News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Union League (Cape May) update
« on: August 24, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
 8)

We played a really nice one day event yesterday at Union League National here in beautiful Cape May County. It was well run and the Shore Club (us) won  ;D   but I digress

Have heard lots of complaints about the severity of the greens from players this summer but I would have to say had a blast playing yesterday. It's got lots of great visuals and you can play the aerial game or hit it low and still get around in a decent score. That's not easy to do for an architect so would say its quite an achievement.

The problem lies in people not understanding what they were trying to achieve here and although I'm not privy to too much inside info my educated guess is that its not a "member club" and hence isn't geared to habitual play by the same people. It's more of a thrill ride , and for me it works !

As the hills and flora fill in it will be even better

mike_malone

Re: Union League (Cape May) update
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 10:24:36 AM »
Archie,

I hope to get there soon. Isn’t one nine more member friendly?
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 12:49:28 PM »
😎

I don’t know if any of the nines could be called  “member friendly”. But there’s plenty of room to hit it and the hardest holes if you aren’t playing well the par threes get you first 🥲.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 01:20:52 PM »
Actually, it is functioning as a "members club." Membership there is full, the waiting list long and play severely limited, even to other Union League members. Effectively, the same people are playing it regularly.

I played it last fall and was enthralled by the scale and scope of the redesign. Its features are bold and unusual. There are a number of world-class holes across the 27 and most, if not all the rest are a mix of fun and test. There are plenty of quirks and areas that produce visual excitement, but near artificial penalty It may well be a golf unicorn having seen the extinction of one modern course and the construction a 1000% different one in its place.

Union League National (Cape May) won't be loved by all. The architecture is so often unique (although there are plenty of strategically solid holes) that it will produce polarizing opinions. IMO, there is more than enough room in the game for something so different and interesting that I can't wait to get back and play it a few more times.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Crane

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 01:54:04 PM »
Folks;
Does the amount of play decline after Labor day as most members head back to their homes in Phila areas or elsewhere ?  I am keen on heading down there this fall to play all 27 holes.

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 03:21:25 PM »
 8)

Yo Steve.  Of course it has members , a lot of them ! 

My comment meant that at our club we have ladies group Wednesday , Mens Thursday  and more organized play that repeats weekly all season

Pine  Valley is a members club also, but you don’t see the same people playing there all the time . Union League is more in that mold with lots of guest playing with members

The architecture is really interesting , lots of really fun holes

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 03:21:48 PM »
 8)

Also most people wouldn’t want a daily diet of same
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 03:39:26 PM by archie_struthers »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 04:54:23 PM »
   The Union League is doing what Trump wishes he could do with golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back