News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John McCarthy

Re: OT: FedEx Cup
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2023, 05:01:50 PM »
The players really care.

Name drop time! So I was an Evans Scholar so they try to get us alums to caddy in the pro am and harrang the ams to give us a lot of money to go to the scholarship. I got to see Janet Jones hit balls on the range a few times. Totally worth it.

Anyway, some years back the pro in my group was Brooks Koepka. He explained that if they get in the top 30 their next year is set. They are in everything. They can make a schedule in October, avoid courses they hate and hit the tournaments where they make the most money.

So the players in the 20-40 zone are really grinding.

(BTW, I think Koepka makes it clear he plays golf for money. I respect the honesty.)
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »
For those of you who did not care to watch today, the final round was great and I believe we have a new star as the winner
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2023, 08:23:51 PM »
Rory hits one good shot in the Scottish Open and we talk about it for weeks.

Daryl David

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2023, 08:59:25 PM »
Rory hits one good shot in the Scottish Open and we talk about it for weeks.

+1

He is yesterday’s news. Viktor is the future.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2023, 09:44:41 PM »
28!! Who shoot 28? He doesn’t shoot it in the first round but his last nine. Good for you Viktor. All or Norway cheers.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2023, 10:53:04 PM »
Remember when they came out of school, the predicted 3 new stars--Matt Wolff, Colin Morikawa and Viktor.  Wolff fizzled with his off-beat swing and the LIV Tour distraction, it looked like Colin with his PGA win was going be the best, but after today I'm ready to say that Viktor is it.  Fantastic!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:56:34 PM by Jim Hoak »

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2023, 11:15:57 PM »
I saw Viktor Hovland play in the Jacques Leglise Trophy matches (a Ryder Cup-style event between junior boys from GB&I and the Continent) at Royal Dornoch in 2015. He was a few weeks shy of his 18th birthday.

You could tell he was going to be a very good player, but I can't say I was sure he would be this good.

p.s. I wouldn't give up on Colin Morikawa just yet. With two majors under his belt he has already had quite a career. There may be a few more to come.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2023, 10:20:59 AM »
Wonderful finish. Who cares about the score, it proved how important conditions are for tournaments. 2020 saw firm and fast, this week mother nature gave us wet and receptive.

We have forgotten Scottie Scheffler who seemed to have it stuck on automatic with all parts of his game until a bogey on the back, par on par 5 fifteen and missed short putt on 17. He was stripping the ball all day and I'm sure he is kicking himself. He isn't too far behind Rory when he goes after a drive 180 plus ball speed.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Bruce Katona

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
JK:  What I would not give to have Rory's skill & length/power for a few weeks..............

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2023, 01:08:41 PM »
It is better to have never had skill, length/power than to have had it and lost it.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2023, 12:48:44 PM »
Perhaps JK, but then again I didn't inherit good looks or wealth either!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back