Phil:  Thanks so much.  You give me hope.  If someone gets boots on the ground please comment.  And yes Gibraltar.  I should have re-read my own book:)
Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back