News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Bear's Club, Loxahatchee, Olde Florida, or Old Collier
« on: November 24, 2003, 01:51:58 PM »
I will be in Florida and will be playing Seminole one day and Calusa Pines the next and would like people's opinion on which course to round out my weekend. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

david h. carroll

Re:Bear's Club, Loxahatchee, Olde Florida, or Old Collier
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 02:19:46 PM »
you're a f**k.

SteveTL

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 02:43:41 PM »
Why don't you ask Matt Ward?  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 03:00:41 PM »
Hey, I'm asking everyone including Matt Ward. Matt's opinions are pretty close to mine and I agree that Florida golf does not offer a huge variety, but I have played some good courses there and these are highly regarded as well.
Mr Hurricane

rgkeller

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 04:42:48 PM »
No reason to come all the way back across the state to play the Bear's Club or Loxahatchee unless you are a real die hard Jack Nicklaus fan.

Is "Old Collier" older than "Olde Florida?"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 04:44:37 PM by rgkeller »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 04:55:09 PM »
Why not play Hole in the Wall in Naples and take some pics and post them for our comments?

I think "Olde Florida"  is older than "Old Collier. " The "e" did add immediate oldness to the club.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Will E

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 05:19:21 PM »
If you're staying in Naples I'd skip Olde Florida and try to get on the Hideout. I haven't seen Old Collier and plan to soon, the reports from my sources rave about the turf and describe the layout to be similar to Fazio's other efforts at Mediterra and the Bonita Bay East courses. Will be curious to your thoughts on Calusa Pines. Along with Seminole I'd consider it to be one of the best in South Florida. Sounds like a nice trip.

james soper

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:22:11 PM »
Jupiter Hills (Hills Course), Medalist, or the Floridian(Huizinga's private course, more for the ambiance than the course). I  heard some good things about Redstick in Vero Beach(Rees Jones golf only) but have yet to play it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 05:23:03 PM »
I've heard good things about Calusa Pines from a few people I respect but I dare say -- if you get the opportunity to play Seminole why make the trek across the state? Better to schedule another round in the vicinity of North Palm Beach. Why not Pine Tree, to name just one example.

james soper

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 05:33:27 PM »
olde florida (rees jones) is much older than old collier(fazio) and is fairly straight forward material. naples national is another possibility if your heading to naples. superb shape, caddies and few people. lox isn't worth your time given the other choices. bear's club is a mixed bag. probably better off going to pine tree if you have played jupiter hills or medalist. macarthur is nice but still needs some time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 05:46:03 PM by medalist »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 05:43:45 PM »
Matt -

I knew you would come through in the clutch; I didn't even think of Pine Tree and I have a buddy that's a member. I have made up my mind: Seminole, Calusa Pines, and Pine Tree.
Mr Hurricane

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 09:42:57 PM »
The Bear's Club is excellent.  Hit it if you can get on, by all means!  It is one of Jack's better efforts, IMHO.

;) :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 01:47:55 AM »
Try the Ritz next door to the Bears Club, it is excellent.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back