News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Kurth

Mapleton Golf Club - Sioux Falls, SD
« on: April 06, 2023, 09:48:47 AM »
The news of the proposed Mapleton Golf Club in Sioux Falls, SD is now public.  The architect for the golf only club is Scott Hoffman, that designed the recently opened Lost Rail Golf Club near Omaha, NE.  You'll note in the article below that one of the key players in the project is Danny Amundson, son of the late Mark Amundson.  Mark was frequent contributor to this discussion board and was gracious to host several of us to the opening day of the 2005 golf season at the original Sutton Bay course.  I remember the temps were in the low 40s and there snow flurries, but we had a great time on a course that is now no more.

The following is a news story on the project:

https://www.siouxfalls.business/new-private-golf-club-planned-on-edge-of-sioux-falls/

Link to the Mapleton Golf Club website:

https://www.mapletongolfclub.com/

Jason Topp

Re: Mapleton Golf Club - Sioux Falls, SD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »
I have always been a big fan of Scott Hoffman’s original course - The Classic.   It has some holes you do not see anywhere else - sometimes for good and sometimes for bad but the result is a very creative and beautiful golf course that presents a series of fun challenges. 

This model of a small membership high end destination club seems to pop up all over the place these days.  It will be interesting to see if they survive the next economic downturn.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 10:39:26 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 11:50:51 PM »
Aren’t those two different Scott Hoffmans?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »

Yes, I am pretty sure it’s two different guys.

I had a look (only at the topo maps) at the property for The Classic 30+ years ago, before they hired their own superintendent, Scott Hoffman, to design it.  He’d be 65-70 years old now.  I’m pretty sure the Scott Hoffman who worked for Tom Fazio is quite a bit younger.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 01:18:17 PM »

I had a look (only at the topo maps) at the property for The Classic 30+ years ago, before they hired their own superintendent, Scott Hoffman, to design it.  He’d be 65-70 years old now.  I’m pretty sure the Scott Hoffman who worked for Tom Fazio is quite a bit younger.

I have a feeling Scott Hoffman of Lost Rail is the same one designing at Mapleton. The Scott Hoffmann you might be thinking of spells his last name with two nns. I have no inside info just a quick Google search.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 09:32:06 AM »
Looks like a cool concept to me.

Sioux Falls has been growing (relatively) quickly for many years as it is a tax haven for companies relocating from Minnesota. I could see it doing potentially fairly well, especially since there is a decent sized airport nearby.
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 09:48:19 PM »
The other interesting thing is that Sioux Falls only has two private clubs and both are big family clubs with long waiting lists.

A golf-first club certainly will attract some interest in a place where there has been a bunch of growth (+25 percent between 2010 and 2020).

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 05:04:09 PM »

I am pretty sure you are correct.

Gary Kurth

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Project Update: The site grading at the Mapleton Golf Club commenced at the end of October.  We've been enjoying a very mild start to the winter here in the upper midwest.  Rarely are we able to have grading projects extend into December.  There's a couple inches of frost in the ground in some areas, not enough to stop grading, especially when we had temps in the 50s-60s this past week.

The Mapleton Golf Club Facebook page has been adding individual hole descriptions and mock-ups. 

https://www.facebook.com/mapletongc/

The mild temps have allowed the rough grading for a new par 3 course (Lil-Wispy @ The Ridge in Sioux Center, IA) to be completed this fall.  I was on site yesterday and they were half-way through spreading the final topsoil stockpile and planned to complete the rough grading in the next day or two.  If you're interested, a schematic of Lil-Wispy layout (that our firm prepared) can be seen at the following link.

https://www.siouxcenterridge.com/home/lil-wispy-project/

It's great to have these projects taking place in the Siouxland area.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 03:36:29 PM »
Scott Hoffman posted a few photos of construction on Twitter this weekend.

https://x.com/HoffmanSl/status/1736071525424590951?s=20
[/size]
[/size]And the club posted a video of construction:
[/size]
[/size]https://youtu.be/gn3WWXmdyd0

[/size]Certainly interesting in following along here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back