News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Rehoboth Beach Country Club (Delaware)
« on: April 02, 2022, 10:26:44 PM »
Anyone know about it? When was it built? Who designed it? Anyone played it?

https://www.rehobothbeachcc.com/Home

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: Rehoboth Beach Country Club (Delaware)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 06:23:00 AM »
I have played it about back in early spring of 2016.  A nicely routed and easily walkable course.  A Brian Ault design. 

Photos:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/RehobothBeachCC/index.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:18:58 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:58:05 PM »
Rehoboth is a nice second club for folks that own a beach house in the area. It is low key, walkable, and very user friendly. The course opened in 1925 as nine holes but a new site allowed them to construct 18 holes in the early 60's. Neither Ault/Clark nor the club website designate Brian Ault as the designer. There is no mention of Rehoboth on the Ault/Clark website. I know he has been credited with the design. but it is not correct. In 1960 when the club began construction his Dad did the company's design work.

The ASGCA credits Cornish with the design.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:27:40 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bernie Bell

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
I have it in my mind that the design at the current location was first done by Russell Roberts.  Will try to source that. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 12:34:17 PM by Bernie Bell »

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 06:07:13 PM »
I have it in my mind that the design at the current location was first done by Russell Roberts.  Will try to source that.
Bernie,

You're correct.   The 18 hole Rehoboth Beach course that opened in 1963 was designed by Frank Murray & Russell Roberts who were partners at the time.   They did a lot of courses in the 50s and 60s in that area.   I haven't played there but it looks from aerial progressions that someone got fussier with the bunkering over time, and that may have been the Ault group but I don't know for certain.

The original nine hole course of RB was designed by Francis Warner, former President of the Golf Association of Philadelphia who also primarily designed Paxon Hollow. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 07:45:40 PM »
Then what did Cornish do?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam_Messix

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:15:05 AM »
The bunkers have changed over time.  At Rehoboth, Roberts and Murray seemed to place most greenside bunkers at 4 and 7 o'clock.  The property is very flat as you expect in the central Delmarva.  I think Brian Ault did a fair amount of redesign work in the period of the mid 1990s to early 2000s including adding a 19th hole par 3 on the bay.  For me it's a fun course and a good place to enjoy a game while at the beach.  The view from the clubhouse is strong too.

I have a scorecard from the 1980s that has an aerial photo on the front and I will double check if anything pops out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back