News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2021, 04:48:34 PM »
Sean

Apart from the 18th, have they changed anything else about no. 3 ?

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
Sean,

A fine update on G3. A few comments:

I’m surprised by your fondness for #15. I guess it must have been your birdie that clouded your judgement. I played 60 rounds over the three Gullane courses this summer and can emphatically say that #15 on G3 is my LEAST favorite of all 54 holes. The course obviously must come back down the hill, but that hole is nothing but pure luck. Good shots are rarely rewarded and horrible shots often turn out brilliantly. It’s pure luck… nothing more. You could kick a ball off the tee and get decent results. It sucks.

IMHO #16 is the best hole on G3… and, it falls in a pivotal location for a great number of matches.

Finally, the “visitor’s house” is no more. This is now the new, beautifully redesigned “Links Clubhouse” for members and guests. I know that you used to take issue with Gullane for having a visitor’s clubhouse… the new facility is a grand improvement, I think you will agree.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2021, 06:45:43 PM »
Oh, and #18 is a wonderful finishing par three. Just the right distance and the green is one of the more interesting on the course. A great addition.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »
Sean,

I’m surprised by your fondness for #15. I guess it must have been your birdie that clouded your judgement. I played 60 rounds over the three Gullane courses this summer and can emphatically say that #15 on G3 is my LEAST favorite of all 54 holes. The course obviously must come back down the hill, but that hole is nothing but pure luck. Good shots are rarely rewarded and horrible shots often turn out brilliantly. It’s pure luck… nothing more. You could kick a ball off the tee and get decent results. It sucks.

IMHO #16 is the best hole on G3… and, it falls in a pivotal location for a great number of matches.

Finally, the “visitor’s house” is no more. This is now the new, beautifully redesigned “Links Clubhouse” for members and guests. I know that you used to take issue with Gullane for having a visitor’s clubhouse… the new facility is a grand improvement, I think you will agree.

Maybe the unknown is what makes 15 look so appealing. Your description is that of a hole that the higher handicappers like to play with the good golfers. It’s an equalizer. Where luck may prevail over skill. Ive seen a lot of shots that looked like they were kicked. Looks like a low skull may be the best option here. The green does have a nice Macreyner punchbowl feel.

David Jones

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2021, 02:30:03 AM »
Sean,

I’m surprised by your fondness for #15. I guess it must have been your birdie that clouded your judgement. I played 60 rounds over the three Gullane courses this summer and can emphatically say that #15 on G3 is my LEAST favorite of all 54 holes. The course obviously must come back down the hill, but that hole is nothing but pure luck. Good shots are rarely rewarded and horrible shots often turn out brilliantly. It’s pure luck… nothing more. You could kick a ball off the tee and get decent results.

I play number 3 a lot with my kids and their friends, as well as people just starting out playing. They all love the 15th. Just stepping on the tee brings a big smile to their faces. And why not? They can top a drive 5 yards and still get on the green!

A friend’s son got a hole in one last year using just a putter. All his mates were out the next day trying to do the same.

I still haven’t worked out how to play it, I’m tending towards trying to fly it all the way, but it rarely works with a front pin. Put me in the camp of those who love the hole’s inclusion!

Niall - no other changes to number 3 behond the 18th.

If you or anyone else fancies making up a fourball between now and the end of March let me know as I have a voucher that needs to be used and would love to see you there.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »
A friend’s son got a hole in one last year using just a putter. All his mates were out the next day trying to do the same.

Exactly my point. It’s like a putt-putt course hole at Myrtle Beach.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2021, 08:25:06 AM »

Exactly my point. It’s like a putt-putt course hole at Myrtle Beach.

Any hole which can elicit a smile on my face when standing on the tee is a hole I have time for.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Reader

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »

If you or anyone else fancies making up a fourball between now and the end of March let me know as I have a voucher that needs to be used and would love to see you there.

I’d definitely be up for that David.  I’m going to be in St Andrews from the end of December through to early February and a trip down to Gullane would be great.  Likewise, if anyone fancies a game in Fife over that period, let me know.

David Jones

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2021, 08:43:08 AM »

I’d definitely be up for that David.  I’m going to be in St Andrews from the end of December through to early February and a trip down to Gullane would be great.  Likewise, if anyone fancies a game in Fife over that period, let me know.

Perfect, we can putt from the 15th tee!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2022, 06:43:08 AM »
Just returned from a tour of East Lothian that was based on playing 4 courses I hadn’t before (Gullane 1, 3, Dunbar & Kilspindie) including a hugely enjoyable round on Gullane 1 with Mr Whitaker and Mr Carlton….

Gullane 1 & Kilspindie met my - admittedly high - expectations; but both Dunbar and my 36 holes at Gullane 3 exceeded what I had expected.

Gullane 3 has magnificent green sites and some fantastic golf holes.

6, 7, 12, 14, 16 & 17 are magnificent.

15 is a bit of a dud. 4 is just a necessary evil… But there isn’t a misstep on the rest of the course.

More and more I think the best golf clubs are 36 hole affairs (I realise this is 54) with a longer main layout and a ~5,500 yard length short course.

Niall C

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2022, 08:50:31 AM »
Ally

Do you prefer the green complexes on no.3 to no.1 and is that perhaps because they are slightly smaller ?

Sean

I'd missed your update on this thread previously with the new 18th green. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to look at it last week but from your photos the new green site looks a big improvement on the old one, at least in terms of blending in with the other greens.

Niall 

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
Ally

Do you prefer the green complexes on no.3 to no.1 and is that perhaps because they are slightly smaller ?

Sean

I'd missed your update on this thread previously with the new 18th green. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to look at it last week but from your photos the new green site looks a big improvement on the old one, at least in terms of blending in with the other greens.

Niall

Niall

I think the actual green is probably a bit more interesting than the old one, but the old approach was more interesting because of the angle of the old green. Overall, for the new work is a slight negative based on where the green finishes. With the new house it was a good opportunity to have the course tightly connected to the house. But I admit the hole turned out better than I expected.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2022, 09:02:55 AM »
Ally

Sean

Niall

I have played No 3 in a Scottish Universities match against Heriot Watt over 20 years ago initially disappointed not to play either No 1 or No 2 - was surprised to see how good it was then

Ally - James Edwards and I think Conor Walsh (contractor) worked on the new 18th green and the new short game chipping green.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2022, 12:02:29 PM »
Niall, yes I think the green sites are - as a whole - better on no.3 than on no.1.

They are indeed smaller but they are often located in natural folds in the ground at beautiful angles. There is actually more undulation on 3 than on 1.

That said, I probably give 3 a pass for some of its failings (small though they are) whereas I hold No.1 up to the highest of standards. And nothing on 3 compares to the majesty of 1’s best moments.

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2022, 03:38:58 AM »
#3 is a very clever course. I reckon it plays quite difficult for a 5200 yard course. It doesn't seem that short at all.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3 New
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2023, 04:17:05 PM »
All

Please see the updated Gullane 3 tour. I played it a few more times this summer. Two holes in particular grabbed my attention. I think I previously dismissed 13 too easily. This par 3 is growing on me. I also mention the 14th. I never realized how perilous a right hole location is with the false front!

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 03:28:47 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back