News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

OT-Pinehurst trip
« on: November 25, 2023, 10:59:55 AM »
I'm thinking about putting together a trip to Pinehurst for a group of guys and myself. It will be our first time there and we would like to play Mid Pines, Southern Pines, Tobacco Road, Pine Needles and maybe a resort course on our first trip. What is the preferred time of year to go for access, weather (high 50's and 60's is ok) and course condition. Last thing I want to do is show up and have punched greens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ira Fishman

Re: OT-Pinehurst trip
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 12:08:12 PM »
We have taken to going in early November. Weather has been great. One factor though is that there are fewer hours of sunlight if you plan on playing 36.

Ira

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 01:02:49 PM »
We live in Pinehurst basically mid-Oct thru mid-May.  Best weather here is during the "shoulder seasons" (say March 15-June 1 and Sept 15-Nov 30) as winters can get cold and summers very hot and humid.  I find th fall to have better weather than the spring...but the sprn=ing is prettier (dogwoods in bloom etc)...liken most locations, greens tend to be perfect in fall.  Exact times for punching greens will vary from course to course and probably be a function of the grass on their greens.

Fall and spring obviously tend to book up early and with the Open next June my guess is about everyplace in booked for June '24 and perhaps also for May.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 02:56:16 PM »
We've gone in the fall 3x. Weather is almost always spectacular. Maybe a cool AM, maybe some rain but more likely than not you'll get that crystal blue sky fall day perfection.

Bad news is everyone wants to go then. Course are packed and the only way your getting out at the resort courses is to stay there. Had a very tough time getting on the Cradle, ended up doing a pre-round play then head out to one of the places you mention.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 04:21:49 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 08:55:49 AM »
Aeration on Bermuda greens, which pretty much everything in the Pinehurst area is now, including all the courses you mentioned, is in the late spring or early summer.  There might be some small tine/top dressing stuff after that, but it won’t interfere with play much, if at all.  But aeration schedules are typically done pretty far in advance, and a call to the course might well get you an exact answer.

As to the time of year, the fall is ideal golf weather in the SE.  The grass hasn’t gone dormant, the greens are perfect, the temperatures moderate, and you avoid the issues with summer thunderstorms in the afternoons.  (The only qualifier to that is the remote possibility of a tropical storm coming thru.)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 04:28:26 PM »
Aeration on Bermuda greens, which pretty much everything in the Pinehurst area is now, including all the courses you mentioned, is in the late spring or early summer.  There might be some small tine/top dressing stuff after that, but it won’t interfere with play much, if at all.  But aeration schedules are typically done pretty far in advance, and a call to the course might well get you an exact answer.
Yeah, I went to Pinehurst around July 4 last year, and many courses just had or were about to aerate. TR had a "play all day for one rate" price because they were closing for two days to aerate, IIRC, the next day.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 11:30:51 AM »
Rob-If you are able to watch the weather and can go on fairly short notice the period from November 20th through February 14th offers some wonderful deals on greens fees for the courses you referenced as well as lodging. I’ve played in January and February a number of times and had weather between the high forties and low seventies. There are plenty of tee times available and the courses are in good shape. I’m an avid Winter golfer and completely understand that the weather may not suit you and your crew although I thought coming from Rochester you would be more hearty than someone traveling from below the Mason-Dixon Line. ;D  Finally I’ve had great luck booking my trips through Tobacco Road Travel.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 11:40:35 AM by Tim Martin »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »
Rob-If you are able to watch the weather and can go on fairly short notice the period from November 20th through February 14th offers some wonderful deals on greens fees for the courses you referenced as well as lodging. I’ve played in January and February a number of times and had weather between the high forties and low seventies. There are plenty of tee times available and the courses are in good shape. I’m an avid Winter golfer and completely understand that the weather may not suit you and your crew although I thought coming from Rochester you are considerably more hearty than someone traveling from below the Mason-Dixon Line. ;D  Finally I’ve had great luck booking my trips through Tobacco Road Travel.

Thanks Tim, I'm starting to become a fair weather golfer the older I get..................

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 12:07:45 PM »
Rob,

Its all relative I guess.

As I look out my window to a frost covered landscape where its a crisp 25 degrees...temps in the 50s and 60s would be nothing short of delightful.  But then again, 20 years ago, I didn't mind playing in the 20s either.

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »
I am planning on heading to North Carolina in January and understand that the weather might not be perfect.  But I found a deal that includes 2 nights lodging at Mid-Pines, a round at Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and Tobacco road for a grand total of $450.  That is pretty tough to beat and they throw in breakfast :)  Almost to good to be true to play those caliber of courses at those rates.

