News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Golf Digests Most Fun Courses
« on: December 25, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »

[size=78%]https://www.golfdigest.com/story/most-fun-golf-courses-intro[/size]

What courses are they missing?

What courses would you add?

Have you ever had fun golfing?

Looks like Cruden Bay was edged out of the 20th spot by the Lady’s Putting Club. But well deserved for the Himalayas. It’s history is %@*& and it is great fun for the whole family. I’m proud to have mowed it and set it up.

Glad to see Rustic Canyon on the Golf Digest list.

Great to see Top 100 rankers at Golf Digest offering opinions on “fun” courses. Looks like they get it.

Anthony

Drew Harvie

Re: Golf Digests Most Fun Courses
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 09:55:36 AM »
I'm a Pacific Dunes fanboy but surely Bandon Trails is a more "fun" course, right? Pacific is a bit gruelling for some.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
I'm a Pacific Dunes fanboy but surely Bandon Trails is a more "fun" course, right? Pacific is a bit gruelling for some.

I need to rethink Pacific Dunes. I did not think it was overly difficult as Garland was stating. Trials is fun. Simple beginning and awesome variety of par 3s. Superior group of par 3s.

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
Are they selling Let’s go Bandon gear yet? I’m not a big fan of Pacific but it is more fun than BT. The sleigh ride up the 14th because of one jolly fat dude isn’t fun at all.

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
Bandon and Prairie Club advertising budgets are strong with this one.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »
I think Pasatiempo is a very good golf course, but I’m surprised to see it on this list. There’s a decent amount of OB and a number of forced carries. I think the chances of an 18 handicapper finishing  the course with one ball are low.

One that I would nominate is Baylands in Palo Alto. Huge fairways, no rough, some interesting holes, and a lot going on around the greens. There are a couple of places you can lose golf balls, but they’re also easily avoidable.

Another is the Celebrity Course at Indian Wells. It might not be the style that many on here prefer, with lush landscaping and waterfalls, but most of the water is far enough removed from likely areas of play and there’s only a couple of forced carries. It’s clearly designed to help people get around without ever really feeling that way. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 12:08:26 PM »
For starters, this list is almost nine years old.  And I doubt the methodology was very scientific:  Forest Dunes' inclusion was likely Matty G's thumb on the scale, for but one example.

I think most of my courses are fun, but I usually cite Ballyneal as my "most fun" course, and it's not mentioned here.

I don't know that a bunch of low-handicap GOLF DIGEST raters are the best guys to ask what's fun.

Rick Sides

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 01:02:35 PM »
Wolf Creek

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 01:10:35 PM »

Have you ever had fun golfing?

If you're not, you've got the wrong hobby.

I don't understand the premise--playing golf is fun. Where you play is a detail.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »

I think for most robots it doesn’t matter the local. The fun is in the repetition of a mechanical up and down motion several times until the path is finished.

But for some creatures with collateral circulation , enjoyment can be found to higher degrees in some locals rather than others. I’ve been to several beaches and some where more enjoyable than others. Actually some were fun. For various different reasons. I’ve had father-in-laws and some were fun and some that were not. I feel comfortable evaluating father—in-laws on a fun scale. All wives are not the same also. Sometimes the worse the wife the better the father-in-law. So I think golf course can be evaluated using an enjoyment experience.

Some Christmas presents are more fun than others. Just bought the new evil knevel that they have started manufacturing again. Works better than the 70s version and thus more fun. Loved the guns of navorone play set by Marx toys but the evil knevel is going to win out the fun contest. Golf is the same. Some courses are fun and some are funner and some are the funnest. Cruden Bay would be the Caesar Palace of Knevel feats Victoria National the Snake River Canyon. I’m glad Golf Digest can see this.

Some cities have better hospitality than others. I’m going with Bangkok as a Fun 10. And it’s so superior that there will be no other 10s awarded. The next funnest place can only be awarded a 9. Amed is a 8.5. Golf Courses the same.  Cruden Bay is the Bangkok of golf.

The star spangled banner can move you to tears. Ariana Grande in Seattle is the North Berwick of tributes. Carl Lewis is the Torry Pines.

It’s nice to see that the folks at Golf Digest are not robots and have brains enough to suggest that there is a distinction from what is great and what is fun. That some courses are greater than others and some courses are funner than others. Fire and brimstone upon their heads. Thou has sinned and be forced to play carnoustie in the pouring rain. 

I will also add that some playing partners are 10 and some are not. I did not properly “evaluate “ Old Macdonald because my playing partner was a Fun 10. Gib. And it was one of the most enjoyable rounds I’ve played. Bill McBride complained for 18 holes about Garland and I enjoying each other’s company at Sherwood CC. He’s not a 10.

I’ve had Fun 10 caddies and …. Well they’ve all been 10s.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back