News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Now that Glen Lakes in Glendale is closing  in March, this article highlights the prevalence of 9 holers and short 18 holers in the area:

Desert Mirage, Encanto 9, Palo Verde and Sun City has 2 18 hole courses and 1 9 hole course  and 

Peoria Pines https://www.peoriapines.com/.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2018/12/14/glen-lakes-golf-course-closing-where-do-go-now-glendale-city-cuncil/2295137002/

The article did not mention my favorite short 18- Bellaire in Glendale, designed  by Red Lawrence. Par 59, 3500y. Always good  for quick golf, a good walk and some practice.

http://www.bellairgolf.com/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:22:02 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Some 9 Hole & " Executive" Courses in Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
BellAir in Glendale will be renovated next year by Forrest Richardson. Details to follow.

There are 3 18 hole "executive" courses at Sun City West. All are about 4000y.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:05:05 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

David Federman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 03:05:29 PM »
The "Short Course" at Mountain Shadows is great fun and a terrific lay-out. https://www.mountainshadows.com/golf

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
I'm in the SE valley about an hour from Glendale. Bear Creek has an 18 hole executive course in addition to the regular 18.
Be the ball

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
BellAir in Glendale will be renovated next year by Forrest Richardson. Details to follow.

There are 3 18 hole "executive" courses at Sun City West. All are about 4000y.
Steve, my parents live in SCW during the winter and my dad plays almost everyday at one of their options there. I'll have to ask him. He never cared about quality, only price and convenience, which makes SCW golf so great for the retirees who live there.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
Here is Forrest Richardson's plan for BellAir:

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/digital/magazine/issue61/84/#zoom=z

@Jeff,

Sun City West has 7 courses, 4 regulation and 3 short. They are a golf factory doing more than 200,00 rounds/year.

Sun City  has 8 courses, 5 regulation and 3 short.

Sun City Grand has 4 regulation courses.

Sun City Festival has 27  holes.

Westbrook Village, another 55+ community, has 2 regulation courses.

Arizona Traditions, another 55+ community, has 1 regulation course.

Sun Village, another 55+ community,  has an 18 hole par 3 course. 

My community, Pebble Creek, has 3 regulation courses, one of which recently completed a 4M+ renovation without an assessment and will re-open in November.  We  will probably do somewhere around 125,000 rounds next year. The developer is still building houses so we anticipate more rounds will be played in the future. Rather than build a short course as some residents wanted, we now have yellow tees on 2 courses at around 4000y.

Given that there are more daily fee non age restricted courses in the  West Valley and just a few private courses- Arrowhead, Briarwood, Corte Bella, Blackstone and the soon to open Sterling Grove, I think an argument can be made that the West Valley comes close to The Villages in Central Florida in offering golf for us "active adults" in age restricted communities.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:37:43 AM »
Hey Steve...those are pretty robust stats for courses in SC and no wonder they can attract so many golfers. I know several people who go to the villages and they all say they love the place, but not necessarily for the golf. The "active lifestyle" and activities. I don't know if they are still building there, I would assume they are. But I agree SC vs. Villages is an interesting comparison for those looking to retire. Del Webb was a visionary in many ways. My parents actually live in a Del Webb in Shorewood, Ill. where we grew up in the sw Chicago burbs and are very happy there.

My dad told me that some "retirement communities" have age qualifying as low as 40+! That is lowering the bar quite a bit from previous age restricted rules. I think Pebble Creek has a low one too?

I love what Forrest's plan is for Bellair and the zero hole. Having some unique things such as this adds to the cool factor and will draw people in. 18 hole putting course also a good idea.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:07:13 AM »
@ Jeff

In AZ, at least 80% of all  units must be occupied by at least one person who is 55 or older . Yes, under 55 can buy or rent in an age restricted community IF there are no children under 19 who reside with them.

This is a big selling point for developers to convince cities & counties to approve this kind of community. Real estate taxes are collected for schools without flooding school population.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
I drove by Bellair a few days ago and noticed it was not over seeded and was dormant brown. I didn't make a U-Turn to see if they were open. Later, Forrest advised me that the course was indeed closed and the bank is looking for a buyer.  As soon as I win Powerball, I'll buy it and hire Forrest to do his thing.  ;D

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »
El Caro I think it was called up by the Ping factory.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
El Caro closed in 2007. A developer bought it and condos are there now.

https://www.golfcourseranking.com/courses/Arizona/Phoenix/usa/Club%20West%20Golf%20Course/357/

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »
The point here is that it is a shame to see these short courses closing. I used to own a rental condo on El Caro. I played Paloverde as a kid (still open, but at the hands of the City and who ever knows). Glen Lakes was not my stomping ground, but it was always populated with kids, beginners and people having fun. BellAir is a terrible shame; our client bought it and then could not perform financially. They lost it back to the lender, but too late to save much turf. And, they gutted the clubhouse ?? We never figured out how that happened, or why without a plan in place. It is now one big white elephant.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Some 9 Hole & " Executive" Courses in Phoenix, AZ - Bellair Sold!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »
I was in the area today and stopped in. BellAir is tentatively scheduled to open in mid November. The course looks good but the pro shop needs to  be completed. 

Steve_ Shaffer

The course,designed in 1972 by Red Lawrence with Hardin & Nash,  is now open-3529y,5 par4s&13pars' Rates now in prime season are $39 in morning and $32 in afternoon.

https://www.bellairgolfpark.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back