It almost reminds me of Northern Michigan in 2010 when I was playing courses like Forest Dunes for under $40 on golfnow  ;D
"Pure Michigan"

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »
I am planning on heading to North Carolina in January and understand that the weather might not be perfect.  But I found a deal that includes 2 nights lodging at Mid-Pines, a round at Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and Tobacco road for a grand total of $450.  That is pretty tough to beat and they throw in breakfast :)  Almost to good to be true to play those caliber of courses at those rates.

I've gone to Tobacco Road the last few years in the stretch between Christmas and New Years. You can rent the cabin on the 14th green. They give you two golf carts, a key to the gate to get in, and you get unlimited play. That time of year, no one tees off after 2:00 because you can't play 18 before it gets dark. So if you play in the morning, finish around 1, grab lunch and relax, you can then head to the 1st tee and have the course to yourself. It's amazing. It also gives you a chance to play the El Camino Course, if you want to get around fast before it gets dark. Super fun way to conclude a trip.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 01:14:56 PM »

It almost reminds me of Northern Michigan in 2010 when I was playing courses like Forest Dunes for under $40 on golfnow  ;D

Bob-The Mid Pines hotel has a spooky feeling in the Winter. Just saying. ;D

Kevin Stark

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 01:42:24 PM »
We always liked going in the winter, where you can get stretches in the 50's and 60's like Rob mentioned in his original post. That time of the year always has the possibility of snow, though, so flexibility on timing is required. Dormant bermuda will be the name of the game, which was fine by us. The absence of crowds and the lower prices trumped "green".

Brett Meyer

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »

If the weather doesn't turn out in your favor, the Mid Pines hotel has some of the best radiators I've seen (gives you an idea of its age...).

After we got soaked on a miserable wet and cold November day, I dried out two pairs of longjohns, golf pants, sweaters, gloves, and a winter jacket in a just a few hours!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 09:44:05 AM »
I’m playing in a tournament there next week; Tuesday on Pine Needles, Wednesday on Mid Pines.  The highs those two days will be mid-50’s, with sunshine and not much wind, which will be fine.

However, the low in Pinehurst last night was 20*, and I’m assuming that there will be a lengthy frost delay this morning.

In short, you could get just about anything in NC from November through February and into March; that’s just the climate here.  But there are far more nice days than unplayable days, and dealing with a frost delay on courses like those is for sure a first world problem.  It’s also worth keeping in mind that those courses handle rain really well; it is, after all, the Sandhills, and I think all three have over seeded this year.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 11:14:27 AM »
Pinehurst in the winter can be lovely.

My tip would be to budget for just one round a day. There are going to be frost delays pretty much every day, and the rush to the 1st tee from ~10-11am is annoying. Many times it's worth while to plan to sleep in, go grab breakfast at the track, visit DT Pinehurst or Southern Pines (which I prefer to the town of Pinehurst - more charming and local shops) and their various shops, then try to tee off from noon-1:30pm. It'll be decently warm then, all the super senior locals will have already teed off, and you can enjoy a nice golden hour round.

If for some reason it turns out really warm, you could try to sneak in a quicker round at a place like #3 (which shouldn't be missed in Pinehurst) or the Cradle in the AM.
H.P.S.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
I played Mid Pines a few years ago in the winter and it was overseeded and very green but very soft.  Are they able to get the courses firm when they have been overseeded?

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 10:08:53 AM »

Bob-The Mid Pines hotel has a spooky feeling in the Winter. Just saying. ;D

I stayed at the Mid Pines Hotel a couple of years ago. The walk from bed to bathroom was a slippery downhill double breaker. Not a straight putt or level floor to be found on that property!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2023, 01:58:45 PM »
Outside of the Pines trio, Pinehurst Resort courses and the Strantz duo which publics do you recommend?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2023, 02:42:20 PM »
Outside of the Pines trio, Pinehurst Resort courses and the Strantz duo which publics do you recommend?

None?

I think the above has enough quality that I'd replay one before venturing off to play Pinewild or Longleaf.
H.P.S.

John Foley

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2023, 03:40:05 PM »
Don't sleep on Longleaf!! Have had a few very good fun rounds there.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2023, 03:54:21 PM »
Hyland is worth checking out.  It's solid, no frills golf on a pretty good property. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

Jay Mickle

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2023, 07:46:40 PM »
Chris Spence just completed a reno of Woodlake CC. The course is well worth seeing. Check out the GolfClubAtlas Instagram posting from October 26.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 11:21:56 AM »
Chris Spence just completed a reno of Woodlake CC. The course is well worth seeing. Check out the GolfClubAtlas Instagram posting from October 26.

I played it in early October and really enjoyed it. There are some good holes out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back