News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:What Should be the Fate of the Pond on the Sixteenth at Garden City?
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2003, 08:11:24 AM »
Tom MacW:

I'm not sure what's being referred to as a total vacuum of knowledge on here but this so-called SS approach probably needs to be looked at more carefully on here as to what exactly its accomplishing.

Its nice to sort of expound on things and discuss them in sort of a "strict school" approach but many on here are still interested in figuring out some way of inducing the clubs and courses out there we talk about all the time to respond to this site and it's sure no secret that in almost every single case they either aren't responding or if and when they ever do they're being driven away.

I don't think we need to figure out why that is anymore---we know what it is now. What we need to do next is do something to prevent that from happening.

The best and most effective way of doing that, in my opinion, is for those on here who do have something valuable to say to clubs to begin to learn better how to better understand members and memberships and to begin to see things better through their eyes. Without that this site will just continue to drive them away.

T_MacWood

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2003, 08:25:43 AM »
I’m referring to Sean not knowing what he talking about.

I have no idea what the ‘strict school’ is or the 'SS approach' is.

Many club members stop responding because they are told to keep their mouth shut….and I don’t see that ever changing. But on the positive side, I don’t think that will prevent others in the future from engaging this group (before being told to shut up). And I don’t think it will stop this group from helping in anyway we can, prehaps privately.

This is an intelligent group, we understand the complications of club politics. One of the realities being, private clubs don’t like their internal issues aired in public…that will never change. Of course that has never stopped us….
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:27:32 AM by Tom MacWood »

George Pazin

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2003, 10:18:52 AM »
Interesting and entertaining response. I would say that it is the EA that is labelling the good guys approach as binary, while seemingly supporting a whimsical, shrug your shoulders, who cares what anyone does to any course approach.

Further, if you can look past Tommy's opening remarks to Cliffhenry for just one moment, you'll see that there was certainly no effort to engage anyone in any sort of dialogue on the part of Mr. Henry. The impression I got from all the various posts was that Mindy had already spoken to Tommy and others in a more private forum - for all I know, she continues to do so.

How do you juxtapose your disdain for the approach of the "SS" with the discussion on this very thread? I haven't seen anyone take shots at rgkeller, I've seen quite a bit of good dialogue going on. I'd like to know specifically why rgkeller feels water is a better hazard than a bunker - I myself fall into the "water hazards are like plane crashes while bunkers are like car crashes" camp, I think sand tempts better, while water encourages repetitious conservative play - but the discussion has been pretty good. Most restoration discussions are, if you can get by the personal stuff.

As usual, the truth likely falls somewhere in between. But I believe far more good comes from respecting the original work than chalking everything up to "progress." I don't see the desire to remain as original as possible having its logical conclusion in ad hominem attacks, but I definitely see the logical conclusion of "who cares, golf courses evolve" resulting in the destruction of classic golf courses.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back