News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Loraloma near Austin, TX, David McLay-Kidd
« on: September 12, 2023, 12:33:25 PM »
David McLay-Kidd bringing minimalistic design strategy to Texas with Loraloma

Bandon Dunes designer David McLay-Kidd is well known for his minimalistic golf course design, working with the site he’s given rather than moving mountains of dirt to create something new.As the designer of three of GOLF’s Top 100 Courses in the U.S. already, McLay-Kidd’s work has typically been on links-style sites, like the Oregon coast, along the Columbia River in Eastern Washington or the sand hills of Nebraska. The Scotsman was the first designer of a new course at St. Andrews in nearly 100 years when his Castle Course opened for play along the North Sea.But McLay-Kidd had yet to put his name on a project in the southern U.S. Until now...
This month, Loraloma, a private Hill Country community within the 2,200-acre Thomas Ranch master plan outside Austin, Texas, will break ground on McLay-Kidd’s first design in the southern U.S. The community, which is in the Lake Travis area, is being developed by Areté Collective.

Read more with routing plan:
https://golf.com/travel/david-mclay-kidd-loraloma
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:47:07 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Handley

Re: Loraloma near Austin, TX, David McLay-Kidd
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  I live about 10 minutes from there.  Not only Loraloma with DMK course (and huge housing development) but also Travis Club by Beau Welling. Golf club memberships around here are going for $150-250K which is astonishing.  I have no doubt these developments will be nice ($2M+ for housing).  They are located on Lake Travis (T Club) and the Pedernales River (Loraloma).  Lake Travis is about 50% full and Pedernales is almost bone dry.  I hope we get a ton of rain before these properties launch so it looks like the pretty marketing pics.  :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:40:24 PM »
Hmm... three miles from the Austin Golf Club. Adjacent to Lakecliff GC.  It seems money is consolidating on a new section of Lake Travis.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

John Handley

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 11:32:50 AM »
@Matt Schoolfield - The whole 71 corridor from Bee Cave to Spicewood has grown like crazy.  Spanish Oaks GC (Bobby Weed) and Austin Golf Club (Crenshaw) are best in class in golf but The Hills, Barton Creek, and Lakecliff are all solid.  I think the two new ones discussed, Loraloma and Travis Club are going to be very good too.

The Crown Jewel may end up being a project down in Luling that is currently being built by Kyle Franz.  Luling is about 40 south of Austin airport.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 03:00:34 PM »
I grew up near Barton Creek (the actual creek, not the club), but haven’t lived in the area for 15 years. Always interesting to see how much things change. I’ve always thought it was an underrated golf city… but maybe it’s becoming appropriately rated.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 03:02:17 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 07:27:18 AM »
Austin is in need of some more top golfing venues as it isn't very deep.  The area is certainly for the wealthier demographic.

I welcome this course. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 11:04:50 PM »
Austin is in need of some more top golfing venues as it isn't very deep.  The area is certainly for the wealthier demographic.

I welcome this course.

You're not kidding.

My family lived in Austin from 2013-2022, we relocated to Grand Rapids MI last summer.

We miss our friends in Austin.
We miss the tacos.
I miss the tennis community.
The city has certainly gotten out over its skis from a wealth perspective.

From a golf perspective, it could maybe use some more "top golfing venues", but some more regular golfing venues as well. I always enjoyed playing Roy Kizer and Mo Willie, but they're not good enough to miss. Especially in an admittedly golf-spoiled region like Michigan.

David Schofield

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 08:11:03 AM »
The transition from 13 to 14 is awkward.  It reminds me of the transition from 14 to 15 at Tobacco Road.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back