News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA recap, reviews, photos, reactions and comments.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
Joe,

I thought Swinkelsche was really good.  In fact (and I know I'll be in a minority here) I'd rather play there than  Noordwijkse.  I'll post some thoughts on the other courses I played (I missed the Thursday an Friday) but Swiinkelsche  made me think more than any other course I have played in the past few years.  There was barely a shot where serious thought wasn't necessary to decide what shot to play next.

Built on land that was originally perfectly flat the shaping is wonderful.  It's no exaggeration to say that in a few years, when the course starts to mature, I imagine it will feel as if it was built on an entirely natural stretch of rolling heathland.  The contrast between the sympathetic, subtle shaping at Swinkelsche and the awful mounding at The International was night and day.  Swinkelsche has an excellent set of par 3s.  The best par 3 set of any modern course I have played.  Arguably it lacks a really short par 3, but that really isn't a knock on the course.

The par 4s are also a good set.  If I had a criticism it would be that they can be a bit too complicated (in that it can be too difficult to work out how to play them) but they work really well.  I wasn't a fan of the 8th, which Joe did like (which just shows how opinions can vary), I thought the carry too the peninsula was a shot no sane golfer would take on and that playing safely down the left made the hole play too hard, with a long iron or utility second to a small green with water and bunkering right and OOB and trees hard on the left.  7 was an interesting par 5 but combined with 18 was just a bit too busy.  Certainly 7 and 18 could be cured by the removal of a bunker or two.

Overall, though, I was really, really impressed by Swinkelsche.  It played firm but not yet fast and was a real thinking man's course.  Architecturally superior (in my opinion, others may vary) to Noordwijkse and in better condition, on the day, than Eindhoven.  I'd love to see Swinkelsche again in 5 years, when the course has properly grown in.  I don't play a lot of modern courses but I would say that Swinkelsche stands comparison with Renaissance Club and MPCC Shore.  Certainly, for me, the surprise package of the week.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:45:40 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Chris,

Here are two more photos of the 17th at De Pan. I played a 3 iron off the tee and then a easy wedge to the green, as I was +2 with two holes to play, so didn't want to mess up a good score.

This is from about 80 yards out. The slope up to the green is a bit steeper than shown in the photo.

Here's a side view of the green. As Joe wrote, the small bit of fairway/apron looks a lot larger from the tee.

David_Elvins

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Thanks to all for the photos and commentary.  Very jealous.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
I played Swinkelsche with Mark Pearce and think his summary is quite good.  I cannot remember ever spending more time discussing and trying to work out the best way to play a hole, and that included more than just the tee shots. After so many shots, I changed my mind about how to play the hole, and that was even after the successful plays. It's a really unique course and should grow into a very good one.  Conditions were very good given the newness, and the shaping work was good.  After so many shots, I changed my mind about how to play the hole, and that was even after the successful plays.

After the round, we were able to talk with Frank a bit about the course and his thoughts, but when I make it back to Holland I would really like to play the course with him and ask a whole lot more questions.  Fascinating design.

I'm finding work to interfere too much with commenting on the other courses, but I'll hopefully get to it soon.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
Gorgeous looking golf courses, but did you really stay at the Bulgarian secret service hq for your hotel???

That is one fugly building...

Jealous, though.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »
I love this photo. The one-handed-backwards-shot. Wonderful.
All the best

Wouter plays a backhander at the 15th; it landed on the green!!

Frank Pont

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
Gorgeous looking golf courses, but did you really stay at the Bulgarian secret service hq for your hotel???

That is one fugly building...

Jealous, though.
F.

Martin,

It is indeed amazing how Holland and Belgium have been able to fully ruin the coastal villages with Stalinistic concrete ugliness like you see here.....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:18:49 PM by Frank Pont »

Frank Pont

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Mark and John,

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess if you have 10 years to prepare for a course like De Swinkelsche like I had, you might have a tendency to start overanalysing and potentially overcooking each of the holes. You are right that even on the straightforward holes the greens and pin positions still provide a puzzle. On the other hand you have only played the course once, and I think it will become a lot clearer with repeated play....

But your points are taken;  maybe my next course should have more of a "less is more" approach

PS you are always welkom to come and walk Swinkelsche with me and listen to me go on and on about all the ways you could play the course, thats the easy bit  :)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
The hotel is actually quite old, meaning that it looked ultra-modern at the time it was conceived. But inside is a whole different story, the rooms, bar, restaurant etc. were all first rate.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

But your points are taken;  maybe my next course should have more of a "less is more" approach

I hope I didn't suggest that.  I really liked how the course required a lot of thought yet wasn't what I would call visually cluttered.  That's really impressive given the landscape that you started out with.  I especially liked the short 11th. I am almost certain that a driver off the tee is not the best play for me there, but I am also equally sure that I would probably hit driver every time.  So many of the tee shots seem like they would continue to tempt even after experience might show otherwise.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:09 AM »
Frank,

Like John I really wouldn't want to see a change in approach.  As you said over a drink that evening, it's easier to remove a bunker or more than to add one later and there are perhaps only three holes on the course that I might change and one of those I'm not sure about.  It's great to be made to think so much on a course.  The only other new course I have seen recently that  came near to making me think so much was the Colt Course at Close House.  Have you seen that on your trips to the North East?  An entirely different challenge in that it was built on a steep valley bank rather than entirely flat land but some similarities in approach, I think.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joe Perches

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »

I hope I didn't suggest that.  I really liked how the course required a lot of thought yet wasn't what I would call visually cluttered.  That's really impressive given the landscape that you started out with.  I especially liked the short 11th. I am almost certain that a driver off the tee is not the best play for me there, but I am also equally sure that I would probably hit driver every time.  So many of the tee shots seem like they would continue to tempt even after experience might show otherwise.

Thanks for the comments.  I had a lot of fun puzzling over the routing map.  I was wondering if the shaping might have been as good as what I thought the routing might be.  I'm happy to hear it's a real thinking player's course with good shaping too.

I'll be delighted to see it in person one day.  Congrats to all involved.

Frank Pont

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »

Don't worry, I wasn't hinking about a major change in approach, maybe just being less concerned about giving each hole the perfect defence.

Glad to hear I built in enough temptation to get you wanting to do things you know you should not do  :)
Temptation is the key element that makes strrategy fun.

Frank Pont

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:58 AM »
Frank,

Like John I really wouldn't want to see a change in approach.  As you said over a drink that evening, it's easier to remove a bunker or more than to add one later and there are perhaps only three holes on the course that I might change and one of those I'm not sure about.  It's great to be made to think so much on a course.  The only other new course I have seen recently that  came near to making me think so much was the Colt Course at Close House.  Have you seen that on your trips to the North East?  An entirely different challenge in that it was built on a steep valley bank rather than entirely flat land but some similarities in approach, I think.

I saw Close House last year and really liked the course. There are a number of super holes, which have great strategies and beautiful bunkering (1, 3, 4, 11, 12, 16, 17). Terrain was very difficult for golf which resulted in a few holes I liked less such as 8, 10 and 15. Overal a great accomplishment by Scott MacPherson.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 04:19:33 AM »
Great stuff guys and well done David D.

For those of us who couldn't be there, any talk/thoughts on BUDA 2104?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »

I'm working on a May or June Scotland trip with son David.  Is it time to return to the roots?   Crail, Leven?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

Nothing like planning ahead, Rich. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
The previously discussed suggestion for Buda 2014 is something based around Carne in the west of Ireland. I know Ally McIntosh and Rob Hiseman are in the case.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:55 PM »
The previously discussed suggestion for Buda 2014 is something based around Carne in the west of Ireland. I know Ally McIntosh and Rob Hiseman are in the case.
There were a number of previously discussed proposals.  No doubt many of the others (Kington, Ganton and others) will all get an airing over the next few weeks.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »
What about Scotland west coast? Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick... just a right load of rubbish.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »

Robin had suggested an itinerary along the lines of:

Meet at Mulranny 9 holer for Friday afternoon / evening - stay in Belmullet...
27 / 36 at Carne on Saturday - stay in Belmullet
18 / 36 at Enniscrone Sunday - stay in Enniscrone
Monday morning - head home / post-BUDA destinations (suggest Strandhill / Rosses Point / Narin & Portnoo / Cruit Island / Rosapenna / Portsalon / Ballyliffin etc....)

Can certainly help with this if desired... Cost will be good I'm sure

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Approximate dates? Summer again?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2022, 08:16:03 PM »
Wish the photos and links in this thread could be repaired.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2022, 03:09:05 AM »
Wish the photos and links in this thread could be repaired.

Michael,

I was also unable to view photos from Photobucket, but someone on this site suggested downloading the "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" for Chrome. I downloaded it using Chrome, and I can now view photos from Photobucket.

I think this is the link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

but I can't see where the link to download the fix is.

EDIT: I do have a plan to update all the links to my Photobucket photos and mover them somewhere else (e.g. Flikr.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:11:10 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back